Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig midstar 40 stab reinforcement

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig midstar 40 stab reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 PM
maxboostbusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig midstar 40 stab reinforcement

i and new to flying and am about ready to solo my alpha 60 so i went ahead and bought a sig midstar 40 kit for a great price. i have seen alot of people on here talking about putting tri stock to help strenghten this area. its a good idea but im not sure of the looks, does anyone know if using some ultralite glass or carbon fiber to tie the verticle and horizonal stabs together and to the fuse would work. any opinions would be great, if it wasent for people like you being so helpfull then i dont think that the sport would be as large as it is now. thanks for everything.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:22 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sig midstar 40 stab reinforcement

Tri stock is easy to make it look good for about five minutes worth of work.cut the triangle stock to length. sand the ends down with a block so they are nice and rounded. Now this is the important part. make sure they fit normally i try for the bottom of the stab. but now that there rounded they dont look so bad. But anyways make sure they fit correctly. then cover them with whatever color you want. then cover the plane glue the stab in etc. etc. Now take your already fitted and covered triangle on the stab where they are going to go. mark the area. then cut the covering inside the line on the stab and the fuse or the fin. depending whare you are going with the triangle stock. Now just glue on your triangles. notice the color of the covering matches and it is now looking sweet.

Open up a nice Coca Cola and pat yourself on the back.

Then when you go to the field with your new airplane and you see someone that just glued triangle stock without covering paint etc. and with big blobs of 5-minute epoxy oozing everywhere. Try not to puke. And try not to laugh either.

Just go fly and once again marvel at your good quality craftsmanship. Funny thing is unless someone at the field had built your same kit they won't even notice your add on triangle. Look at you on your second kit build your craftsmanship will already surpass eighty percent of the club members. and they won't even notice. Just remember don't puke or laugh. Drink another Coca Cola and enjoy yourself

Dennis
Old 12-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Maxboostboosa,

Do what d bodary says. It's not difficult to do. You'll hardly notice the tri-stock, especially when your Midstar is in the air. You won't have to use anything too large. I believe my tri-stock is 1/4" wide. Here's a pic of mine after some mods. Although not seen close enough, you can just make out the tri-stock at the bottom of the fin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72837.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	378406  
Old 12-31-2005, 08:37 PM
maxboostbusa

thanks guys i might go that route. would the carbon or glass be any stronger though? hope to get the reast of the parts at the LHS and get to building this next week. im kinda excited today anyway i did my first takeoff with my alpha 60 but had to do some repair work after the instructor landed it deadstick and my landing gear support block came unglued. thats fixed now though. thanks guys.