Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 40

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 07:19 PM
easymoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 40

How is the CG Tiger 40... and how it flies...? Is it a good idea to convert this into a taildragger?
Old 11-11-2002, 11:23 AM
$ircra$halot

Default Tiger 40

Greetings Easymoney: I don't know about the tail-dragger. I am one of the few that likes trike gear planes better. But I can say these are excellent flying planes. I liked mine with a fox 50 so much, that after the dumb thumb syndrome sacrificed it to the earth God I rebuilt it, and put a Saito 91 on it. Yes this is the 40 size plane. Can you say vertical, sure I knew ya could. Well alas, the #$@&&#@*@ dumb thumbs got it again. The Saito lives in a Tiger 60 now, and it is no slouch. I actually like the 60 better. It knife edges like there is no tomorrow. The 40 did not knife edge as well, go figure. Always happy to help if I can. Garry
Old 03-19-2003, 01:30 AM
loopnspin

Default Tiger 2

Hi Easymoney,

You have a very nice plane here with the Tiger 2. A fellow flier who buddy boxed with me while I was learning suggested it to me as a very good first low wing plane and also as a good first kit to build. I powered mine with a Supertigre .45 2-stroke. It was a good match for the plane. This was about 7 yeas ago when I built mine and there were no options then for a tail dragger version. Mine was fine with the tricycle landing gear and I was very comfortable with the ground handling.

As $ircra$halot mentions, knife edge flight was not very good with mine either. I think rudder area was a little small for good knife edge flight. It just wouldn't hold it very long. I then picked up a brand new K&B .48 high performance 2 stroke and put it in the Tiger 2. I never had the chance to try a knife edge with it because the first time I really opened up the throttle, the plane was about 15 to 20 feet above the ground and the elevator fluttered and that was all she wrote for the Tiger 2.

If I could make one recommendation (assuming this is the kit, not the ARF) it would be to reinforce the vertical stabililzer with some angle stock on both sides to make it a little stronger and be sure to use 30 minute epoxy for both vertical and horizontal stabilizers. Don't be too tempted to over power it or yours might meet the same fate as mine. Good luck.

Jeff