Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GREAT PLANES ULTIMATE (kit)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GREAT PLANES ULTIMATE (kit)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GREAT PLANES ULTIMATE (kit)

That's beautiful, a real inspiration since I have one of these kits still in box.
I also have yellow/White in mind, well I have yellow/white in mind for many planes because it's one of my favourite schemes.
BTW, you forgot to cover the struts between the wings

Beautiful plane, good job!
Please shoot a video, I'm dying to see the Ultimate40/Saito72 in the air!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:29 PM
SLOWFLY58

Looks SUPER Thanos !!!!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Hope mine turns out that nice. I'm still poking along about halfway through the fuse, but I am off from work for the next two weeks and should be able to get a lot done to it before I go back.

Dale

Old 11-19-2005, 08:16 AM
thanosg2004

Maiden Flight report.
I was lucky to find a calm day this morning even if it was ready to rain, so I quickly assembled the plane and filled the tank.
My Saito 72 FA started with just one spin from starter. Last check and range check and ready for take off.
TAKE OFF.
It is very easy. No right rudder needed. Straight on the track with some elevator for keeping tail down until accelaration is enough and then
a touch of elevator.
FLYING.
Some trimming and there it is. Stable with no bad tendences or surprises. Loops rolls and inverted and then a low pass
to see how great it looks in the sky. As far as vertical , I could say that SAITO 72 with 13X6 APC prop is fair enough ( still new and running rich ). It wont climb for ever
but its ok , having in mind the normal way that I fly my models. For more hot things a bigger engine is a must.
Haven't used high rates. Only the suggested low.
LANDING.
What can I say ? I was surprised finally. I thought that some speed was needed to land it but in fact with the engine idle it lands great
with a little touch of elevator in order to level it just before touch down. ( as I said there was a calm day NO wind at all It will probably land better with some
wind ).
Cowl is still one piece.
Just 3 tanks flying today as rain started falling.
Next weekend if the weather is good I will try to have someone to shoot a video.

TEST005 I did finally cover struts before flying.

That's all friends , hope you build and fly yours soon.

Thanos.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Blue_Moon_

congrats!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 PM
minan59
My Feedback: (1)

I'm at the point of mounting an engine to the airframe. I'm going to put a Saito 72 on it. My question is would it be better to the engine horizontal as it appears the directions show or mount the engine inverted? Ant thoughts? Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 01:51 AM
thanosg2004

Mike ,
I just followed the plans with my SAITO 72.
I've seen some people mounting the engine invertred too.
I don't think that there will be any problem you will only have to search for the glow plug any time
you want to start your engine.
If you insist on inverted maybe a remote glow plug connector will be better to use.

Thanos.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like to mount an engine inverted. Sometimes engines are finicky when mounted upside down, but the main reason is that in the event of a nose-over your engine is the first thing to hit the ground![:@]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Saito 72 inverted on a Laser 3D (R.I.P.). The needles seemed unusually sensitive at first, but eventually I got it to run well. As Thanos said, if you mount the engine inverted you will almost certainly want a remote glow.

I am just about ready to start covering my Ultimate Bipe. I plan to mount the Saito on its side.

Thanos, that is one nice looking plane!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one of these a few years ago with OS 70. Would flat spin like nobody's business, but knife edge was difficult. Lots of coupling. Never experimented with dialing out using the radio. Take off and landing were great. Plane was tough! Flew into trees twice with very little damage. Plastic cowl can be made much stronger by using boat fiberglass (heavy duty) from Wal Mart glued in place using PVC pipe cement. Just use the dauber to stick glass on. Melts into the ABS stuff. Adds a little weight, but cowl will last a long time.

Mine had flutter due to too loose of a fit on the wood struts. Anyone else have this?

Finally gave mine away--didn't like all the set up at field and it would not fit in car fully assembled.

Good luck.

Greg
Old 11-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Test005

Congratulations on the maiden.
I'm eagerly awayting some inflight video of that beauty!
My U40 is still on hold, right now I'm building the Sig SE and I'll be moving to my new place in two months. There I will have my own dedicated hobby-room and I will get that Ultimate project on it's way.
...I was thinking about ordering two OS .70fs, one for the SSE and one for the Ultimate40, let's see
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM
69 roadrunner

Hello guys if anyone can remember or is building one, on the struts they dont bolt in or screw in. what did you guys do just let them slid in and did it have any problems. Thank you steve
Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM
a340

The struts have a decent sized tab on them that slid into a slot, no need for screws.

Leigh.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
69 roadrunner

Hey guys I need to know what the cg is thanks the runner
Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 PM
69 roadrunner

Hey guys need help I was flying my ultimate today and I did a hammer head the plane would not pull up just strait down to the ground. It was a total loose any ideas. Thank yoe steve