Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Super Sportster

Hi All,
    I'm finally getting back into RC after 15 years. I started with some electric parkflyers, and now I'm ready to build again. I'm really interested in building another Super Sportster (I built a SS 20 15 years ago)

Does anyone know of any online stores that still have some in stock?

What is the benefit (if any) of the SS 60 over the SS 40?
    Since I have to buy all new stuff anyway, I can get either.

Thanks,
    J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Super Sportster

I built the 40, 60, and 90 size Sportsers over the years. Never flew the 90 size one. But I liked the 60 a lot. It's one of the only planes I ever built more than one of. (The Goldberg Skylary MkII was the other.) The 40 size one seemed a little squirrely to me. These kits are well built, but are really heavy. I wouldn't be surprised that with today's construction methods, you could cut a pound off the weight of the 60.

Get the 60 and a 90 size 4 stroke. You won't be sorry.....
    Joe Andrews

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply!
    Maybe you could clear up some confusion I have (believe me, there is a lot of that!). What is the difference in performance and function - 2 vs. 4 stroke - when applied to airplanes? I just used a .25 os engine on my SS 20 (and yes, it was squirrely as hell). That is the only gas engine I've owned. Also, what is the difference between Glow vs. Nitro?
    Thanks for your patience, I've got a learning curve ahead of me!
    Jonathan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unfortunately you will find that the Super Sportster is no longer available.
    Great Planes in their infinite wisdom saw fit to discontinue them.

With the rapid narrowing of the selection of kits available from GP/Tower
    they are no longer seeing any of my hard earned dollars.

2 vs. 4 stroke
    Explaining that would take an entire book. Greatly simplified
    2 strokes are generally best for fast planes turning a smaller
    diameter higher pitch prop. 4 strokes are best for larger slower
    planes using a larger diamter lower pitch prop.

2 strokes are great for RPMS while 4 strokes are great for torque.

Glow vs. Nitro
    Different terms applied to the same thing.

Mike Hammer
    Moved to Iowa...goodbye to Illinois...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is the difference in performance and function - 2 vs. 4 stroke - when applied to airplanes? I just used a .25 os engine on my SS 20 (and yes, it was squirrely as hell). That is the only gas engine I've owned. Also, what is the difference between Glow vs. Nitro?

Check eBay for SS kits.

4 strokes usually have less power than comparable 2 strokes, so you have to increase the size. Typically, when the kit calls for a .40 2 stroke, a .60 4 stroke can be used. 4 strokes excel in prop-swinging, and can turn a larger prop than comparable 2 strokes.

Glow and nitro are different names for the same thing, a methanol-based fuel engine. This fuel typically has nitro mixed in for several reasons. These labels differentiate methanol-fueled engines (which use glow plugs) from gasoline (which uses spark plugs). Methanol fuel is NOT "gas".

Dr.1
    There\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s a Hun in the sun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While it is true that GP no longer distributes the sportster kits, they're still out there. Try the classifieds under this website, ebay, or a google search. I've found lots of older discontinued kits by going this route. Hope this helps.
    Redleg 7, King of Battle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you can't find or get hold of a kit, get the arf version (it's still available-for a while). I have a os 52 fs in mine and love it. A two stroke would get me more speed, but the torque and sound of the four... Fuel lasts a bit longer with a four stroke vs. a two stroke. Under the canopy I have a voltwatch, where a pilot bust would be (couldn't find a troll doll).
    I bought a SS60 on ebay a month ago. I think it's an older version, since the wing gets fiberglassed in the middle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm34996.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	357502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35962.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	357503  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: XTOL

With the rapid narrowing of the selection of kits available from GP/Tower
    they are no longer seeing any of my hard earned dollars.
    Sorry, but Tower has more kits than anyone else.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7p?CATEGORY=AA

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about an Ultra Sport? No? How about a Super Sportser? No?
    How about an Aeromaster? No? Sorry 3 strikes and you are out.
    I'll even give you 4 strikes...how about a Tracer? Sorry lost again.

Those are the 4 planes I've wanted over the past couple of years. Im building
    an Ultra Sport from scratch. Found a SS60 on Ebay. Still looking for
    an Aeromaster and a Tracer.

You not only lost out on sales of those kits had you still had them
    available but all the attendant accessories (covering/hardware/engines)
    that go with them.

Compare what GP/Tower has available today compared to 5/10 years ago.
    Sorry but your assertion holds no water.

