Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*120 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*120 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:46 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks fine where you have it.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Nice clean construction.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

A 91 2 stroke may be too much motor for the plane, both in torque and weight. The 4*120 will be yanked around the sky with one. They are some massive motors, a friend gave me one a while back and it is as big as the Saito 125 I have in my P-51.

The 91 4 stroke though, now that I can see pulling that plane out and around nicely. You may be able to counter balance the big motor on the nose by moving the elevator servo to the tail if you can. Did that on my 120, so nice firm elevator, no worry of the pushrod flexing, rudder is a pull-pull.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

thanks for the replies and interest !

I have an OS 61FX in my 62 inch span GP ShoeString, as for weight it's a great combO, the 4-Star 60 span is 9 inches longer at 71 inches, and has more wing area, it's a real floater with a 61, so I don't think a 91 is to big,

Jim
Old 07-11-2016, 06:16 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do it your way.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:43 PM
acdii

Did you say a 91 2 stroke or 91 4 stroke? Makes a huge difference on the 4*60. An OS 91 2 stroke weighs 1 pound 9.75 ounces, and is larger in diameter, where a Saito 91 4 stroke weighs in at 1 pound 3.31 ounces. That's nearly 6 1/2 ounces that you have to compensate for in the tail. Since it is a 2 stroke, is will also suck fuel like mad, and the tank in the 4*60 would give you maybe 5 minutes of flight, maybe. I don't think you would be happy with it, especially if it dead sticks as it will be a lead sled with all that weight on it. That is if the fuse can hold up to it. You have to add bracing, and beef up the fuse for an engine that big. The manual even states not to use a larger than recommended engine in this plane. If you want more speed, I doubt you will get it with a larger engine, you would be better putting a 65-70 on it than the 91, and propping it for speed, though with that fat wing, its not a speed demon, and if you push it too fast you will get flutter in the wings and tail.

It's your plane, so do what you want with it, only telling you this from experience. If you want a fast plane, this is not it. If you want an aerobatic plane that is easy to fly, then this is it, when built with the right equipment installed.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:12 PM
the Wasp

2-St,, the OS 95ax (engine only) weighs only 2.5 oz more than their 65ax engine, the 95 muffler may weigh a couple oz more too, but I don't see a real problem with weight there,

yes a 91 or 95 will use more fuel but I have to replace the Bulk Head that holds the Tank so I will use a lager Tank and I will beef-up the Bulk Head a bit to strengthen the Fuse, if I get flutter I will just have to slow down and put my new in the box 1985 HB 61 PDP in it and have neat looking plane,,

you said from experience I will get Flutter, I will have to take your word on that, maybe I will just put the HB in it,

you busted my bubbled with the fluttering thing LOL LOL, I have seen it on planes before, I wouldn't mind putting a modified Main Wing on it but I'm not going to go threw all that

thanks for the interest !!
Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-12-2016 at 08:37 PM. Reason: because
Old 07-13-2016, 06:07 PM
acdii

Yeah, I got flutter on my 120 with a DLE 20 on it. I replaced all the aileron hinges with Robarts pin hinges, so now the tail flutters a bit in a high speed dive. The flutter was so bad that three of the aileron hinges ripped apart. At least it didn't do what my first 120 did, I still have the remnants of the wing and tail, the rest is sawdust and toothpicks. The DLE20 is the correct size engine for the 4*120 too ..
Old 07-13-2016, 06:29 PM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you didn't seal your hinge line did you? A 4Star 1.20 shouldn't have any flutter issues IF the hinge gap is tight/sealed, slop -free linkages, strong/good centering servos were used and no major mods to the control surfaces. Guys have been running 30cc+ on these with no issues.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM
acdii

It had a slight gap, about the thickness of a business card. Too many power dives did the damage. I loved going WOT down the runway, pull up until it can go no more, then hammer head it over while still at WOT, and dive straight down, pulling up just a few feet over the runway and zooming past the other way. I noticed it buzzing loudly on the last pass, heard it over the tail wires, and knew that something came loose. Sure enough, couple hinges busted loose. The ailerons are nice and tight now, but I can see the tail shake doing the same thing. In fact I have to recover my stab, the covering peeled off from going so fast. The tail wires sing loudly.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:44 PM
the Wasp

now that I have thought about it more, with the speeds I want I don't think I will have a problem with flutter, I don't want a speed demon, I just want it to go faster, the 4-Star 60 is a pretty slow plane, the heavier Tiger 60 is noticeably faster, like I said, if I do get flutter I will drop my HB PDP 61 in it

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:56 PM
newbiedc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up a 4 star 120 ARF this week that has only been assembled. I have a DLE 20 side exhaust I am planning on using. It will not fit between the cheeks with stock muffler. Suggestions on how to put this combination together???
Old 08-13-2016, 01:13 PM
LTJeeper

The "cheeky" answer is to start carving... (That was a horible pun)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:53 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by newbiedc
Picked up a 4 star 120 ARF this week that has only been assembled. I have a DLE 20 side exhaust I am planning on using. It will not fit between the cheeks with stock muffler. Suggestions on how to put this combination together???
You have to cut the cheek for the muffler no matter which one you use, but if you get a Pitts style, you don't need to take out very much to make it work. http://www.milehighrc.com/muffler.html Scroll down to find it, cost $36 and well made.

