Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal Corsair 60 Build

Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Royal Corsair 60 Build

That is a nice looking stik. But you know, winter is coming and it is getting to be time to dust of that Corsair again. Your fan club awaits. :-)
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am going to try and start a seperate thread for any Royal kits (starting with pics of my Zeke as promised). I'm not sure how to create a link on this thread. I just wanted to let Kelsey's Corsair project proceed with less interuption when he returns. "Royal Kits" I guess I'll call it. Cheers all!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kelsey, if you're out there, I went and got plans, cowl, and canopy for this thing (want to keep my kit as a reserve). I am interested in your drawings! I understand that they mostly are to compensate for american size wood? What are the other salient features of your drawings? Looking forward to your return here when the time comes.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kelsey_B
I just like the look of the Zero. I plan to add some tabs on the ribs that will simplfy the wing construction, similar to more modern kits. I also saw a Platt video where he installed split flaps, so I have some ideas on that.

I have a nice cockpit, but it wont get installed this time. This plane was a test bed for me. I wanted to familarize myself with the Royal kit, and make sure my drawing worked. This plane is a trainer for me since I haven't flown a warbird before, so I didn't get too fancy with it. I am going to play with making a canopy for it. The one I have doesn't have any details molded into it. I want to see if I can add that and still make it look real.

Keith
After a few failed attempts, I now have a very nice, recent Zero kit. I had always thought the Zero had nice lines but I have never looked at it this close before. Very nice. And this is a fabulous kit too. I now see why people sing its praises. I only have one kit of it, so cutting parts for at least one build is going to be a must do for me. Clearly, I will want to build another version one day.

I too need a warbird trainer. Time to get busy and setup my shop and think about maybe getting a Top Flite kit to practice on.

- Jan
Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Klaatu, did you see my pics of my old Zero on "Royal kits". It is an old job i'm trying to finally get in the air. The lines of the plane are simple and attractive.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:15 PM
ZX1Ninja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, anyone happen to know what the top speed (actual/scale) of one of these would be (avrg) with a 120 installed. (shallow dive, power on)
Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 AM
PA BEN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just picked up one of these built. And was wandering if any one could give me the throws for this bird?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PA BEN, I'm near done on the TF P-51. Here's what you need to do: go to Top Flite website, and download the manual (yes, I did it not to long ago on the bigger F4U out of curiosity). The manual is crucial. All throws were listed for the 'Stang, and should also be in your kit's manual (understand you got it second hand). Let me know how the advice worked.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 PM
ZX1Ninja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, whats the status of the kit that started this thread anyway?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Kelsey_B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ZX1Ninja

Hey, whats the status of the kit that started this thread anyway?
I haven't done much to it since the last pics. I will get it back out shortly and finish. I still have to cover the fuse and attach the tail pcs. Then all that will be left is to finish up the nose components.

I've never flown a Corsair before, so I am anxious about finishing it and putting it in the air.

Keith
Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Garthwood

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dion..................I've watched this thread and you guys are just excellent. I'm putting together the H9 F4U Corsair .60, and I'm planning to install flaps. I'm kind of having the same dilema as Kelsey, not sure whether to use the Robarts pin hinges or go with your scale idea using the PC board material. I will not be using any bell cranks, will be using servos to deploy the flaps. My only concern is the inner flap and how to go about using the PC board hinge at that point. You are an experienced Corsair guy, do you think it is possible to use your hinging technique (scale) on the Hangar 9 Corsair ?. It is quite a task to install flaps on an ARF, where cutting out the area for flaps is quite challenging. What I was thinking is build from scratch the flaps, using the existing cut up piece and then segregate the three pieces would be much easier as to keep the lines correct, and then work from there.
Do you have any other technique to go about this kind of surgery ?.

I have followed your other building thread which is quite interesting and have kept copies of your flaps build. Hope you don't mind.
I liked your flight test video. Thanks for your informative techniques, your years of experience in this hobby reflects in your work.
Keep up the good work.

Charles.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 PM
p 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI, I WRITE FROM THE ITALY, I WANTED TO KNOW IF IT WERE POSSIBLE TO BUY THE FILE OF THE PARTS, I HAVE THE POSSIBILITY' OF THE LASER CUT A REGARD Á. TUTTI WARM HI GIANLUCA
Old 06-08-2008, 02:52 PM
p 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CIAO ALBERTO SPERO CHE ANCHE TU CONOSCA L'ITALIANO, VOLEVO SAPERE SE ERA POSSIBILE AERE IL FILE DEI PEZZI DLL'F4U ROYAL CHE STANNO COSTRUENDO , HO UN AMICO CHE HA IL LAER QUINDI LI FAREI TAGLIARE DA LUI .LA MIA MAIL gianluca.cerchi@virgilio.it
Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Garthwood