Mike Hammer
    Moved to Iowa...goodbye to Illinois...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bax

Agreed, Tower/GP/Hobbico does have more kits than anyone else. That's because Hobbico has bought out alot or controls distribution for much. Tower has been responsible for through keeping cost down that many of us have enjoyed, but this has come at the expense of driving numerous competitors out. Now that so many are gone, we are loosing many of the kits that where available from them (Royal, Pica, ...) and now kits only available from Tower (et al). I know that ARFs sell, you make money (lots of it from what I can tell) but to nix many of the kits in favor of ARFs is really, really sad for us and our hobby. If only some of those where available still in the form of a box of balsa many folks like XTOL and I would be buying your stuff all of the time.

My Holiday catalog has 16 pages of ARFs (glow and electric) and 5 pages of kits. I know that kits come and go but recently more and more are going with very few new kits showing up. The last new kit that I can remember from Great Planes was the Patriot, but there has been probably 10 new ARFs (not available as kits at all).

I know that Tower is following market trends and as a part of the total of the hobby, us kit builders are a much smaller part. The "I got to have now and its got to fly next week croud" has move our hobby from one of time, commitment and love to "Photo-copied" - crash and burn aircraft. But I for one am with XTOL. I will support those manufactures that are still at least trying to provide as much choice to the kit builder as to the "me to group". I will still buy those things from Tower that I can't get anywhere else like your awsome engines, but my dollars are going to vote my market preferences when ever possible and support many of those manufactures who are still comitted to at least supplying nearly as many kits of their offerings as there ARFs.

Granted Tower has (excluding electrics and sail) about 147 kits (26 are Great Planes) and 161 ARFs -- but some of the planes that helped define our hobby as the "Standard" are those kits that XTOL sited. My club of 140+ people, more than half have kits that they have built, we probably have nearly 50 Super Sportsters of nearly every size. When planes like that disappear and are controlled by a copyright by companies like GP, well it just gets our emotions up. We kit builders are passionate about our hobby and it show every time we take a kit built aircraft to the field. My Redstar RC Yak-3 has made twenty or so trips to the field this year and every trip I spend 10-15 talking to someone that just want to admire it. No body every came over and wanted to talk to me about my Uproar! Take note and there is enough gripping on the forum that you should understand that many of us are getting concerned enough to change our voting habbits to Ultracoat, Dubro hardware, Sig Kits, Sullivan Tanks.... all purchased through our LHS. Maybe it won't change your mind, but it will ours!
    Marc Carleno
    AMA 801837

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bax

I know you are a moderator for RCU, and an employee of Hobbico, but I just have to say that I think you are dead wrong, and the two fellows who posted after you have it just about right! Great Planes is getting the reputation in the builders community of being a company who may have the Plane you like one day, but don't get to attached, because they my discontinue it the next. Sig has discontinued a few good kits as well, but it seems they are really trying to hold onto there popular classics, like the Kadet Series as long as possible because I am sure they know that those are the Planes that they built a good reputation from.
    I will be real curious down the road to see what lengths Hobbico will go to try and get customers back who are going to be continually jumping ship if Hobbico's current direction remains unchanged! I have spent a good chunk of Money with Tower, and I to will now start looking for Companys that appear to be going in a direction that best represents my Hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: joebob

I built the 40, 60, and 90 size Sportsers over the years. Never flew the 90 size one..
    The 90 size one flys great, but unfortunately this is another one in a long list of awesome Kits that Great Planes gave the axe to. Like I said "Never get attached to a particular Great Planes Kit, because they have the life span comparable to that of a Hamster." Pictured below is my ole Super Sportster 90/120. I just traded it to a gentleman a few weeks back, and it will be a very hard Plane to replace, or find in kit at a descent price. So my only option will be to scratch build one if I want another more than likely. I sure am not going to hold my breath that Great Planes will ever kit it again, especially now that they have discontinued the 40 and 60 size SS as well.

Name:	Yw66623.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	358311  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O.K.
    I found a Super Sportster .40 on ebay and it is on the way! It looks like an excellent deal, but you know with ebay: you never know what you got till you open it up.
    Now I would like to ask anyone willing to share their opinion on building techniques or tricks to do so.
    It has been over 15 years since I built a kit, and I am all ears (eyes). I just ordered the OS .50 SX to power it.
    Thanks for all the info,
    J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cover the tail surfaces before attaching to the fuse. Congrats on your SS40 acquisition. That kit is getting scarcer than hen's teeth. I have an SS20 that is my pride and joy. I also have several kits of the other sizes stashed away for later builds.
    \"B Positive to ground, over...\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks,
    I hope everything arrives ok. The guy has great feedback and has been Johnny-on-the-spot with the emails. I've had some pretty good luck with Ebay so far - I'm hoping my luck holds *knocking on the wood hobby desk*. Maybe I'm biased now that I have one on the way, but the SS .40 ARF looks like a lifeless shell next to the kit pictures. I know there is a time and place for ARFs, but such a classic plane SHOULD be a kit, not an ARF. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm knee-deep in balsa, but I doubt it
    All I know is building poor fitting GWS planes has produced the kit bug bad, and I can't wait until the SS 40 arrives. That, and I've got a GP P-51 kit waiting in the wings after the sportster is built. It is a shame that great kits like these (SS, US) have been discontinued, but the optimist in me believes that if there is enough demand, companies will still throw us a bone or two with decent kits to buy. In the meantime we circle Ebay like vultures looking for a discontinued kit.
    J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was flying my second GP Super Sportster 90-120 until a mid-air last week. I flew my first one for nine years and sold it. I got the second kit when they made a short run of them a few years ago. I would like to find another kit but haven't so far.
    The difference between the 90 and the 60 and the 60 and the 40 is the same: bigger flies better. Plus, at my age, the bigger they are the better I see them.
    GP is in business to make a profit, and it looks like the market is going in the direction of ARFs and will never come back. Personally, I find that sad, but it's not my company. I can complain, but not criticize.

