Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*120

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:24 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*120

This might not be the place to ask this but you people have helped me a lot on going to gas.I really want to build that 4* and put a gasser on it so I have been reading the ads and looking around.How good are the engines that look like the glow engines and mount the same way are they good for the 4*120? any eadier to run and mount in the plane and so on?I'm really getting hooked on the gas thing,my wife just said sell off some of the kits and engines to do it so when it's time someone is going to get a deal and a half.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:58 PM
DamonTX

Default RE: 4*120

I've gone gas on several planes now and absolutely love it. All I've used is Zenoah's and will probably keep it that way since I have no reason to switch. A good one for a 4*120 is an old Zenoah G23 (as seen in the picture) or their newer G26, best of all, they're not that expensive compared to a 4-stroke 1.20.

Mounting is no harder than mounting a 2 stroke except you have to attach a kill switch. You'll also need gas fuel line and stopper for your tank. IMHO gas is much more reliable, less finnicky and more fuel efficient. Knock on wood, I haven't had a dead stick with any of my gassers so far. In my gallery is another Cub with the larger G45.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69437.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	344029  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: CTDave

This might not be the place to ask this but you people have helped me a lot on going to gas.I really want to build that 4* and put a gasser on it so I have been reading the ads and looking around.How good are the engines that look like the glow engines and mount the same way are they good for the 4*120? any eadier to run and mount in the plane and so on?I'm really getting hooked on the gas thing,my wife just said sell off some of the kits and engines to do it so when it's time someone is going to get a deal and a half.
Get a Ryobi 31cc weedie engine and then go here for all the parts:

www.wackerengines.com

You can convert a Ryobi 31cc engine for about $100.

You can buy Ryobi weedies from garage sales, local small engine repair shops, lawn mower shops. You shouldn't be paying more than about $20 for a used one.

Buy a new ring from Frank Bowman in Farmington, NM.

Get a lightened flywheel from wackerengines.

Cut the firewall back 1"--maybe a little more. 1.25"

Put 2 elevator servos in the tail and leave the rudder servo out untill you find out where it will balance.

10 or 12oz tank.

16-8 or 17-6 prop. Keep it well under 8000RPM or it'll explode. Prop for about 7000RPM or a little less on the ground.

Have a ball and fly it for pennies.

Convert it to a 2-piece removable wing on an aluminum tube and tell me how you did it. Pics please.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
C_Heath

I just wished I could find a 4* 120. I am relatively new to planes and currently on a gas trainer (.40) butI really am into LARGE planes. I guy at my airfield has a 4* 60 and its huge. I like it, even tried to buy it but to no avail. SInce the 120 comes in the kit and not an ARF then Im pretty much porked unless I can find a used one. Heck, Id take a ace Big bingo if I could get a nice one that wasnt older than me.

Good luck on your build.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not that hard to build. Slab fuselage sides and built up tail surfaces. Built up wings.

I had--key word---HAD and Ace Bingo 60 size once. Sweet flying plane. I ground it into the runway showing off at a fun fly. We were doing the limbo and I decided to do it inverted when the tape was down to 4' off the runway. I was all lined up and coming down the runway about 8' off the deck--200 people watching--and it was sinking VERY slowly. I just didn't push enough. Tore the cylinder head on my TT .91 4-stroke to kibbles and bits. Trashed the plane.

Everybody started clapping and howling when they saw that I was coming in inverted---but they got very quiet when I hit the asphalt. Then the hushed, "EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW" as it ground to a halt.[&:][&:][&:][&:][&:]

I still get ribbed about that one.[:-]

If you have any building skills at all and the space to do it--go ahead and build the 4*120. It's easy to build and if you need help---you'll get plenty around here. Just ask questions BEFORE you glue something together when you get confused.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 PM
C_Heath

thx! alot!