Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Installing windshield and windows - Marutaka Skymaster

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Installing windshield and windows - Marutaka Skymaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
atsioukl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing windshield and windows - Marutaka Skymaster

Hi gents,

I am currently building an old Marutaka / Royal Cessna Skymaster kit. I will soon need to install the windshield and side windows. I was hoping that some of you may have some suggestions on how to install these pieces in general so it looks nice. I've spent many hours building this kit and don't want to ruin the look by simply gluing the windows to the outer fuse side. There's got to be a better, cleaner way. I must note that this airplane will have a fiberglass and paint finish, if that makes a difference.

I've attached some pics. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fd93071.jpg (803.4 KB, 18 views)
Vs55481.jpg (803.4 KB, 8 views)
Up46813.jpg (803.4 KB, 8 views)
Hm22729.jpg (803.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM
jmupilot

Default RE: Installing windshield and windows - Marutaka Skymaster

I used RC56 glue to put mine in. The side window were cut from flat stock slightly over size and sanded until they fit tightly in the window cut outs. Put them in and then push them from the inside until they are flush with the fuselage sides. This leaves a little edge on the inside to glue to. I put a few drops in at first and allowed those to dry before glueing the rest of the window. I did one side at a time so the glue would flow and pool around the edges with the fuselage layed on its side with the window being glued, down on the workbench. Glue from the inside of the model. I used the same technique for the windscreen. Taping and glued a few small dots on the top and bottom letting them dry, and then glue each side and allowing that to dry. If I try and do it all at once I will make a mess of it every time. My Skymaster is an old Royal kit and it is also fiberglassed and painted. I put the windows in after I painted the model.. I used tinted plastic for the side windows so the glue doesnt show up unless you get right up on the model. RC56 drys crystal clear and is somewhat flexable after it drys. There are a few pic of mine in my gallery. If this doesn't make sense let me know what doesn't and I'll try to be more detailed in an email
Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
atsioukl
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Installing windshield and windows - Marutaka Skymaster

Thanks for the reply! That's an excellent idea. I'll have to give it a shot.

If I recall correctly, I think we've spoken before about our Skymasters. Have you had a chance to fly yours yet? If so, tell me a bit about your experience; i.e. how was the take off, cruise flight, landing, etc..

Also, what are you using for power?

As for mine, I've just finished glassing the fuse. I think I'm going to apply one more coat of resin though. Still have to glass the wing. Really looking forward to that job! Once done, I'll prime and paint it with PPG paints. Haven't decided on a color scheme yet.

For power, I'll be using 2 - OS FS 70 4-strokes. I'm pretty sure that this will be more than enough power.

Look forward to chatting with you.

Anthony