Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal Corsair 60 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal Corsair 60 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:30 AM
ZX1Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Corsair 60 Build

Well DVM100, That sounds like a glowing report to me. That along with everything I have read so far, I am thinking stronger and stronger about an RCV120 for this project. It's a really good thing that I wont be starting the project for at least six more months. Have a few more peices to decide on and purchase so I have everything together to begin the construction planning. My next indepth research will be the Orgen Scale Aviation site and products. :-)
Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM
BalsaDawg

Seapilot

I got your decal scans, and all I can say is they look AWESOME.

And since then when I got a few free minutes, I've been retracing them.

Now if I can just find someone who happens to have a vinyl printer and some adhesive backed transparent lying around... :P
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80588.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	722663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59120.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	722664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61355.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	722665  
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM
qinamil

Excellent thread. One of my personal favorite warbirds of all times.

Anyone had any thoughts of how to make the wings able to fold with the kit?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 PM
flybug

ORIGINAL: qinamil
Excellent thread. One of my personal favorite warbirds of all times.
Anyone had any thoughts of how to make the wings able to fold with the kit?
I guess the folding can be acomplished easier on the bigger size birds but maybe a mod with some retracts and some sort of hinge on the wing to bring them up. Never done it before but just trowing out and idea [8D]
Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

I have not checked in here for a long long time. Every few years I think about getting started in building again but life always finds some reasons for me to not have the time. But nothing in a very long time has inspired me like this thread has... and a Coursair would be well down on my list of projects to take on. Kelsey, thank you. Thank you for the inspiration. But more than that, thank you for sharing spirit you have with making your drawings and making them available instead of hawking them on ebay.

What really gets me excited is a Bearcat. After reading this thread I went to ebay and see several people selling lots of Royal plans that are obviously copies. You guys know what I mean, anyone bought some of these? Are they really plans one could use to scratch build accurately?

I have an old (~2001) copy of Autocad Light. Long story, I only had it to be able to print out design files. I barely us a PC now, ever; Macs do it for me. But I will never, not ever spend the time or money to learn Autocad. I am just thinking out loud here about the potential to ask for a set of Coursair drawings or what I could do if I managed to get a Bearcat kit.

Hmm, I wonder if I still have that untouched Royal P51 (40 size) kit in the attic.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:02 AM
BalsaDawg

ORIGINAL: Klaatu
After reading this thread I went to ebay and see several people selling lots of Royal plans that are obviously copies. You guys know what I mean, anyone bought some of these? Are they really plans one could use to scratch build accurately?
Hey Klaatu

I have bought several of the plans that are being hawked on eBay. The thing to remember is that if it offers "Templates" of parts for the Royal kits, proceed with care. I bought a set of "Plans, Templates and Instructions" for the Corsair, and the "Templates" turned out to be nothing more than a blow-up of the "What's Included in this Kit" page. They were definately NOT to scale. On the other hand, the actual plans themselves are as good as the original for use in building.

BUT! If you buy the plans and ask Kelsey very nicely, he has a set of templates for the parts that are spot-on accurate.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 AM
tyr2473

Who is Luke? Wich thread?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Klaatu

Thanks, BalsaDawg. There seems to be at least two guys on ebay recently selling this stuff. I have asked both for more information, neither have responded yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-GRUMMAN-F8...QQcmdZViewItem

That one and another that has some parts but not plans listed right now.

Yes, that is a Bearcat, not a Corsair. As I said, Bearcats are first on my passion list. While spending way too many hours reading old threads this weekend, I see that Kelsey posted about his Bearcat kit and being undecided about what priority his Bearcat kit would fall under the same process he is doing here with the Corsair. Oh boy oh boy...

Turns out that I am going to be the new owner of the Royal Bearcat kit that closed on ebay this past evening. Alas, getting back into building after decades away, I need to do some kit building and bashing to work up to taking on a Royal kit. I am going to start with a kit or two from Bruce Thorpe and then build one of the current Top Flite warbirds. I suppose the very first thing I do once my kit is delivered is make a trip to Kinkos to make some copies of those old plans.

And I will PM Kelsey without further delay.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 AM
BalsaDawg

ORIGINAL: Klaatu

Thanks, BalsaDawg. There seems to be at least two guys on ebay recently selling this stuff. I have asked both for more information, neither have responded yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-GRUMMAN-F8...QQcmdZViewItem
Yeah, he's a really nice guy. I bought several sets of plans from him. The actual plans are as good (if not better 'cuz he ships 'em rolled instead of folded!), but the "templates" leave something to be desired.

I am thinking about building a Bearcat as well (IF I ever get the time and space to continue with my Corsair and get it finished), and would love to see Kelsey do the magic that he does so well with the CAD work.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Kelsey_B

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Klaatu,

Thanks for the kind words, and congratulations on acquiring the Bearcat. Definitely make some nice copies of the plans, and trace all of the die cut parts. Document all the pieces in the kit. Building from Royal plans alone would be difficult. I like to have the actual parts to make my drawings from.

I have not tinkered with a plane in several weeks, and haven't even flown anything in a couple of years. I just can't seem to motivate myself to finish the Corsair. It will be finished, I'm just not sure when.

