Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Engine for Ace Bingo 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Engine for Ace Bingo 60

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for Ace Bingo 60

I've got an Ace Bingo 60 kit that I expect to be starting shortly. I'll be building it with the long wing most likely.

I'm not sure yet what size engine to put in it. I have decided I'd like to go with a four stroke. Will a SAITO 72 be enough?

Who has had experience with this plane? I know it's an oldie that has been out of production for a while.

I'm looking for sport flyer characteristics, not wild and wooly. Enough for loops, rolls, and other basic and intermediate type aerobatics. Not expecting 3D or unlimited uplines.

I'd like to power it appropriately while avoiding overpowering it. I don't want to find myself flying around at 1/4 throttle most of the time ... but at the same time I don't want to have to keep it gunned to hold altitude!

I know this is a heavier plane than the more modern 60 size kits, like the 4 Star. Maybe more along the lines of the Spacewalker.

What say you voices of experience?

Thanks,

BobbyG

Old 12-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Ace Bingo 60

I've had one of these. I had a Thunder Tiger .91 4-stroke on mine.

I was flying at 6000' elevation with a 14-6 prop turning about 8500--9000RPM. Can't remember the exact numbers. It's been about 5 yrs.

The plane flies great. I think the .91 is the way to go. The plane flies very similar to the 4*60.

I wish I still had it.

I was flying it at a fun fly event one Sunday at the club. We were doing the limbo. (String some crate paper across the runway and support it on a couple poles. Everyone flies under the paper one time and then the paper gets lowered. Everyone takes a turn again. Lower the paper again. And so on.)

All was well untill my 4th or 5th pass. The paper was about 4' off the runway and I decided to show off and do it inverted.

I got it lined up and was coming down the runway. Full throttle inverted. I was about 6 or 7 feet off the runway when I got over the end of the runway. Plane was sinking very slowly. I just let it sink and it was coming in perfect. I was just starting to push the elevator and level it out when I got about 100' from the paper and was about 2' off the runway.

Unfortunately--I didn't push quite hard enough on the stick.[X(] I pancaked it into the runway right as I crossed under the paper. It tore the cylinder head to kibbles and bits. Cracked the fuse in half--right behind the wing saddle. Basically ruined the plane and the engine. DOH!!

Worst part was that there were about 100 people watching. I still get hassled about that.[&:]

91 4-stroke is a sweat combo for this one.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:06 PM
BobbyGee

Thanks RCPilet!

I'll take a look at .90 size four strokes.

The story of your Bingo's demise makes me cringe ... even without the 100 spectators! [&:]

You're at 6,000 feet. Do you think being at about 700' I might do well enough with, say, a SAITO 82? Being on the lighter 72 case it's reputed to have a lot of "pop" for an 80 size four stroke.

I'd love the power I could get while saving some weight. What do you think?

BTW, hope your back is better. IIRC from your 4* thread, you were hurting considerably.

Thanks agin!

BobbyG

Old 12-03-2005, 12:12 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I have a Bingo 60 on floats that I have been flying for at least 8 years. I have a Saito 80 on it, which powers it perfectly. I bought it from a fellow who bought it at Puyallop $60. I have a 4*60 too with an OS 90 FS, they are very similar in flight manners, no surprises, very steady. I haven't considered putting a larger engine on it, the 80 seems adequate for me here at sea level. The extra weight of the OS 90 wasn't needed when I went to the floats. I really like it, but it's getting a little ratty looking and (probably) needs a re-cover job, I am a little ashamed to bring it out amongst all the beautiful new covering jobs at our lake flying site.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:10 PM
BobbyGee

ORIGINAL: donkey doctor

Hello; I have a Bingo 60 on floats that I have been flying for at least 8 years. I have a Saito 80 on it, which powers it perfectly. I bought it from a fellow who bought it at Puyallop $60. I have a 4*60 too with an OS 90 FS, they are very similar in flight manners, no surprises, very steady. I haven't considered putting a larger engine on it, the 80 seems adequate for me here at sea level. The extra weight of the OS 90 wasn't needed when I went to the floats. I really like it, but it's getting a little ratty looking and (probably) needs a re-cover job, I am a little ashamed to bring it out amongst all the beautiful new covering jobs at our lake flying site.

Thanks!

I think I'll go with the SAITO 82, then! No floats on mine, so it should be at least as good a setup as yours.

BobbyG

Old 12-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not really a 4-stroke guy. That TT .91 was my last 4-stroke, and that was about 5yrs ago.

Also, I don't have any experience flying at your elevation. I'm sure you could get away with a smaller and lighter motor at lower elevation.

Thanks for the kind words.

Thats a great plane you've got there. Wish I still had mine.