Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

testing BSI CA (a must read)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

testing BSI CA (a must read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:34 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default testing BSI CA (a must read)

this post is in regards to a thread from some 3 weeks ago about BSI CA glue, in that thread a few people disclosed (including myself) that they were unhappy with this brand of CA,,, since that post I have talked had many people telling me they are quite happy with BSI brand CA glue,,,

my initial problem was the glue would simply not hold 2 pieces of Bass wood together with any strength, well after a little investigation I have come to find that the BSI glue I bought from my LHS was more than likely a year or-so older than it's expected shelf life "and BSI CA is guaranteed for 2 years", and at the time of use I had owned the bottle in question close to 8 or 9 months, this making my bottle as old as~~~ maybe, closed to 4 years old,,,

so I ordered some fresh CA straight from BSI and tested it again, without going into a big Hoo-Haa about my tests, I used Bass wood knowing that the glue would not soak-into Bass as well as it would on Balsa,,,

my results, "in all my tests the fresh BSI CA held and the wood broke" even in the test where I used just a few drops the glue held and Bass wood just pulled apart,,,

in all fairness I must add,,,
I did talk to BSI vea Emails, and they did "NOT" ask me to write this post !!!! BSI Emailed me first and their only concern was my happiness with their product, and if I had bought old glue or rather there was a bad batch of glue,,, BSI has earned my respect !! I will have no problem buying BSI brand CA glue again in the future,,, I did suggest to BSI that they put expiration dates on all their glues...

Jim
Old 01-27-2006, 07:18 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: testing BSI CA (a must read)

The age of ca is usually not a problem with surfaces holding together properly but the glue setting in the bottle and thickening. Certain woods such as basswood sometimes do not glue as well as balsa.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it didn't work, the modelers that use CA would be in trouble because several of the other brands come from BSI?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-29-2006, 06:41 AM
rcmiket

When you say that the glue was "more than likely a year or so older than the expected shelf life" I've got to ask, how do you know? Seems to me the turn on glue would be faster than that even in a low volume shop. Being a low cost and everyday item over a year on the shelf seems rather a long time. I've been using BSI products since day one over 17 years and have never had any issues with any of their products. Hard woods are not supposed to be CA'ed anyway. Use a good wood glue or Epoxy. You don't mention any tests on balsa, that's mainly what CA is used for anyway. Mike
Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Intruder38

Just to add to the mix, due to allergic reactions to regular CA I have limited myself to odorless CA for the past 5 years. In that time I have used maybe a half dozen different brands at widely varying prices. I have settled on BSI as the one that comes closest to regular CA. Good stuff that! But my experience with both regular and odorless CA, no matter what the brand, has been that bonding the harder woods (spruce, basswood, and sometimes even liteply) with CA is a sometimes thing. There are times when it just will not soak into the wood to create the bond.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Any of the hard/semi-hard woods that Intruder refers to contain natural oils and as stated just don't bond well with ca type glues.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
egor

Hmmmmmmmm!

If I'm reading this right the gent had some difficulties with some glue and wood,commented on it. Then he bought some fresh glue, ran some tests and concluded that the product was indeed good stuff & then I think contacted the company for maybe advise & and again to say thanks. yup think that's it.

Sounds to me like he deserves an attaboy for being staight up about things.

personally I don't use much ca, only thing i can't get it to work on real well is my fingers

Oh Attaboy WASP

Egor
Old 01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

thanks Egor, your right,,,

as I said, my post was in regards to another post (see link), my LHS probably sells 2 planes or less in 3 years (rather ARF or kit), he probably sells that much glue in that much time to our club too !!

when 1 of my club members said he would not use the BSI glue I went home and tested what BSI I had against the zap I had, the BSI did not hold to the wood at all, after talking to a few club members I concurred the BSI I had must be quite old,,,

fresh BSI,,,
as I said, I now have fresh BSI, same type as my old bottle (maxi-cure), it IS the type that BSI recommends for a harder wood such as Bass wood, the glue held fantastic while the wood split,,,maxi-cure is also recommended for balsa, so I must concurred it will hold better on balsa because balsa is more porous..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3688722/tm.htm

Jim