Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CA Hinge tools

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CA Hinge tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:35 PM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Hinge tools

A quick question.

Fo a newbie builder, do the hinging tools sold by Dubro and others end up saving any time, or ensuring a good installation or are they just another method of releiving me of hard-searned cash. I have to order up a few things to get started on my first build and I was thinking of adding one of these to the list.

Dubro Hingeing tool

I also (think) I need a couble bar sanders (5.5" and 11") should I get two of each size for coarse/fine paper?

How about cutting balsa sticks for framig up tail-feathers and stuff, can I just use my #11 blade, or am I better off with a razor saw?

I already have medium CA and 5 minute epoxy so I will order some thin CA and 3 minute epoxy.

I am going to get a buildng board tomorrow, one of the guys at the local building supply store is a RC nut, he should be able to help me out.

I've run out and bought too many cool widgets that I've never used before - this time I need to make sure that I'm getting what I need only.

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:55 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CA Hinge tools

The DuBro tool is nicer than cutting slots by hand, but see if Santa will bring you a GP Slot Machine instead

Bar sanders almost are a must (although they can easily be made)

So is a razor saw!!! Most of the tail feather sticks I use a razor blade for, but there are a million places where a saw comes in handy.

Forget the 3 minute epoxy (I hope that was a typo) you need 30 minute epoxy, and THIN CA is a MUST if you're using CA Hinges.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:43 PM
lownslo

Default You might try this one.....

MinnFlyer has it down pat. From practical experience I can not comment on the GP hinge cutter. I only read somewhere that it CAN (?), be a handful till you get it mastered. I would experiment on scrap first till you feel confident using it. I personally use the Harry Higgley hinge cutting tool. It worked great for me. Yes.... bar sanders a must. I save a lot of the light ply after punching out the parts. (pack rat) One thing you can make with these is small "sanding sticks".. Maybe 5 or 6" long and a few narrow ones up to 1" or so wide. I buy the stick on sandpaper from GP and just stick it to the ply and trim with a razor blade. ( you might want to spray some clear coat or make sure all dust is off stick so the paper sticks weel). I use a razor saw a lot. Trimming off servo arms, plastic control rods tubes, etc. Cutting thick balsa is very easy with a razor saw. I don't know what you will end up with for a building board but here is a hint if you use a ceiling tile. I "thought" my new work bench top was very level. I put down the ceiling tile and layed a 4 foot straight edge at several angles and found it had several low spots that ALSO showed up low in the same areas on my bare work top too. I got a stack of index cards, and started putting 3 or 4, (or more), in small stacks under the tile till it was perfectly level. In case I needed to lift the tile ..... I ran a long piece of scotch tape across all the cards to lightly secure them.
Good luck on your project..... lownslo
Old 11-25-2002, 09:49 PM
David_Moen

Default CA Hinge tools

MinnFlyer - yes that was a typo....

I could make bar sanders etc, but I have no wood working tools other than a power cut-off saw, a bow-saw, a Dremel clone and a swiss army knife. Now if you want to do a valve adjustment on a motorcycle or swap the clutch out of a Nissan Pathfinder, I'm all set, but as when it comes to little fidly bits o'wood, I'm empty handed!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CA Hinge tools

Well, I once totally designed and scratch built a 2 meter glider with no tools other than a razor blade and some drill bits (note: not even a drill... had to turn them by hand!). So anythings possible! In fact, I was thinking of starting a thread along those lines. Maybe I'll just do that.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:08 AM
Dsegal

Default CA Hinge tools

For CA type hinges the Higley hinge slotter is superb if you follow the directions.

Dave Segal
Old 12-04-2002, 06:33 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA Hinge tools

I always seem to be too late with help, but may help another builder. I have made a many hinge slot with a#11 blade and I have the scars to prove it! You can always get a hinge tool, but I would say a razor saw is a must. I have always been a tool nut and have faced the fact that too many is not quite enough.Good luck and keep a box of Band-Aids handy.AMA14958
Old 12-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Nuker

Default CA Hinge tools

For the cheap bar sander, no need to be Norm Abrahms

Get get a piece of hardwood about 2-3 inches wide and 24 or so inches long. (If you go to home depot or a store like that, check out hardwood flooring, pre laminated. Lots of times the tongue or grooves on a piece are damaged and useless for flooring. Doesn't hurt to ask for it or at least pay a $1-2 cost)

Double sided tape at Walmart, $2 for 50 feet. Also get a roll of sandpaper $4 for 25 foot roll. You won't use the full width; probably half. Use the laminated side to tape the sandpaper to; and it's easy to remove but holds until you want it off.

voila, a cheap sanding bar with no woodworking.

Bob
Old 12-06-2002, 02:11 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default CA Hinge tools

The hinging tool I use is the Harry Higgley tools and a centering tool by Great Planes and Goldberg.
A flat hard sanding board is needed,can make or build,balsa saw is big help,as time goes on the tool supply gets larger,sometimes I think the tools breed and multiply when the lites are off.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA Hinge tools

I only use the 11" bar sanders, having two is a good idea. The Great Planes bar sanders are excellent.