Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Somethin' Extra Wing Joiner size

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Somethin' Extra Wing Joiner size

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:12 PM
mattebox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Somethin' Extra Wing Joiner size

Hi all, can someone with a Somethin' Extra measure the I.D. and O.D. of the aluminum wing joiner? I lost mine and need to head to Aircraft Spruce to buy a new one. A thousand thank-yous to anyone who can kindly help.

Thanks!
Tim
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 PM
nickj

Default RE: Sig Somethin' Extra Wing Joiner size

I went down to my cold garage and stumbled through the dark for the light switch, stubbing a toe in the bargain, so I hope you appreciate this. The tube measures 7/8" O.D. and it looks like a .035 wall (about 1/32").
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM
mattebox

Risking life and limb for a fellow RC'er...you sir deserve TWO thousand thank yous!! Seriously, thanks man. That was the exact size I was planning to get and did get at Aircraft Spruce today. Darn thing only cost 3 bucks!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you specify either the kit or the ARF as they are different wing tubes, believe it or not.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM
DamonTX

If all else fails, just go to sigmfg.com and you can order one pretty cheap. I just ordered one (and a canopy) for the SSE twin below and I think it arrived in 4 or 5 days.

Damon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62905.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	343346  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
blw

Awwright!!! We had a nice little chat going here and you had to show up with an outrageously beautiful twin SE pic. I'm hoping that you tell some about building it and what engines you are using. That really looks good......thanks for the pic.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
DamonTX

Hehe, I couldn't help it. All year I've been working on twin SSEs. I started a thread in the twin forum on two that I did this year http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27..._1/key_/tm.htm This is the first one it did in March which has since been retired. The twin fuselage one I posted earlier flies incredibly well and I'm thinking about doing another one this winter with a few more modifications.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75104.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	343844  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 PM
blw

I certainly do remember the twin and I was lamenting the fact that I lost the thread link some weeks ago to a buddy who has built a lot of SEs. Thanks for adding it here.

I'm wondering why you retired the twin so early. The sheeting job looked too good to cover!

Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 PM
DamonTX

Well the first one (red&white) flew and landed well and I think is nicer looking than the twin fuse. I really could've made it lighter by setting it up with high torque minis for the ailerons and not fully sheeting the wings. It's 9.5lb. weight wasn't a huge issue but it did need more power than the 2 .25FXs for top speed. The main reason I retired it is because the nacelles were too far outboard. They could've easily been moved in another rib bay. It also needed more out-thrust. When I had the final engine out, I was able to keep it going straight but lost it in the turn. The wing tube messed the fuse up a little and the left wing tip was crushed.

The amazing thing was the wing tube...It had a huge bend in it. When I pulled it out after the wreck I tried to see what it would take to bend it. I'm about 220 lbs. myself and all my weight bearing down on it couldn't bend the thing.

When I finish my current project, I'm thinking about blowing the SE plans up a little and making a twin .60 sized version of the twin fuse one.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
blw

Sorry to hear about the engine out and crash. These planes repair easily. I'm flying one that a friend gave me after he was tired of repairing it. I gave it a new nose section, cheeks, bottom decking, wingtip ribs, and new aileron. I had a midair with another SE and we both had wing and fuselage repairs to do (again for me.) They seem to take quite a bit of damage as our wing to wing midair was a substantial hit. He landed with a long section of my leading edge stuck in his fuselage like a spear. Both planes flew well and landed fine. He later crashed his and commented on the bent wing tube like yours!

You could shim the engines for the correct thrust angles, and maybe use larger engines. I saw a Rossi .40 this weekend and it was a very fast engine. Or, the Evo .45 training engine is inexpensive and very, very powerful. The one that I have refuses to quit no matter what I do to it.

What engines did you put in your second twin?