Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super Chipmunk Flaps

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Chipmunk Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Barnowl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Chipmunk Flaps

I have just completed building a Goldberg Chipmunk and hope to fly it the first day the weather is good. I built mine with flaps, and if I understand the instructions correctly, when the flaps extend nose down elevator will be required. Is this correct? When I lower the flaperons on my CG Ultimate I have nose up elevator programmed, and I am surprised that the Chipmunk is reversed.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Super Chipmunk Flaps

You will find that as you drop the flaps, the added lift will cause the plane to rise. if you're going fast at the time, the rise will be dramatic.

I never programmed down elevator into the flaps, I just let the plane slow down before deploying them. I got a little rise, but that's to be expected. The flaps on the Chippy work great - try them without any added mixing first before you try any programming
Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 PM
nickj

Yeah, I never got a big lift from my CG Chipmunk with the flaps deployed, just more drag. In full-scale you need a lot of forward pressure on the yoke when the flaps go down. I'm surprised any plane would have the reverse of that. On my Chipmunk, the nose would rise a bit but it was really easy to manage with the stick.

You are going to have ball with that airplane.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Kwigen

I programmed a little down at flap deployment. It doesn't take much, a couple of degrees and it does make a difference on how the plane handles on approach. Experiment a little with what you feel comfortable with. Your going to love this plane. Tracks like its on wires, does a really cool tail slid and is the best knife edge plane I have. Besides, it just looks good in the air. Have fun.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
DaveB

The method I use to determine the amount of down elevator when deploying flaps is when you first lower the flaps, set the elevator trim tab to the achieve the desired attitude of the plane. Then after landing, note the elevator position with the resulting trim tab setting. Then program the radio so that the down elevator is set to that position when the flaps are lowered.

There a probably better ways to determine the elevator setting, but that's what I do; it's easy and it seems to work well.

DaveB
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

My CG Chippy doesn't have flaps. But some of my other planes do. I deploy flaps the same way as MinnFlyer. I slow down first and then I start rolling in the flaps. No ballooning at all. I'm shocked that people do it any other way.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:18 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On mine the nose would rise a litttle but would never stall. It would slow down and settle in to nice slow glide. They do work well.

Dru.