Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Byron Christen Eagle

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Byron Christen Eagle

Old 11-06-2002, 08:57 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Byron Christen Eagle

I finally got my hands on a Byron Christen Eagle! (Thanks RCUniverse and Byronman)

I had been dreaming about this plane for a long time, it is finally gonna happen. Now I have a few decisions to make, so any help from people that have this plane would be appreciated.

First what is the best way to go, fiberglass finish or Hangar 9 Easycoat (ultracote lite/econocote).

Second, for engine selection I was pretty sure I would go glow because of the whole gas eating foam problem, although I know tank leaks are rare I sure wouldn't want to lose this plane to something like that. So, I was thinking of a Moki 2.1, possibly the MVVS 2.15 on glow also. A gas engine sure is tempting right now, so many options.

Servo selection seems pretty straight forward to me. I was planning on using what I have in my GP Pitts 4 Hitec 422's for the ailerons and Hitec 645's for the rudder (1) and elevator (2). Any suggestions in this department.

Well that's a start, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:57 PM
Mendes

OK, my engine selection problems are solved. I picked up a Moki 2.10 in the swap shop. I am still looking for suggestions about finishing this plane.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:53 PM
2 wing pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Pitts from Byron. At first it had covering then I decided to glass and paint. Should have left it alone. It still flew good but was a bear to land, really added lots of weight painting it. They fly alot better the lighter they are. I wouldn't paint one again. Hope this helps. Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Mendes

What type of engine were you using? How was the performance? I think Ultracote lite is what I will end up using. I have never done a glass finish before anyway, so I wasn't looking forward to learning how on this plane.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:22 AM
2 wing pilot

I had a G62 on it. It was plenty before painting it. If I remember it weighed almost 24lbs without fuel or smoke fluid. The performance wasn't qiuet the same after the paint.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:32 AM
Mendes

WOW!! 24 lbs. I was hoping for 16-18, I might have to rethink my engine selection. The Moki will be suffering at anything over 20 lbs.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:30 AM
w0mbat

I have one that is covered with ultracote. I have a Zenoah G-38 and Standard Servos. It weights about 17 lbs and flies pretty nice. It is way underpowered with this engine. I am working on another one - this time I am glassing and using a G-62. I plan on using very little paint
Old 11-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Mendes

w0mbat,

Did you use standard Ultracote, or Ultracote lite? I am really worried about melting the foam when it comes time to cover.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:44 PM
2 wing pilot

When I stated 24lbs that was after I glassed and painted and added smoke. Before that it was great.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:22 AM
w0mbat

Mine was standard ultracote. A word of warning - if you use ultracote, the foam dents very easily. Mine looks as though it has been through a war!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:10 PM
2 wing pilot

Your right. It shows dents and dings much more than glass and paint. You just have to be careful on transporting and storage.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Mendes

Hmmm, I hadn't even thought about the foam denting. Mine will be hauled around in my trailer so hopefully it won't get too much hangar rash.

BTW how easy or hard was it to put the feather decals on? Any tips?
Old 11-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Mendes

I have been reading through the construction manual for this plane, getting ready to start building. It is really well written, far better than I expected it to be.

One neat feature of this plane that I never heard anyone talk about is the hinged canopy. That is a great asset on a bipe, you can do maintanence inside without having to take the wings off.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:45 AM
RC Buff

Mendes,

How's your progress coming?? I was able to pick up one of these kits as well, thanks to a fellow RCU member. I haven't began building yet. Any early suggestions?

I'm also thinking about glassing, but now I'm a little concerned with the weight. I'm just not comfortable with the film over foam.

Also think I'm going to risk it, and go with a gassor. (I'll use plenty of fuel proofing inside.)

Brett
Old 01-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Mendes

No progress yet! I am hoping to start this weekend. I started building a Great Planes Ultra Sport + (see other thread in this forum) and put the Eagle aside.

Once I start there will be plenty of pics and updates!

I would love to go with a gasser, the fuel eating foam scares me though. I think the Moki 2.1 will be perfect for this plane.

I'll post some info once I get going.