Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60 building. By a 54 year old beginner.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star 60 building. By a 54 year old beginner.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Four Star 60 building. By a 54 year old beginner.

The black flexible paint on the landing gear turned out great. So did the red on the wheel pants. I'm going to try to get to the airfield this coming Tuesday to maiden her.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Em - Tom spelled backwards ...

How fuel / alcohol proof is that paint?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Kmot

The red paint is Hangar 9 stuff so it is fuel proof. The black is automotive so who knows....
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
SeamusG

Ipainted the landing gear of my 4*60 with Hanger 9 Ultracote True Red. Every time Iclean it at the field the paper towel ends up with red stains.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67985.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1632556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38800.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1632557  
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Kmot

Uh oh..... [&o]
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
SeamusG

My landing gear is the Dubro composite 60 size one. It's survived an OS61FX, Saito 91, Super Tigre G90, and YS 1.10 and it's still pretty much red. The color doesn't wash off just kinda dissolves a bit. The surface is somewhat tacky - never really dries hard even though it cured for weeks before its maiden and seemed cured.

Sometimes I just hate messing up a great build by flying it.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Kmot

What do you use as your cleaner?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
SeamusG

For quick clean I use alcohol. This is where I get the red "blush" on the paper towel. If the paint were truly fuel proof alcohol shouldn't affect the paint. Nothing is perfect - this stuff is a very close paint to Ultracote True Red film (duh he says with a smile).

For a little more aggressive cleaning I'll use simple green and / or Windex. Friends at the field use Home Depot professional quality window washing solvent - cup in a gallon of water - and after a wash down of a glow plane there is NO residual oil film.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Kmot

I use this stuff now:

http://www.spraywayinc.com/products....om=glassmirror

Either that, or I use my own brew, simply dish soap mixed with water and put into a spray bottle.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
SeamusG

Definitely less aggressive - I'll leave the alcohol for cleaning up epoxy

Good luck on your maiden!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Kmot

What do you use as your cleaner?
Simple Green....cut 50% with water
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope your battery is not from 2006. If it is get a new one, I would hate to see such a beautiful plane go down for that reason. Good luck on the maiden
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

At the point your at,I held up my 4*60 to admire and promply put the wing threw the ceiling fan. Son of a -.Still flew well.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Kmot

Yep, my battery is newer than that.

Simco: Ouch!!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Andrewmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simco - -really sorry about your plane - but you made me laugh out loud. It is exactly the type of thing I would have done and then spend the rest of my life listening to my wife retell the story to everyone
Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Kmot

I needed to run my GMS engine again, before I fly the model. It had not been run in 5 years, and it had never been run when installed in the model. So I did that today.

Some problems cropped up. First, the high speed needle was sort of jammed against the top of the side frame of the fuselage and could not be rotated. A quick bit if action with an Xacto blade solved that problem.

I wanted to hand start the engine so that I would not bugger up my plastic spinner cone with an electric starter. Those plastic spinners will get ugly in a nano second if an electric starter gets involved. Well it had started on the second flip and I thought "great" but then it stalled out after a few seconds. I tried again and again to hand start and long story short my HSN was not adjusted properly and it would not start. So I went to the electric starter knowing full well the spinner would be ruined instantly. And it was...

But I sorted it out and got the engine running and it runs very well. I don't know what the peak rpm might be because the needle valve is perilously close to the prop and so I only adjusted it a bit and did so while the engine was at idle. But I got it close I am sure and I measured a high speed run of 12600 RPM on a 13x5 Rev-up Special. I eventually got the idle speed down to a steady 2600 RPM.

I also noticed that running with the Dubro spinner, it was not concentric and the engine vibrated badly at high rpm. So I would have changed it out anyway. I swapped it for a spinner hub, and eventually I will get a Tru-Turn spinner to replace the plastic one.

The engine is pretty dang loud with the stock muffler. I have now stuffed some course stainless steel wool into the muffler housing to quiet it down. I also added a silicone exhaust tip extension because the stock muffler's short stub really does nothing to get the oil away from the fuselage. I am going to run the engine again before I fly the airplane, just to make sure I did not over stuff the muffler. I have used this trick before though and I know it works.

Muffler packing.

Stuff it in there and work your screw through. It's actually quite effortless.

Ruined in a split second. [:@]

Temporary spinner hub.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
SeamusG

I like the look and balance of the Higley hubs & backing nuts. All of my spinners are the cheapo plastic ones - easier to clear out the prop openings for those mean old APC props. I've never had one "ring" like yours has done though. If I ever open up the muffler on my 2-strokes again I've give the packing a try.

I'm so NEW SCHOOL that I've never hand started any engine. But I did stay at a Holiday Express in the last year. Oh, I do have a "chicken stick" - that wood dowel with a rubber end on it so I don't cut my hands on the APC props when I prime them. [:@] I admit it - I'M A WOOS!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Kmot

Seamus,

APC props are spinning meat cleavers, plain and simple. Watch out for them!

I have a chicken stick too. It always leaves black rubber streaks across my propeller blades, so I don't like it and stopped using it.

This is in HD if anyone is interested, go to Youtube to click on it in HD:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJbg9RbzK8[/youtube]
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Kmot

Flight Report

Today the weather was just how I like it. Overcast, gray skies. Cool temp’s in the 60’s, and a gentle breeze blowing about 3 mph down the runway.

I got the Four Star fueled up and started, and the engine was purring nicely at a low idle. My wife was with me to video the maiden flight.