Also before you fly that plane, Take it from someone very familiar with the 4*120 ARF, reinforce the wing!!!!! The upper and lower spars form a box where the aluminum wing joiner slips into and the box is NOT complete! You will need to remove the covering and add some 1/16" plywood to make the box strong or you will lose a wing in flight. If in doubt I will take some pics of what is left of mine.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:34 PM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by STX4stroker
Here's mine with a DLE-30. I did not move the Fire wall back. Servos are in the Location shown on the Plans. I did add length to the Rudder and Elevator, came out Tail heavy and added weight inside the Cheeks.
did that muffler clear the cheeks and the fuselage body to the aft? Anything you had to tell that company specifically besides I am
lookong for a dle20 one.

thanks!

Old 10-26-2020, 08:30 AM
newbiedc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the top, side, and bottom views on my DLE20RA on my 4*120. Really the only modification was to cut out the floor of the engine bay in order to squeeze the DLE20RA in.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (10-26-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It warms my heart to see this thread still active, 15yrs later.

Last edited by Rcpilot; 11-10-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Flyboywbl (11-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:34 PM
flyindy
My Feedback: (12)

I have mine about 80% framed up and hope to finish it up this winter. I am going be using a G26 for power. I be posting when I start working on it again.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:09 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyindy
I have mine about 80% framed up and hope to finish it up this winter. I am going be using a G26 for power. I be posting when I start working on it again.

looking forward to it!! I've been have engine troubles with my NGH 30cc four stroke. I can't for the life of me get it tuned.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Flyboywbl

Old 11-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I started this thread 15yrs ago today. So glad that so many have benefited from it, and proud to see it still active.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rcpilot:
Flyboywbl (11-19-2020), flyingagin (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Flyboywbl

Originally Posted by Rcpilot
I started this thread 15yrs ago today. So glad that so many have benefited from it, and proud to see it still active.
I used this thread back in 2009 for my first 120, lol.
Rcpilot (11-16-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:37 PM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by lamarkeiko
It's been awhile since my last post, so I figure it's time to get a little update on my progress.
My last post, I was asking about tapering my ailerons. After replies back, I said I would taper. Well that changed once I did my hinge installation. I fitted my ailerons with Robart hinges. I've used them in the past and have been quite pleased with their quality and ease of installing. Once they were installed, I realized that due to the length the hinge extended into the aileron, that tapering would cut into the drilled hole for the hinge. I proceeded to then do the 45 deg bevel on the front and round over the rear per plan instructions, except I don't sand as plans mentions. I have always used a router for the bevel and round over, since it is so much easier, fast and precice. I don't recall using a router being mentioned in build threads before, but I'll post some pictures of my proceedure.
By the way, I think the ailerons still looked fairly good, even without taper. I can still use the provided aileron positioning guide to set the ailerons for final neutral adjustment.
I am now starting the covering, which will be a slow process. I am using Sig Koverall, MinWax polycrylic for attaching and filling weave, then final painting with Rustoleum rattle can spray.

Lamar

grest looking build! I’ve been asking other builders here and there about using the Robart hinges. Did you use the 3/16” size? Some folks have said use 1/8” and I’ve seen others use 3/16”. The 3/16 looks like it doesn’t leave a lot of meat on the wing TE and cuts a little into the sheeting. Any thoughts or recommendations? Again, thanks for the good thread on here, I’ll be shamelessly borrowing you ideas on a hatch, the router and arranging the avionics. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Robart hinge size is governed by the size of the airplane, thickness of material and the amount of stress you put on the control surfaces. The 3/16"is the most popular size I think. They also make a pocket you glue in so you can remove the surface by loosing the set screw that hold the hinge in.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:31 AM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by lamarkeiko
It's been awhile since my last post, so I figure it's time to get a little update on my progress.
My last post, I was asking about tapering my ailerons. After replies back, I said I would taper. Well that changed once I did my hinge installation. I fitted my ailerons with Robart hinges. I've used them in the past and have been quite pleased with their quality and ease of installing. Once they were installed, I realized that due to the length the hinge extended into the aileron, that tapering would cut into the drilled hole for the hinge. I proceeded to then do the 45 deg bevel on the front and round over the rear per plan instructions, except I don't sand as plans mentions. I have always used a router for the bevel and round over, since it is so much easier, fast and precice. I don't recall using a router being mentioned in build threads before, but I'll post some pictures of my proceedure.
By the way, I think the ailerons still looked fairly good, even without taper. I can still use the provided aileron positioning guide to set the ailerons for final neutral adjustment.
I am now starting the covering, which will be a slow process. I am using Sig Koverall, MinWax polycrylic for attaching and filling weave, then final painting with Rustoleum rattle can spray.

Lamar

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Robart hinge size is governed by the size of the airplane, thickness of material and the amount of stress you put on the control surfaces. The 3/16"is the most popular size I think. They also make a pocket you glue in so you can remove the surface by loosing the set screw that hold the hinge in.
yes that’s what I was worried about as the 3/16” will be cutting into the sheeting and it doesn’t leave a lot of meat around it on the TE while the 1/8” seems to stay centered in the core TE material and have more wood around it in both ends. Looks like you made the 3/16 work fine. Any tricks you found for using the jig on the TE of the wing?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.