Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Flex Rod.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Flex Rod.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:54 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Hog Bipe Flex Rod.

If I use the stock flex rod for the elevator and rudder, am I looking for trouble?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:09 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Flex Rod.

Do you mean Nyrod? The flexable control rods? If so, they work ok just make sure and anchor the outer tube well and in about three or four places along the fuselage. I prefere making pushrods out of 1/4" hard balsa or spruce or graphite tubes but Nyrods are ok.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM
EscapeFlyer

Nyrods are usually yellow, aren't they? These are clear or maybe white, with black sheaths. I've never used these or nyrod before. I've heard both good and bad things about them. So I wanted to try them for myself to have my own opinion. I've always shy'd away from these because I tend to put my aircraft through plenty of abuse in the air, I just don't want something that will seperate on me.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
tashley

There are different types. It's been a while since I've used them but I think the color designates the stiffness. They should be fine providing you anchor them properly. One drawback that I've heard of is that they change length with temperature extremes but I cannot substantiate that.

sp. edit
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
EscapeFlyer

I've heard that too, but I figured I'd never know 'till I tried, right?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
bhole74

Been using them for years trouble free. The color also varies with size and mfg. I use a lot of the Sullivan flexable CF, doesn't shrink and expand like regular nyrod but is twice the price.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 PM
tashley

Under the Sullivan brand, red is flexable and blue is semi-flexable. I have seen the black outers but can't remember what brand they were.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Those are the Sig Rods... they're a bit "stiffer" and larger in OD than the Sullivan's... I'm building a Hog right now, and using the Sig rod for the elevator. Went 'pull-pull' on the rudder. This is my first attempt at pull-pull, and so far, it's sweet! Just make sure you Anchor the outer rod at both ends, and at least 2 points between the ends and you'll be fine. Use a 12" metal dubro 'kwik-link' in the end. Clean the rod off good with alcohol (no, not Jack Daniels!) first, then smear it with epoxy. Stuff it all the way into the white inner rod, and turn at least 1/4" of threads into the inner rod. You shouldn't have any problems with it. I actually like these a bit better than the gold-n-rods, but i'm curious about how the summer heat might effect the black outer tube, causing trim changes.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 PM
tashley

I don't think the black color will be more affected than any other as it won't be exposed to the sun. What I think alters the trim of the model is basic expansion/contraction based on temperature extremes.