Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sanding wing tips

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sanding wing tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 10:50 PM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sanding wing tips

If your like me, one of your least favorite parts of kit building is sanding down the wing tips. I know there are many harder parts to kit, but this is just so long and boring. Besides my bar sander, is there any better way to do this. Otherwise, I end up spending a half hour on each tip. I cant really saw away the extra wood, or use a dremal. Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2002, 11:01 PM
TerrellFlyer

I use a belt sander to bring the wood close,then hand held electric sander to almost finish, then use bar sander to final sand,it is fast enough the wood can vanish if a person isn't careful,been there.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:38 AM
Dsegal

Instead of the delicate bar sander get a piece of scrap wood and tack around it something potent like 80 grade sandpaper to do the rough material removal. Another useful tool for only about 5 bucks is a Master razor plane which will take off controlled strips of wood without a lot of muscle power. It takes plenty of time to carve a wing tip so put on your favorite music as you do it.

Dave Segal
Old 11-03-2002, 02:05 AM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Just tried it with the belt sander, then the 80-grit sandpaper and it goes a million times faster. I'm finally done! at least for this kit... thanks for the help