Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Need Help Tinting

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Need Help Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Sidekick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Tinting

Can any of you guys help me with tinting windows.PLEASE

I am currently building TF Cessna 182, and I am trying to tint the windows. I bought a can of Tamiya window tint spray, and tried it on a piece of scrap. It looked ok, but a little bit light. So I sprayed the rear window with an extra coat, but I am not very happy with it. it looks ok from a distance, but everything inside looks fuzzy when I look up close.
I am a bit afraid to continue because I dont want to stuff up the whole job.
Is there any way of removing the paint now that its a few days old.
The dye's some people have spoken about on the threads are not available in New Zealand. Also some folks have not had much sucess with them.
If anyone can assist me with this I would be most greatful.

Thanks,

Sidekick.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:24 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Awhile back my father built a spirit sailplane which required a tinted canopy. Great planes recommended black clothing dye. This is vegetable dye sold at the supermarket. Not dye for vegetables, I think it's dye from vegetables. Nonetheless, I think it's called vegetable dye and one typically uses it on clothing. Buy black, mix as per the instructions, and then submerse for, I think, 24 hours. Do some scrap first. This produces beautiful, even tinting, in a nice brown color. it looks great on a sailplane.
Enjoy!
Reid
Old 11-28-2002, 08:54 PM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Try the black "Rite" Dye I belive it's called It is kind of expensive I divided 1 box into 4 portions and used a plastic shoe box .99 cents fill box with hot water enough to cover your windows and emerse windows This took a day at least for a canopy I did but left it for 3 days and it got alittle darker. If you want to try to remove the tint you have put on soak window in brake fluid (Test First) I use this process on plastic model parts to remove paint and restore parts. Oh yea the same plastic shoe box can be used for the brake fluid. Then wash with water and use for storage til next time. I use forceps to move the canopy around for even dye job

LMK
DCFLYYER
Old 11-29-2002, 04:12 AM
AJCK
My Feedback: (1)

Default Rit Dye

Yes, I used the Rit dye as well, with succes. I used navy blue, and got a beautiful tinted canopy.

Rit dye is made by Unilever, so it would not surprise me if you couldn't get it (perhaps under a different name) down under. It is a saltbased dye, intended to dye clothing and fabrics, by boiling them in a dye-water-salt solution.

Their website is www.ritdye.com

I used very little, maybe 5 spoonfuls or so, and mixed it with hot tap water, right in the kitchen sink (My wife was not at home!!!)

You get better/faster/darker results with warmer water. I used water that I could still touch without getting burned, you do not want to melt your plastic! Mine was tinted to desired tint within hour or two.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Lonestarxp

i think he said he couldn't get the rit dye in new zeland?