Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4 Star and fuel tank set up?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4 Star and fuel tank set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 01:44 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 Star and fuel tank set up?

I'm in about ready to cover my 4 star 40, First build for me. I need to know how you guys set up you fuel tanks. I need to know how to route the fuels lines. All the arf's I've had all had a big hole cut out in the firewall to accept the tank. Should I just drill 2 holes the right size in the firewall for the fuel lines and run them that way? Or glue 2 brass tubes in the firewall, but then it seems it would be diffucult to attach the tank to the tubes. Whats the best way? Thanks, JT
Old 11-14-2002, 02:42 AM
TerrellFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drill a small hole for each line,run the line through, then use goop by zap,or silicone to seal around the line.KISS method is best,brass lines are more trouble.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:19 AM
Wh00ps

Ditto. Also, when you drill the holes through the firewall, angle them in the direction the lines are going to need to go. If you just drill the holes at 90 deg., you may possibly end up with a constriction if the line has to make a sharp bend right outside the firewall.

Then, to install, take your fuel line, which you've probably purchased in a roughly 2' section, stick one end through each hole from the outside, pull them into the inside of the fuse where you can work, attach to the tank, secure with small zip ties or whatever else you like to use, then pull the lines back out from the engine compartment, and guide the tank into position as it's pulled into the tank compartment.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:59 PM
redbear

That works well the first time but if your like me I always end up having to remove the tank and re-install it at least 2 or 3 times. I found a hint in one of the mags that said use a piece of string and a short section of brass tubing, Put the string through the tube and tie a knot. Then insert the tube into the fuel line and pull it through the fire wall. I tried this with my 4 star 120 I am building and it worked like a champ.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:41 PM
TerrellFlyer

All of that is just plumb wonderfull! I just build a hatch over the fuel tank and don't have to worry about threading the lines or adjusting the tank every 15 minutes,also makes it easy to install nose weight.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:26 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

I just finished the tank install on mine. Here is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35671_505.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	22585  
Old 11-15-2002, 03:27 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Another one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version