We walked down the taxiway to the runway. It was empty, so this was a perfect environment for a maiden flight. I asked my wife if she was ready with the camcorder, and upon her confirming yes I rolled to the center of the runway, applied power and watched this plane track perfectly straight and then break ground and fly!

I climbed to a couple of hundred feet and turned around in the pattern. My wife was already saying “I’ve lost it, I can’t see it”. I knew that would happen, oh well. I told her to just do her best.

I got back to the other end of the field and turned around. Then I realized I had not made a single trim adjustment. I told my wife, “I have not made a single trim adjustment! It’s flying perfectly!” That is what you call “flying straight off the board”, I told her.

The GMS .76 engine was running like a Swiss watch, absolutely perfect in all respects.

I went around one more time and then set up for a landing. The Four Star settled in nicely, and greased herself onto the runway. Wow! What a beautiful flying plane. I was very pleased, very impressed, and proud like a poppa with a newborn baby!

As I let the plane sit idling at the taxiway, my wife suggested I fly again, and maybe she could get a better video of it. I said sure and lined up on the runway and took off again. This time I flew more aggressively, doing some rolls and loops and higher speed flying. After a few laps of this I came in for a landing. This one bounced slightly a couple times. Then we taxied back to the pits and shut her down. I was beaming with pride. I thought to myself “I have a really great airplane!”

After a while my wife asked if I wanted her to film the plane flying one more time. I said “why not?”

So we got her fueled, started, and to the runway. This time I flew her even more aggressively. Several consecutive rolls, and some bigger loops, and more power applied. I was doing a knife edge, and suddenly the engine sputtered! I thought “uh-oh” and wondered out loud if we were going to have to deadstick land her. I rolled lever and the engine picked up again. I applied more power and the engine was running strong, so I continued my lap of the field, but I was not feeling confident anymore and decided to come in for a landing.

I turned onto final, and reduced power to start to descend toward the runway. Suddenly the nose pitched down! I applied full up elevator and there was no response. I wiggled the ailerons and there was no response. The plane was going down and I told my wife “I have lost radio connection!”. [X(]

It disappeared into the tall weeds and brush. I was stunned. I handed my Tx to my wife and started the long walk to search for the wreckage. I was hoping it might have survived without too much damage.

It finally came into view, a splash of color against the dry brown weeds. As I approached closer, my heart sank. The landing gear was ripped off of the wing. The wing was ripped off of the fuselage. The outer bays of the wing were crushed, destroyed. The fuselage’s back was broken. Completely broken in half. The wing mount and landing gear doublers were ripped out. The muffler was missing the back half. The carb’s HSN was bent. I was crushed, too…….

I have not yet removed the wreckage from my truck. I don’t know how much more damage there may be. I do not understand why the radio lost its linkup. I was using a brand new OrangeRx DSM2 9-channel receiver with my Spektrum DX-7 transmitter. I performed a range check before the first flight and walked out 70 paces and it was good. The first two flights were glitch free. What happened? I have not checked my Rx battery. Perhaps it was the culprit? I fully charged it yesterday, and also the Tx battery.

Oh well, se la vie. This plane had a very short expiration date in the air. It was so sweet while it lasted. I have never before had a model airplane that flew so well like this one, particularly on its maiden flight.

Farewell, my beauty.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
SeamusG

Aw Tom - damn. There's nothing else to say.

During your postmortem please check the Rx battery with a voltmeter that applies a load. Your flight reminded me of my 2nd flight of my SSE (see my avatar) may it RIP. I checked the battery and found that it had 5.70 v static. Under dynamic load it dropped a couple of tenths a second until it dropped below 4 v. Normally it would drop .8 to 2.0 volts then hold rock steady. When I was trying to trim it I is was flying circles & figure 8's - enough constant servo load to drop it below "failure" voltage.

Be well,
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Kmot

I wrote the above fresh from the field. I thought my memory would be at its best. But after observing the video, on the 3rd flight I did not perform any rolls or loops. I took off, circled the runway and went into a knife edge. That is when the engine started cutting back to idle or what I perceived to be fuel starvation. I rolled level and turned around to line up for the runway. That is when it glitched twice, causing the engine to rev up and down, and the nose pointed down and I had no more radio linkup.

Thanks for that Seamus, I will check the Rx battery. It is 1.5 years old, so I did not think it would be bad. I am using an identical battery purchased at the same time in another airplane and it has never had a problem. Total time of the video footage is 12 minutes, including filming in the pits and as we taxied out and back etc, so I am guessing the Rx battery was 'on' for a max of 20 minutes.

I should have some video up later tonight.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
SeamusG

Hey Tom - my battery pack was a Spektrum 1500 mAh NiMH 4.8v that wasn't more than 6 months old.

I've always thought that when I get a everything about the build just right and everything is "perfect" in flight that a lightening bolt will strike me down.

Back to covering my LT-40 (3rd time's the charm) ...
Old 07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Kmot

I just removed the carcass from my truck. Glancing over it I noticed one of the servos in the wing got broken loose. The epoxy held the side formers, so the wood just shredded and splintered itself. The fuel tank tray is twisted slightly. The vertical fin even got knocked loose and rotated back a bit. I will probably find more damage as I investigate further.

Here are the videos:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GYy-PSfaMA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd3Q02aGUF8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFsWVGXEMo[/youtube]
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Nergall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one thinking the Orange RX might have been the issue?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: Nergall

Am I the only one thinking the Orange RX might have been the issue?
Missed that - Orange Rx - that a knockoff of a Spektrum Rx?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.