Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit friendly hobby shop

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit friendly hobby shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit friendly hobby shop

Hello Everyone,

Nostalgia got the best of me last week and I grabbed a Sig Kavalier kit off the shelf of my LHS. The Kav was my second plane and I never really got to know it very well--the dumb pilot made a stupid mistake. It had a mere thirty flights on it when its time came.

Anyway the point of this post is to say that I thanked the hobby shop owner for supporting us kit builders in this time of the dreaded ARF. He has about thirty five to forty kits to choose from--some old and some new. Things like the Top Flite warbirds, selections from Balsa USA, Sig, and Great Planes, even discontinued items like the Kougar and the original Patriot. He said he does quite well with the sale of kits--that there are a lot of builders remaining who come to his shop. Probably contributing to his perception is the fact that just about all other hobby shops in town (Denver area) have discontinued selling kits other than special orders and his shop is the only place where one can find a selection of kits on the wall thus, the builders are funneled to his shop because there is nowhere else to go.

I just wanted to relate my positive experience with this hobby shop. Thompson's Hobbies has been around for a long time and hasn't changed since the first day I walked in as a college student in 1982.

Thank you Thompson's Hobbies!

If anyone has stories about their favorite hobby shops please share them in this thread!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Kit friendly hobby shop

Wow, too bad he's in CO. Would he consider opening a Thompson's East in SC? So many shops simply stock what sells the best. It's refreshing to see kits on a shelf.

As for the Kavalier - I soloed on that plane, many more years ago than I care to remember. It's a good looking plane and flys GREAT! Easy to build, too.

If you can, send me a pic when you're finished building it.

Dr.1
Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
flyingtomg
My Feedback: (10)

For another shop in Colorado, go up to Things with Wings in Greeley. He usually has over 250 planes there and I'd bet at least 75 of them are kits (not ARFs). Fantastic prices too. Easily competes with the Internet shops.

flyingtomg
Old 01-12-2006, 06:42 PM
js3

You know, that's what I've heard, that there is a great hobby shop in Greeley. The last time I was in Greeley was to watch a Broncos preseason practice and Dan Reeves was the coach. I think that was 1986--the year of Elway's first Super Bowl. Suffice to say I don't get up that way very often. Perhaps I should make a point of going there just to check out the Hobby Shop.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Wow, too bad he's in CO. Would he consider opening a Thompson's East in SC? So many shops simply stock what sells the best. It's refreshing to see kits on a shelf.

As for the Kavalier - I soloed on that plane, many more years ago than I care to remember. It's a good looking plane and flys GREAT! Easy to build, too.

If you can, send me a pic when you're finished building it.

Dr.1
DR-1-- If you're up in the Hickory, NC area, "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles" has lots of kits, and can get almost anything you want. About half of what is on his shelf are kits, and half of those are BUSA. He's fairly new, great to deal with, and his prices are at or just below on-line; he can get it for you as fast as you can order it yourself. He (the owner) is our club treasurer, been flying a long time and knows the hobby. This is the kind of LHS and shop owner everyone wishes he had down the street. He also sells electric and nitro cars / trucks, and electric trains, but emphasis is on r/c flying, both fuel and electric. Sells all major brands, Saito, OS, Supertigre, Zenoah .......

While I'm at it, want to invite you to our Warbirds fly -in in June (1st Saturday) Lots of WWI stuff, we've got a great field.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

The first time that I walked into "Things With Wings" in Greeley, CO; I felt the same "Rush" that Howard Carter must have felt when he gazed upon the treasure in King Tut's tomb for the first time!

It's well worth the trip to Greeley just to view this shrine to our hobby!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 AM
jlkonn

If any of you folks ever run into a Northeast Aerodynamics Sportaire .40 kit I would appreciate letting me know.
They are out of production and it was the plane that really got me going back in the '80s.
Thanks!
JLK
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
js3

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

If any of you folks ever run into a Northeast Aerodynamics Sportaire .40 kit I would appreciate letting me know.
They are out of production and it was the plane that really got me going back in the '80s.
Thanks!
JLK
If I do see one, I'd likely keep it for myself! However, I'll keep you in mind.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
sscherin

Thanks for the tip.. Looks like a have a few new stores to visit

Is Thompsons on Wadsworth?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]Ditto, how about an east Tennessee location??
I'd love to get my hands on a Sig Morrisey Bravo kit.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:48 PM
js3

ORIGINAL: sscherin

Is Thompsons on Wadsworth?
Yup. In Lakewood, on Wadsworth, just north of Colfax. West side of the street. 1585 Wadsworth Blvd
Lakewood, CO 80215 (303)238-5821

I just googled "Thompson's Hobbies and Crafts" and this site came up. [link=http://thompsonshobbies.qwestdex.com/]http://thompsonshobbies.qwestdex.com/[/link]

It's not really much of a web site but comparable to their ad in the yellow pages.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my Kavalier. It was my first kit. I built it about a year and a half ago and it is still flying. I probably have over 150 flights logged. W8YE took the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29851.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	387123  
Old 01-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: js3

You know, that's what I've heard, that there is a great hobby shop in Greeley. The last time I was in Greeley was to watch a Broncos preseason practice and Dan Reeves was the coach. I think that was 1986--the year of Elway's first Super Bowl. Suffice to say I don't get up that way very often. Perhaps I should make a point of going there just to check out the Hobby Shop.
OH MAN!! If you haven't seen Things With Wings--ya gotta go.

It's a tiny shop--but it's full of kits and ARF from floor to ceiling. Stacked all the way up to 10 or 12 feet off the ground. He told me that he's got 500 kits/ARFs in the shop at one time.

He's got parts for Saito and OS engines. Crankcases, cranks, cams, carbs, pushrods, cylinder heads and liners, pistons, bearings, mufflers--just about anything you need. It's amazing.

He carries gas engines and glow engines. Prices are very competative.

I also like Thompsons. He's got stickers and decals for just about anything. A nice selection of kits too. Not many ARFs in that shop. Take cash or a checkbook. He won't take a credit card. His engine prices aren't the best, but he's got TT, OS, and ST. Might have seen an MDS in there too.

If you want an ARF--go to Action RC Aircraft Center on Carr and Colfax Ave. Bunch of grey haired old codgers in there who couldn't find there ***** with both hands--but they got lots of ARFs and a good supply of fuel.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:54 AM
js3

Rcpilet,

Yeah, I go to Action R/C quite a bit too. I got a great deal on some servos Glen no longer wanted on his shelf about a year ago--20% off his regular price. It seems like just about every ARF you can imagine is in that shop. Kind of funny that Action R/C and Thompson's are within about 1/2 mile of each other.

My favorite hobby shop of all time no longer is in business. Front Range Hobbies was in south Lakewood. That place was the best. I would go there just to BS and hang out with my buddies and I'd usually end up buying something. After they went out of business, the shop became a hair salon and I remember one guy lamenting the fact that now it would be full of old ladies clucking and squawking. I pointed out that it wouldn't really be any different, that the only real change in that regard would be the gender of the cluckers and squawkers but the irony was lost on him.