Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

Old 07-26-2006, 09:49 PM
onepern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

Probably my fist one which in truth wasn't a kit but except for cutting out the wing ribs it might as well have been it was a Sig kadet Sr.
My CG tiger was a fun and fast build and my EAA Bipe is probably the most challenging haven't decided if it was fun yet or not.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Buck Rogers

i realy liket building the topflite spitfire mkix altho it was a hard kit to build...im also realy enjoying building the gp rv-4 kit
Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most any PICA Kit. Especially the 1/5th scale WACO YMF.
Most any Ikon N'West kit. They require some wood replacing, but are great flyers.
Any Proctor kit. Period.
Most Balsa USA Kits.

As for the throw down and fly types:
The B.T.E. Venture 60.
The 4-Star series from Sig.

For Control Line:
The Ambroid Aires.
The Veco Smoothie.
The Veco Thunderbird.
The Jetco P-51.

That's enough for now.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Any of the Japanese MK kits- I have built around 10 of them in the last 20 years. Outstanding quality, almost too pretty to build
Used to be sold thru Indy R/C, now only available direct from Japan or via Singapore Hobbies.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
F-16WpnsTech

Bruce Tharpe Venture 60. 'Nuff said.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoyed the Sig Hog Bipe build, and am currently enjoying my Great Planes Super Sportster 90/120 build. I have built several .40 size Great Planes kits, and all went together well. The only kit I ever had problems with was the Great Planes Cap 232 .40 size. The kit went together well, but some of the plywood was bad that was in the kit. Other than that, I highly recommend Sig and Great Planes kits and have enjoyed building them all. Unfortunately though alot of the good kits are disappearing, and kit builders like myself my have to turn to building more from scratch.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

really liked the TF spitfire kit the looks are clean next on my board is a TF P-47 T Bolt building for a small gasser ,also the GIZMO a local designer produced kit went together well and flew great with a OS 46 .
Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My Favorite is the TF P-40 (2 of them so far) Second favorite is the TF Cessna 182. Now if i could just stop selling them after i fly them[sm=confused.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13561.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	498058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25432.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	498059  
Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I enjoyed Adrian Page's 1/5 scale Gee Bee. The wood quality is excellent as is the laser cutting. The kit is well thought out and goes together quite well. It even flies nicely.
Ben
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30998.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	498829  
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
chashint

I have only built 3 kits and the one I did not enjoy was the first one, which was a House of Balsa PT-19 and a poor choice for a first time kit builder. There were some issues with the kit itself like the die cut parts not matching the laser cut parts and the plan matched neither, but mostly it was my inexperience that caused the most problems. I completed that build and the plane flew really well, the things I learned from it have helped me a lot with the other two kits.

The other two kits were pretty fun to build.
The Great Planes Super Sportster 60 had parts that fit together well and the instructions were very good. I really like how strong the plane is. I only had to sharpen the chainsaw twice to get it finished up (just kidding ... sorta). There was a lot of shaping and sanding to do but a bench top belt sander and a Dremel tool made short work of it and the plane flies very nice.
Great Planes Slow Poke Sport 40, if you pay attention to what you are doing this kit goes together real easy. This is an interesting plane, I really like its style but the jury is still out on how much I like the way it flies. Still a well designed easy to build kit.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:22 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: onemorecast

or precut parts that are too big or too small to fit over the plans and you would have to recut them yourself. I like good quality instructions to ease in the guessing game of what to do next and completing a step out of order.

The instructions have been weak in a lot of kits. So, I am pointing my flying interest in the way of profiles and pattern style planes.

Keep in mind that plans can expand and shrink with humidity by a lot! Cutting parts to match the plan is not right.

I like to deviate from the instructions whenever I can using them as a general guide. I’m used to building Royal kits I guess.

I have enjoyed all the kits I’ve built, instructions or not, bad wood and good wood don’t matter to me.

Dion

Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

my favorite build was a Swany Fat Free Taco .25....small, well engineered design and very very very easy to put together.

