Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 4*120 Build Thread

Very nice, I love that blue!
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats the SIG Aerocote. Cant get it anymore, they stopped making it.  It is a lot easier to work with than the Monokote, but the color is very close to the MK.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just ordered this kit today. Did anyone put a dle-30 on theirs? If so, how far back did you move the firewall?
    *AMA Club 217 - Columbus, GA*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here's mine with a DLE-30. I did not move the Fire wall back. Servos are in the Location shown on the Plans. I did add length to the Rudder and Elevator, came out Tail heavy and added weight inside the Cheeks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sig 4 Star 120 DLE-30.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	1990743
    Larry
    AMA 160501
    Club: Coastal Bend R/C Association,
    Serving Corpus Christi, Portland, Ingleside, Aransas Pass and Rockport Texas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nice, where did you get a muffler like that?
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Super08 View Post
    Nice, where did you get a muffler like that?
    It's a JTec Radiowave Sport Style Muffler. Here's the Link to their Web Site.
    http://www.jtecrc.com/Sportstylemufflers.htm
    Larry
    AMA 160501
    Club: Coastal Bend R/C Association,
    Serving Corpus Christi, Portland, Ingleside, Aransas Pass and Rockport Texas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks, I have several J Tec's, I never realized they made one like that. Guess a call to Al is in order.
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Getting ready to start one of these babbies, soon as I get my 1/4 cub recovered. I've got a Magnun 120FS
    that needs a home. Ordered a pair of wheel pants from sig for it too.
    R.L.
    cub brother #31
    sig brother #86
    Beware of the educated moron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I just finished up my four star 120 and here are some pictures. Not sure if I will add some more color to the scheme or not but the top front of the fuselage seems kind of empty. I'm not great at color schemes so any ideas are much appreciated. I was inspired by Russmall who built a Tiger II in a similar scheme. I have installed a DLE 20RA which is rear exhaust and I also installed a Bowman ring in it. The cowl was made with 1/2" balsa and balsa triangle stock sanded to a bit sleeker profile with easy access underneath to the engine. I also moved the pilot back one former. It It comes in at 12 pounds dry. I will let you guys know how it performs. I'm not a 3D guy so I think I will be happy. Going to maiden it probably this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00250.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	1991456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00253.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	1991457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00257.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	1991458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00260.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	1991459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00261.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	1991460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00262.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	1991461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00265.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	1991462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00268.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	1991463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00273.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	1991464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00274.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	1991465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00278.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	1991466

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Be interesting to hear how the 20RA is. I fly mine with the DLE20. Had to tweak the needles a hair rich this weekend as it boggled at mid throttle and dead sticked on me. I like how you set the cockpit back further, will make it look even more Corsair like at certain profiles(if it were blue).
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's a slick lookin' bird R/C. I like the way you did the cowling.
    Last edited by cubcrasher; 04-30-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    R.L.
    cub brother #31
    sig brother #86
    Beware of the educated moron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    So yesterday I snuck out to the field when nobody was there in the event that I piled my new bird in on the first flight. I didn't want any witnesses. I can say that for my style of flying the 20RA is more than adequate enough for this 12 pound bird (dry). I had a nylon 16X8 "K" series wide blade prop on it which is probably at the bottom of the scale for efficiency & precision and it did just fine. I didn't get to fly too long as my muffler came loose .I fixed that today. I eased up the throttle to just about half way and she was airborne. I made a few circuits around the pattern and fed in several clicks of down trim and she flew great .I took out all the exponential I had dialed in with the exception of rudder which I have at 60% exponential which make for easy straight takeoffs. I was able to go vertical twice to see how much power I had and while I couldn't get it to hover, it did hang on the prop for a while. When I fixed the muffler mounting I also changed out the prop to a Xoar 17X6 and will see how that does. Will report back next week if I can sneak away for a bit on Mudder's Day and let everyone know how the new prop works out. I would imagine that things will only get better as the DLE 20 RA is broken in. I couldn't even imagine a DLE 30 on this plane I think the 20 is perfect.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The 17x6 may lug the engine a bit more than the MA you had. Try an APC 16X8, thats what I run on mine. It pulls it nicely and the tail braces sing at WOT. The DLE will take at LEAST 2 gallons of fuel befre it breaks in. Mine is about 1.5 gallons through and it is just now starting to run smoothly through the range, and starting to run on the second flip. I have a XOR 16X8 but haven't run it yet, did run the 17, but it didn't have as much OOMPH as the APC.

Mine floats so much that I set up flaperons, to help slow it on landings, and after trying a 16X4 today I switched back to the 8, and practiced flap landings, and pretty much got the hang of them I get the plane over the threshold, then flip them to full which slows it enough to flare without pitching up, and it settles in nice.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    So I got out to the field again for a little while today. I put a few flights on my 4 Star 120 before it started raining. I replaced the prop with a Xoar 17X6 prop and that is what I will stick with. I tached it at 8400 rpm and 12 pounds and 6 ounces of static thrust. The plane and engine combination is perfect. I can go vertical out of sight forever if I let it. The plane and engine are a perfect match, even at 12 pounds dry which is a bit heavy for this plane. I am sure that I have some engine tweaking ahead of me but I just wanted to fly today and didn't mess with the mixture settings at all. Ground handling is great. The DLE 20RA is a great little engine that has not dead sticked on me yet. It will sputter a little bit in the mid-range but I will try tuning that out later. I will come in for landing with a little throttle above idle for 3 point landings. If anyone plans on building this bird with the DLE 20 don't remove any rib bays (as is a common recommendation to prevent floating) as the plane is going to come out heavier with the gasoline engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a regular DLE20 and I removed a bay off each panel, and it still floats forever. I had a dead stick first time out this year and I literally had to stall it to land it. It will take at least 2 gallons of fuel through it before you will get smooth transitions through the throttle range, mine is just now running great through the entire throttle range. It is starting up really easy now too, good little engine. I am running a 16X8 APC, dont have unlimited vertical, but if almost hovers. If I lost a pound it would hover! Next time out I think I will be more comfortable to put it through more lower level paces, been flying high to get my wings back, and it gets pretty damned high.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    acdii,
    How much does your bird weigh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by R/C Addiction View Post
    acdii,
    How much does your bird weigh?
    Not a clue, never weighed it. I built mine a bit different, moved the elevator servo to the tail, and moved the rest of the servos forward to offset the tail servo, use a pull-pull for the rudder, added a servo for the choke and mounted the fuel tank on the CG. Batteries are in the nose, and I use a 4 cell for the ignition and a LIFE for the RX. I used SIG instead of monojoke too. I also built the wing balanced, I weighed all the parts and made sure each wing weighed the same from center line out, when laterally balanced I needed no weight on either wing. I drilled 3/4" holes through the ribs up to where the servos mount and made a paper tube for the servo leads, and I also made carved wingtips instead of the flat ones. I made a hatch under the nose to access the ignition and batteries, and it also is where I mounted the weights. Needed 2 oz to balance and I still think its a tad nose heavy.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Joining up since Super08 talked Cubcrasher into posting his progress on his new 4*120 kit.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132