I do want to build the Bearcat and I will draw it just like the Corsair, but one thing has prevented me from doing this. I only have the original canopy, and I don't want to use it. I tried several times to vacuum form a new canopy but have been unsuccessful. I hate to use the original parts simply because you can't get them anymore, and I want to keep my old kits alive. I asked for some help the other day and actually got a call from the most gracious master, Luke. He pointed out what I am doing wrong, so I am now confident I can make canopies.

My source of inspiration is Luke's corsair thread. There is nothing here that cannot be found in his, plus he does so much more with the details to make his really stand out. Here are some pics of his. They are incredible!! Here are a few of my canopy failures for the Bearcat.

Keith

Name:	Pn35513.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	750745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11409.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	750746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42281.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	750747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51828.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	750748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80224.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	750749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92672.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	750750  
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Sir Crashalot

Kelsey B, (Keith)
I just came across this thread recently, and have read through all ten pages. Great build! I picked up a lot of good tips. Also, I know that you offered these some time ago, but would it be possible to get a copy of your cad files for this model? Then I’ll just order the plans from ebay. If so, I’ll pm you my email. Thanks. Would love to build this guy!
Bob J.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Klaatu

Yeah, he's a really nice guy. I bought several sets of plans from him. The actual plans are as good (if not better 'cuz he ships 'em rolled instead of folded!), but the "templates" leave something to be desired.

Good to know. I am waiting for delivery of my kit to see what condition the plans are in before I spend mo' money.

I am thinking about building a Bearcat as well (IF I ever get the time and space to continue with my Corsair and get it finished), and would love to see Kelsey do the magic that he does so well with the CAD work.

For sure, for sure. Confession time, I could not help myself and bid on a Corsair yesterday. Now I have two Royal Birds on the way. I will probably go the route Keith has and scratch build these to save the originals. It is going to be a long while before I can start that.

-Jan
Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Klaatu

ORIGINAL: Kelsey_B
Thanks for the kind words, and congratulations on acquiring the Bearcat. Definitely make some nice copies of the plans, and trace all of the die cut parts. Document all the pieces in the kit. Building from Royal plans alone would be difficult. I like to have the actual parts to make my drawings from.

I have never built a Royal kit but I hear what you are saying. This is why I want to build up my skills with a couple of regular kits and at least one Top Flite kit before I take on a Royal project. I actually have a .40 size Royal P-51 kit that must be 30 years old. It is definitely a drawing and a log. I am not going to Autocad, but I will see how accurate a job my HP scanner can do to outline the parts.

I have not tinkered with a plane in several weeks, and haven't even flown anything in a couple of years. I just can't seem to motivate myself to finish the Corsair. It will be finished, I'm just not sure when.

Life happens. Hang in there.

I do want to build the Bearcat and I will draw it just like the Corsair, but one thing has prevented me from doing this. I only have the original canopy, and I don't want to use it. I tried several times to vacuum form a new canopy but have been unsuccessful. I hate to use the original parts simply because you can't get them anymore, and I want to keep my old kits alive. I asked for some help the other day and actually got a call from the most gracious master, Luke. He pointed out what I am doing wrong, so I am now confident I can make canopies.

Too few holes? I have not vacuformed in over 30 years either.

My source of inspiration is Luke's corsair thread. There is nothing here that cannot be found in his, plus he does so much more with the details to make his really stand out. Here are some pics of his. They are incredible!! Here are a few of my canopy failures for the Bearcat.

Yes, I read that thread too. This one feels more friendly. Luke has done some excellent work. I do plan on glass and paint instead of film. But I doubt I will get near his level of detail.

-Jan
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Klaatu

Just another shout out of encouragement to Keith. My Bearcat kit arrived a few days ago. And... I was surfing ebay last week and in a fit of weakness, I bid on a Royal Corsair (60 size). UPS dropped off the box a few hours ago. I guess I better get off my duff and order up a trainer kit and get back in the building game.

I now find myself lusting after a Royal Spitfire. And a P-51 (I have a 40 kit, want a 60). And a FW 190. And a P-61. Maybe even a B-25 or a Skymaster. I think I have it bad. ;-) I know I should abandon this madness, buy a few Top Flite kits and be happy. Maybe...

Are there any good Laser Cutting folks out there with any Royal kits programmed into their system?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM
fyredog

Oh lusting after Royal kits..... Let me tell you.... I have a bad Lust for these kits...Lets see 2-P-38's, 2-F4Us ,P-51, spit, ME 109, B-25, B-17, 2-Skymasters, 310Q, Zero, Hein, KI 43, C-47 I think thats all of them, But I really want a Bearcat, and FW 190, quit while you can...Let me tell you! although I may just be selling 1 of the F4U's a Marutaka, but exactly the same, One of the skymasters, and 1 of the P-38's to fund my Ziroli P-38 project. The royal kits are very cool kits, and I have not seen a better example of one of these kits than Luke's. I have several parts that Luke has made for these kits, and they are outstanding. He even manufactured a retractable tail wheel that I would nearly Kill for. He also made some very nice retractable mains that are functional e.g has the mechanism to pull the wheel up while retracting like the real thing.

