Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What do you use to cut Balsa Wood Perfectly

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What do you use to cut Balsa Wood Perfectly

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Newflyer-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use to cut Balsa Wood Perfectly

Hello,

Building my first kit. I have been using a Exacto knife to crosscut & rip balsa would to size. Cant seem to get it perfect. Edges chip off etc....

Also, If the plan calls for 5/8's width do you rip bigger pieces of would to size or purchase that size?

Any hints tips etc would be very helpful.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Several questions come to mind...

Are you building a KIT, or buying wood and building from PLANS?

As far as cutting goes, I use either a single edged razor, an Exacto knife (#11 Blade) or a razor saw Which are available at hobby or craft shops.

As for buying or cutting, buy if they have it, if not, you can make a nice little jig for cutting strips.

Just stack up some sheets to the thickness you want, with a larger sheet in the back as a wall. Then place a #11 blade on top, with one final sheet to hold it in place and bolt or clamp it together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33758_7722.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	21514  
Old 11-04-2002, 10:04 PM
TerrellFlyer

at the local hobby shop I bought a balsa stripper,cuts long strips of balsa at different lengths,also use 4 foot metal ruler/straight edge,like sheetrockers use,cross grain cutting I use a balsa saw or bandsaw with a fine blade, if cuts are crooked,then saw close to size needed the sand to final size or shape,if plans call for 5/8" width then 5/8" is what I use.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:47 AM
Brian Soltis

Take a small, table-top table saw, put a fine toothed blade in it, crank the blade all the way down, clamp or bolt a nice flat piece of 1Xsomething board to it and slowly crank the blade up through the board while it is running. Zero clearance.

I haven't actually had the opportunity to use it much but it works great on thick balsa!
Old 11-06-2002, 05:24 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

If you really want a good cheap way to cut precise, check harbor freight's web site (or if you have a local store). I bought a small table saw, like Brian is talking about, with a 4" blade. I think I paid about $40.00. It cuts anything , including brass and aluminum, blades are cheap.

If you're trying to get your wood extremely precise, cut it slightly long with a razor saw and flush sand it against a fence to fit. You can easily build a sanding jig with an adjustable angle fence like Micro Mark sells, out of scrap wood, plywood, pine, etc...

D