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

P40........dispiace stesso parti del mondo non parla Italiano, parlare Angles. Rispondo a Italiano non membro capish. Mio esperianza a lingua Italiano a terza rata. Tuo Italiano sono difficulto. Mia lingua sono Maltese. Per favor scriba Anglese.
Grazze,
Ciao,

Carmelo Vella, non de plum Garthwood.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i just picked up a kit and need the instructions and plans, where can I get them?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 AM
BalsaDawg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you mean a Royal Corsair kit, go to ebay and search for them. There are a couple of people selling them. I got a set from "uswing" that were really nice. But be warned: DO NOT USE THE TEMPLATES! The templates are an enlarged version of the "What Comes in This Kit" pages. Some are the right size, but most are WAY out of proportion.

Matter of fact, go there and lookup this item: 360092142426
Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
ZX1Ninja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Somewhat related to the thread.
I seem to have a problem. I have the Corsair Sr and the Corsair MIDI (a .19 - .40 engine size), but for some reason I am not able to find the recommended flying weight from the plans for either kit. I wondered if someone here would happen to know the weights. I would expect the Sr to be the same (or close to) the Top Flight kit, but the real poser is the MIDI kit.

By the way, I still want to know how the finished plane flies.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 AM
EGRUNE
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,
I recently acquired a Royal Products kit. Its several years old obviously but the kit is complete, nothing missing at all. Its the Hyabausa (Oscar) model aircraft. I'm trying to find any information on approximate value. I was informed Royal Products quit making kits (Owner retired), and these are now quite sought after. Any information would be very help....Thanks Much, Eric.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It was the best of the best. The highest quality kit existed form Japan. You could build a sunday flyer or a master scale to compete in the Masters competion, the kit included all you needed to build your dream plane. scale cockpit and aluminum cowl, high quality wood and scale documentations. The factory was distroyed by fire back in 80's, then a company in US offered a lesser kit on some models, but I am not sure they are still in business. These kits are collector's item and nobody wants to sell or build them. About 10 yeas ago I bet $250 on Royal Fw190 still lost the auction. I have a Royal Zero and corsair still in box. As far as the market value, I would say start with $300 and up.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Luke when you did the remarkable build of your royal corsair, did you build the original kit or did you hire a kit cutter to duplicate it?
I'm having a head ache with a local kit cutter who uses only the highest grade woods available but he does not include any sheeting.
The said "kit cutter" is charging $180 which seems a bit pricy to me. Now if he was to include the wood for sheeting I would go for it immediately.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:16 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fly and all, I would say you should take control of the sheeting. Kit cutters cut the parts that should be of either harder balsa, lite-ply, aircraft ply, e.t.c. Sheeting is selective. I recommend SIG Manufacturing for balsa as I have used them for years. Balsa is not always available in quality, at times. Realize the fact. It is expensive to get the best balsa, and in the correct density and grain. Balsa USA also is a good provider (I am just partial to the SIG Co. from experience for years). Get the SIG catalog! Talk to them and ask for light contest balsa for sheeting. They will figure something out for you. Be glad for the "kit cutters", and also be glad there are places to order the balsa you desire! Remember, there are times when any balsa provider may become low on availability...and be patient! For kit cutters, shop around....but they are only a few! Sheeting is your concern, and I have given you advice.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:20 PM
foxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

luke build his corsair from a Royal kit.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Wildcard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Luke didn't like using precut wood. He made copies of the plans and then tacked them to the wood with spray adhesive I believe. From there he would cut out the pieces. He did this for a 1/6 scale Corsair so I believe he did that for the 1/8th in this thread as well.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wild card, I suppose you're right, just slightly, in saying Luke didn't like "pre-cut" wood. Probably what he would say (and I hope he will decend on me like a starved eagle), is that it just isn't too hard to cut your own parts. Luke was happy to build a Royal kit that was "pre-cut", what I think (and I hope he won't be angry with me), is that he advocates any and all of us to be courageous and be prepared to cut our own parts. This really is the call of all of us older builders....to continue the art of building. Don't fear! Enjoy a challenge! It just isn't Luke. Many older fellows (what, maybe anything past 40), are used to having to build from scratch. It is the "life-blood" of the hobby in my opinion. It would be nice if Luke would inhabit this thread again. Maybe the well should be capped and retained for posterity.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:59 PM
foxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our hobby is actually three hobbies in one, building, art work, and flying. With popularity of ARF's coming from Asia at really low prices the wood kits are becoming almost scarce, so we are witnessing the loss of building skills and art work. The purist now have to start cutting their own wood, or find a wood cutter. I am currently building a 1/4 scale AT-6 with "WAR HOG" paint scheme and things I like to do like hidden switches etc. are almost imposible with a glass fuse or ARF's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.