This is a very good read, one of the best in my opinion!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...key_f4u/tm.htm

and another very good read:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1671250

Here is some eye candy from Luke's Threads:

Name:	Wu60782.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	757324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55385.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	757325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42148.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	757326  
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Klaatu

Yes, I have read those threads too. I am not one of those folk who join a forum and start shooting off questions. I have spent many, many hours becoming one with the search tool reading old topics. I think I followed Luke's Corsair thread in real time a while back. I have bookmarked several dozen threads here for future reference.

Thing is, I am not necessarily a total scale or die junkie. I do like building more than flying to be honest. But if I build something it is going to fly (at least once, if you know what I mean <g> ). My thinking on this may change over time... probably will. But for now, I am just trying to get back into the hobby after a ~30 year dry spell. Not totally 30 years. I have built some stick and tissue jobs over the years, but nothing like a 10-15 pound money pit. The Top Flite kits are probably scale enough to satisfy me for a few years. But deep down inside, I am an unapologetic quality junkie. I can separate quality and scale accuracy in my mind easily enough, pick a goal for a project and be happy with my choices. I do not mean that as a diss on Top Flite Kits either. They sure seem to have come a long way over the years. While I can appreciate the current crop of modern, preformed everything kits, however nice they may be, they do not call to me like a box of balsa does. Scale and quality be damned though, if they are going to be nerve wracking to fly. Anyway, I am in gathering resources mode for now. I have a long list of home repair projects to finish (we bought a 75 year old house a few years ago) before I can start any RC project without incurring the well deserved wrath of SWMBO.

-Jan
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

there's really nothing wrong with the top flight kits there a good introduction to warbirds and give a good reference point to getting back to building I am on my second one a P-47 and there is plenty of room for scale details as well as exellent instructions for a smooth build.
I also plan on doing a scale template copy of my 2 royal kits so I will be able to build them again when I am ready, I have already made a copy of my FW190 A8 plans and done the layout for flaps and a few extras I want to add to my model.
these models have nice looks too bad there out of production with some lightening and a little reworking of the 80's tech. they would be good sellers again the ME109 will be next years project.
after a long layoff myself the TF was a good start for kit building and got me back into the building groove with little guess work in the builds.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Kelsey_B

I have made some more progress setting up the controls in the fuselage and will post some more pics next week.

I have a question for everyone. The Corsair is getting close, and I need to decide which plane to start next. It takes time to draw the parts in CAD so I need to get that process started. I have a Royal Zero and Bearcat, and want to eventually build both. I would like input on which one to start next. You don't see many threads on either one, so each plane would make a nice build thread. I will make drawings available to all who want them!!

Please speak up. I'm leaning towards the Zero right now, but if there are more people interested in the Bearcat, I will buiild that. Anything with a straight wing will be a nice change.

Keith
Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 AM
saramos

Hi Keith,
I would vote for a Zero as it is one of the Royal kits I have waiting to be built. I've picked up two books that will be my main references. They are, The Maru Mechanic 1977 No. 4, and Aero Detail 7 Mitsubishi A6M Zero Figher.

Scott
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Klaatu

Well I have a Bearcat and a Corsair but it is going to be a while before I can think about building either. Anyone want to sell me a Zero? Seriously, please sell me a zero.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:36 PM
BalsaDawg

Hey Klaatu

If you get more than one offer to sell, point 'em my way, wouldja?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Klaatu

I should start a clearinghouse, eh? I have tried twice to post in the want to buy section and have not succeeded yet. Maybe third time will be the charm.

Oh no, I just bid on a Baron!

-Jan
Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

those Royal Zeros go for some big bucks the last one I saw went for somthing like 400$ ,the Royal plans are good enough to do a scratch build with a little graphics work,I just got a fiberglass cowl from ebay for my FW A8 so I can preserve the alum one for posterity.
I am thinking I will do a parts template of the kit contents with some lightening holes along with the retract plywood re enforcement ribbs of my own design and send them off to be laser cuter and see how it comes out.
I would be happy to get a AT6 Hollywood Zero from TF wish they would re issue that kit they look pretty good in the air theres just not enough Axis planes off the shelf.
http://www.bhplans.com/index.html there is some nice looking planes if you want to order from the BH service
Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 AM
saramos

I guess I got lucky. I picked mine up on ebay for $125 about 2 years ago. At the time, corsairs lightnings and just about any german plane were the ones going for big bucks. The cheaper ones seemed to be the japaneese planes, the bearcat, peashooter and dakotas. Now, most all of them get up there in price.
I've lucked out on my other Royal purchases. Paid 250 for the b-25 and 250 for the 98" corsair. I inherited the p-38, 60 corsair and skymaster.

Scott

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
fyredog

I picked up a hollywood Zero a while back, and even ordered the regular texan canopy just in case. Another hard kit to find, my Dad picked up a red box top flight zero a while back, ended up paying a pretty penny for it. It seems like if you want really nice kits these days, you have to pay the price, Just think what they will be worth in another 10 years from now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.