Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

hog bipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:19 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hog bipe

Got a hog bipe for xmas,I have been looking it over while finishing up another kit so I can start it.I was looking at the airlons,would just using them on the bottom wing be enough to fly this plane,it seems like over kill with airlons on both wings?This is one good looking kit,Sig is sending a new airlon because one has a crack in it,they are great to do business with no hassle or anything just great.I'm thinking of putting my MDS 68 Pro in it any thoughts would help,if I wato use a 4 stroke what would be a good one?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: hog bipe

I just finished building the Hog Bipe myself, but due to weather I havn't got to fly it yet. I have seen the question you ask asked before about only using 2 ailerons, and if I remember right most people advised against it. There is a thread on here somewhere about it. I wish I could help more, but as I said, I have not had the chance to fly mine yet. I did build mine with both the upper and lower ailerons which I believe will provide the best performance, but you may find someone who has only set theirs up with 2, and they should be able to help you more, and offer better advice. Good luck with the build! I sure enjoyed building mine! I also want to add that IMO a 2 stroke just would not do the Hog Bipe justice! I am sure it would fly it fine, but for some reason I just think a Hog Bipe should have a 4 stroke on it! The O.S, Magnum, or Saito .91 4 stroke seems to be the engine of choice! I installed a Saito 1.00 on mine, but I am thinking of going ahead and putting a Magnum .91 4 stroke on it instead since the 1.00 mat be just a bit more than I really need, and may be better suited for a different project.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:01 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had 3 Hog Bipes and I would recommend that you do build it with the 4 ailerons (1 on each wing). I also would recommend that you build it with dual aileron modifications. As for a 4 stroke, I fly mine with an OS 91 4-stroke and it's like the plane and motor were made for each other. Great combination.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-31-2005, 08:13 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a biplane has ailerons on just one wing, when those ailerons move, it encounters an imbalance of drag between the two wings. The wing with no ailerons produces no extra drag while the with with them sees lots more drag. The imbalance would produce a pitching force. The nose of the airplane would try to pitch in the direction of more drag.

Whether or not the airplane could get by with less aileron force isn't the important part of your idea. You probably won't benefit from building less ailerons as much as the airplane's flight characteristics would suffer from the induced drag imbalance. It certainly doesn't seem worth it to me to "redesign" the plane just so you won't have to build all 4 ailerons.

It appears from the popularity of the Hog Bipe that it flies really good as designed. I doubt that it would fly as good and be as easy to flight trim if you changed the aileron design.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:57 AM
CTDave

Thank you for the imput I will use the airlons as the plans say.I guess I will use my new 91 GK on this one and maybe my MDS 68 Pro on my Venture that I just can't seem to start.I was just thinking it was overkill with 4 airlons but afer reading your inputs I guess not,which leads to to another ? why do some biplanes have only 2 and seem to fly pretty good?that is what made me think 2 would be alright.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hog bipe is my favorite plane in my stable. Kit builds and flies well as designed. However do use all four ailerons and dual servos. I would recommend that you move up the gear 1/4". Ground handling in stock form is less then average. Plane wants to nose over during take off and landing. The further you move up the gear the better the ground handling but the plane will bounce more upon landing. Look at [link]http://www.fubarhill.com[/link] for info on hog bipes. Mine has a Fox 74 for power and I love it.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 PM
CTDave

Yes a great site I have found it already.Do you think my 91 GK is too much or should I say overkill for this plane?I like relaxing and easy going flying.Although I like building most of all.Therapy you know (at least that is what I tell my wife)haha
Old 01-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Saito 91 will be perfect, Seen a few fly with that setup. Almost finished building mine and I'm strapping a Saito 100 on mine, If it's too much power I just throttle back but it's there if you need it but if there is too little power that's where you will get into trouble.

Dauntae
Old 01-01-2006, 08:50 AM
WCB

Dauntae,
I have a Saito 100 on mine and it flies comfortably at 1/2 throttle. You'll love it. The plane is a pure joy to fly.

CTDave,
The Saito .91 will be fine. You'll be glad you decided to go with 4 ailerons.

WCB
Old 01-01-2006, 10:33 PM
raptornut
My Feedback: (20)

RCKEN, just finished my hog bipe moved gear forward and have a magnum 91 4 Stroke on it , what CG do you guys find the best they give from 3 5/8 to 4 /58. just wondering where will be best for comfortable flying.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 AM
WCB

Raptornut,
The best I can remember mine balanced right in the middle of the range at about 4 to 4 1/4". Remember "too nose heavy flies poorly and too tail heavy flies once."
WCB
Old 01-02-2006, 09:56 AM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

i'm thinking about putting the landing gear from this plane on my Hog Bipe, does anyone know where i can get it?...i forgot to add that the plane is a ... Bucker Jungmeister
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88571.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	379571