Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Avistar Dihedral Removal

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Avistar Dihedral Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 AM
trekkerguy
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar Dihedral Removal

I have an Avistar that I am trying to take the dihedral out of the wing and would like some input to my ideas being right, wron, or indifferent.

First, I cut a straight snug fitting wing joiner and assembled (this is all dry fitting ... no bonding yet) the wing halves. Turned the wing upside down and placed a straight edge across it. Now that the wing is flat on the bottom, I taped it in place.

Turned the wing over so it is right side up. Placed the straight edge on the topside of the wing to verify it is also flat and it is. Taped the wing in place.

The largest gap at the top of the wing is less than 1/8" and, of course tapers, down to zero on the underside of the wing. Also the gap at the top goes from 1/8" to zero as you look from the front of the wing to the back.

If I were to "fill the gap" with epoxy would it be sufficiently strong to bond the wing halves together?

Thankd for you input.

Take care,
Trekkerguy
Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Avistar Dihedral Removal

You might want to mix some micro-balloons with the epoxy as it will provide a stronger joint. I would also HIGHLY recommend glassing the joint with about 2" of fiberglass cloth. I removed the dihedral from mine after the original center joint failed when I pancaked it trying to pull out just a bit too low. Beware, it will fly a lot different w/o the dihedral. I'm still getting the feel of it.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:00 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try making a balsa wedge to fill the gap. It will be strong, and lighter than filling the gap with epoxy.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use some scrap aileron stock I usually have on hand. You can see it in the center of the wing. On this Big Stick 40 that I use to run in .40-.70 size engines, I flipped the dihedral brace over for a slight amount of anhedral. It actuallyneeds more anhedral as it still rolls with rudder.

I did put some red vinyl tape over the wood later on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80224.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	379616  
Old 01-02-2006, 04:52 PM
trekkerguy
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Folks,

Thanks for your feedback. I was hoping to get by the easy way, but I guess you guys just aren't going to let me. LOL I'll take your advice and put in filler stock to fill the gap.

Take care,
Trekkerguy