John Agnew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John

I'm sorry to read about your Gp SSP.

I have to say, I've been out of the hobby for a little over 10 years............I've seen a lot of neat things that I use to image in my head come true. The worst part of being away for so long is finding out how many kits are no longer around. It's like waking from a coma and finding out you friends are all gone.
    I had visions of a nice pica duelist to get me off the ground before I put my Royal P-38 in the air. Well there are lots of other cases in the great planes department too, but I could go on for ever.
    Yes, in the faster than ever, on demand world we live in, who wants to spend the time to learn the relaxing art of building.
    The new art is, cut throat E-bay with jacked up prices. I must admit it's fun,but man the prices can get a bit much.

Hey there's a good marketing Idea.
    "A limited time offer on thoses kits every one loved so much that are not around any more."
    Run the kit for a few months then shut it down......... Just like the Disney moveis.........Every time one of the oldies come out I have to get one.(kids)
    Man I wish I worked for GP.........I could let my boss take all the credit for my great idea, and I would have the satisfaction of knowing I gave something back to th R/C world.

Well there's my two cents
    Again sorry about your plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be a great marketing idea provided the kits were up to quality. I know that when I heard that the BTE Venture was being kitted again in a limited run I dove for my wallet and ordered mine.
    If GP ever kits the 60 sized Kaos again I would get one.
    The trend of this hobby towards only ARF's stinks. I started with ARF's, granted, but fell in love with building the kits. Aside from the obligatory Gentle Lady kit, my first powered kit was the Tower Kaos. They promptly discontinued it a couple of months later.
    Now any kit I like or might want to build in the future I need to haunt Ebay to get it.
    Sucks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fubar-One -

One thing I've started doing on every kit I build is to make a tracing of the parts before I install them. That way if the kit is discontinued and I do ending up re-kitting the plane in smaller pieces than it originally came, I have the tracing of the part to use as a template (wish I thought to do this before I re-kitted my Bridi Sun-Fli 4-20[>:]).
    President and Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club - AMA Intro Pilot
    www.wichitaradiocontrolclub.org AMA 47317

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Something I really should do, I suppose. I take the lazy way out. I buy two kits. One to build and one to keep as my preciousss....
    Not sure how many SS40 kits I got stashed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Building a SS 60 at the moment. Bought the kit last year in local hobby shop. Previous SS60 was powered by a Saito .65 FS as will this one.
    My SS90 is somewhat overpowered with a Saito 1.50 FS but boy it goes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just finished my SS.40 yesterday and she maidens today. The advice I would have for anyone building an SS40 is to thin out as much of the wood in the rear of the plane as possible. They seem to build awfully tail heavy and need alot of lead in the nose to balance properly. I'd thin out the stringers on the turtle deck, and punch some holes in the tail feathers. Use sullivan goldn rods for your elevator and rudder as they are lighter than the wire rods the kit comes with. watch you fuselage alignment in your formers, it's easy to get the formers off if your not watching and building over your plans and then the ass end of the plane is all whacked out and your tail section is off. So in summary....build over your plans...and build staright. Also ditch the torque rod aileron setup and use dual ailerons out on the wings, you'll be much happier with the control performance and reduce your chances of high speed flutter. I also used robart hingepoints on all my control surfaces...there easy to use with the little drill guide($5) and strong as steel. Otherwise have fun with your sportster, there's a reason they get so much love from so many people and why people are pissed all you can get now are SS ARFs. Enjoy! Here are my pics. Like my tuned pipe?

Crash

Name:	Fd92543.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	459783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27860.jpg 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	459784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze84862.jpg 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	459785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq43830.jpg 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	459786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fq89146.jpg 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	459787  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hx33201.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	459788  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models