Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help me pick my next kit - I can't decide !

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help me pick my next kit - I can't decide !

Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
rwithey
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick my next kit - I can't decide !

I have built a few kits and am trying to decide what the next should be. I have built a SIG LT-40, SIG 4*60(RIP), Goldberg Tiger 60, GP SuperSportster 40 MKII ARF, & Thunder Tiger Raptor 30v2 heli.

I put a SuperTigre new G-90 in the 4*60 and it rekitted on the third outing do to aileron flutter stripping both gears in a fast dive. My fault - overpowered. Anyway, I now need a kit for the G-90 as a winter project. I was thinking a TopFlite warbird (P40,P51,Corsair) but have also thought of the Extra, Edge, Sukoi CAP styles as well. I am thinking something along the scale lines and the use of a pitts type muffler since the ST muffler is HUGE and UGLY. I really would rather not build just another sport type plain plane.

So, what are you experiences with this engine in planes you enjoy - and what you do in my position?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-19-2005, 09:48 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Help me pick my next kit - I can't decide !

The 90 will fit nicely on any of the Top Flite 60 size warbirds. They all build into nice planes and are a bit of a builders kit, but well worth the effort. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto on the TF warbirds - A GP Super Skybolt would be another good choice
Old 10-20-2005, 04:04 PM
campbec

Hi,

One of the many other excellent models you might like to consider that will suit you motor and desires to move into scale look aircraft would be the Goldberg Super Chipmunk. This is a great model to fly and easy to add all sorts of details to reflect the late Art Scholl's air show ship.

Here in Australia there arn't too many that show up at scale flys so you have something a little different in civilian scale.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

What about the new TopFlite Piper Arrow?

[link=http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0290.html]http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0290.html[/link]

Kerry
Old 10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
mcarleno

First warbird at the .60-.90 size I would recommend the p-47 in the top-flite series. Big wing, some dihedral awsome looking, lots of scale stuff you can do (sliding canopy, cock-pit, radial engine, bombs/tanks). Kits as a P-47D<25 Razorback or optional +25 Series Bubble top. Minor modifications to the wing tips and dorsal fin you can build Ms or Ns as well. Lots of cool color schemes.

Skyshark also makes a great 60 size kits, they call for .60-.75 2 Stroke but will take the G-90 fine!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:28 PM
rwithey

Thanks for the advise everyone!

I stopped by my LHS today and they and maybe fate made the decision for me.
I have always loved the Corsairs - was my first choice when I started the hobby for a warbird. After looking around awhile online the Mustangs and the Warhawks were looking pretty good too. However, the LHS had only one of the TF kits in stock.....the Corsair.....so in the car it went and is now at home with me!

My one concern with the Corsair is that in Realflight G3 it is almost impossible for me to come to a complete stop after landing with out nosing over - even with full up elevator. The other warbirds in G3 do not seem so diffcult in that way. Maybe yet another bug in G3???

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 10-20-2005, 09:06 PM
JCOKEEFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]Check out the threads and pictures of the Sig
Astro Hog currently in this forum. I recommend
that you build the Hog kit for a project in the
future.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 PM
intermidiot

Hello There,

I am new to building, about a year now.. However, the kit of the p51d has been on my burner for about 3. Traveled to Australia for awhile.. However, I was thinking as my next project ( since I love building ) I would build the

1/4 Scale Citabria Pro*
http://www.balsausa.com/kits/kit.htp?id=14&shopperid=

There are some other fine planes there, but this one seems to be quite impressive. Please let us know what you decide on. As much as I would like to get some help on this forum for this plane. It seems it might be far and few between.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 PM
rwithey

ORIGINAL: intermidiot

Please let us know what you decide on.

I bought the TopFlite Corsair 60. See my previous post as to why. I think I will be very happy! The kit looks great - am inventorying parts now.

Rob
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Edwin

Rob,
Been there done that. You'll love the corsair with an ST90 in it. Thats what I had many years back. Great flying combo. I used the slimline large volumn pitts muffler. It gives the ST90 a nice deep growl that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up on a low high speed pass. Do a ton of research on retracts. I used robart 615's and they were the worst curse ever put on that plane. Seriously, look at the robinairs or sierras. More money but you wont have the problems. I have no personal experience with CJ but know friends that have them. They ALL said they would buy something else next time. Just do the research, CJ may actually work out for you. But check it out thoroughly first and find someone with experience with them. I didnt put a lot of fluff on my corsair mainly to keep it light. Mine weighed just under 10 lbs ready to fly. Money kote covered, wont do that again either. When I use a mylar covering I use Ultra kote. It still wrinkles in the hot Texas sun but its not as bad and I can reshrink it for years. Money kote stops reshrinking after awhile and you have a geriactric looking plane. Building the flaps scared me at first but if you do it exactly as the plans and instructions say you wont have any problems. It was much easier than I thought it would be. The rest of the build is pretty straight forward. I built per the plans and was happy. The maiden flight made me a nervous wreak but in hind sight it really wasnt that bad. It was my first warbird. I had practiced doing power on landings with a SS60 and I think that helped a lot. Use the flaps when landing. Practice doing landing approches with the flaps up high. It doesnt take that long to get comfortable. At high speed it has the typical corsair tail waggle. Slow down a little and it stops, no big deal. I really miss that plane. Lost it due mostly to the retracts. The levers kept bending. I just couldnt land soft enough or slow enough on that grass runway and that was with shock absorbing oleo struts. The cowl took the brunt of the abuse. Broke the cowl mounts. During repair I missed some damage. The cowl broke lose during flight and hit the back of the prop, breaking one side off. The few seconds it ran shook the plane so hard that when I deployed the gear a strut fell to the groud. So I retracted the gear and spent too much time following the strut to the ground. Noticed too late that I was near stall. DONT STALL this plane. It takes too much altitude to recover. All the corsairs I've had stall the same way. They roll and dive inverted to the ground. I call that the corsair doe-see-doe. You better have the altitude to recover or you smack the ground hard. Thats what I did.
You're gonna love it. Nothing looks like a warbird low and fast.
The ST90 is currently in a .60 sized scratch built mustang with the same muffler. ST engines have been good to me. Got a .75 with around 200 hours on it and the .90 has about 40 hours on it. I didnt bother putting a hole in the corsiar cowl for the high speed needle valve. Just set it and forget it. The engine fit fully inside the cowl and make sure you put the baffle on. The engine will overheat if you dont.
Edwin
Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 PM
jrbmoto

Try a Pacific Aero Models Edge 540...They really fly nice and are available in all white so you can add your own trim sceme! I put one together with an OS .50...trimed it with teal Monocoat....Whew...that was a nice plane!!