Chris

Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

Sig 1/5 scale Cub. Couldn't be anymore precise fitting together, excellent instructions and a real pleasure to fly!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
andrew66

ive built 3 kits (just started last year) and id have to say my favorite was the kadet seniorita. some people curse when they see all the sticks, but not me! i actually find stick building and cutting my own parts very relaxing and rewarding. thats probably why im starting two scratch builds this winter.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM
MP3_tilaco

I have done a lot of kit, but I enjoyed to build a Great Planes Corsair F4, I did it in 2 week.
Smith Miniplane's time was a nightmare, but when I finished it I love it.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:53 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite kit build is a kit that is no longer available and through collaboration with folks on RCU I found the plans, a person to make the canopy and wing cores so I could build it from plans http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3973867/tm.htm The most fun build ever!

RCU is a pretty cool place for collaboration!

Old 11-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Any of the old Pilot kits (OK Models) were a pure joy to build. Sadly no longer in production, it is hard to believe that these kits were produced before CAD design and laser cutting. They were hand drawn with hand/diecut parts but the parts were perfect in every way and seemingly fell together. The scale fidelity was right on too. Oh, how I miss them! My particular favorite was the 25 size PT-19...near perfect scale looks and it flew like a trainer.

Yak
Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved building the Midwest Cherokee 40 and the CG Super Chipmunk. Very high quality kits and a pleasure to build.

Gibbs
Old 11-17-2006, 09:17 PM
nchrome

Well I also found anothe kit I like to build and as a matter of fact I'm in the prossess of building three of them two from kits and one from scratch. The Balsa USA Sophwith Pup. Rite now I have all three fuses done tailfeathers and all the wing panels done just not joined just yet. A very fun kit to assemble and not too hard just a little tedious when building three of them at once.[&:] I'm still on the B-25 but waiting on some items that I need to complete[]
Old 11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
iflircaircraft

My two favorites as far as "easy to build" were the TF Gold Edition Cessna 182 and my Notheast Aerodynamics Belair 60. The Belair had no wood left over once the kit was fully assembled.
My most challenging build was the GP Super Skybolt.....bending, sanding, solderiing etc.
My next project is either the Goldberg Chipmunk or the Balsa USA Enforcer modified as a tractor vs a pusher.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM
amttec1
My Feedback: (2)

I have a smith-mini biplane. Does anyone have the specs. for the throw (travel) for the elevator, ailerons, and rudder?
I cant seem to find it in the kit booklet. Or is it just get all you can?
I am a beginner, any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 AM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

Of all the planes that I have built over the past 37 years, my favorite build has to be the Sig Ryan STA.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never had a true favorite kit but there have been some great planes after the build that I really liked. The CG Extra was a very nice build and it was a cut kit, I never built one of the kits after Lanier bought them out. Anything from Sky Shark, I never had the money to build one for myself, they were on the high end for a 60 size plane but what great kits! I saw the Weeks Special mentioned, long story but I almost got one a few years back. Any of the Bridi kits!! As mentioned, if you are used to kits from places like GP then any of the older kits will give you problems, the instructions are good but they don't give you pictures and tell you the complete wood sizes you choose from. They are real kit builders kits. Blue Jay is cutting them today, great prices, outstanding planes and gets your gray mater flowing. Only kits I never liked were from my youth when you had the lines on the wood and had to cut them out yourself. Today I have a Blue Jay [Bridi] Dirty Birdy on my bench, great wood bvut if you like all the parts cut and shaped for you this is not your type of kit, very old school, shape and sand a lot of blocks but the end product is worth it. Other then some ribs and the fuse sides there isn't any die cutting. What great planes when you finish though. The worst kit is still more fun then any ARF.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM
twn

Topflite P-47 60 size. I really liked the build. Challenging and well documented. I might build another. I'd like to try the Giant scale with a dl50. Really the price differance in the end is not much more for the larger gasser.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

The Sig 1/4 scale Cub. Lots of wood to work with plus it is a good flyer.

Bill Hodges

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.