Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal Corsair 60 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal Corsair 60 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Kelsey_B

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Royal Corsair 60 Build

ORIGINAL: Rocketman612

Kelsey B,

Just found your thread. Great work. There is always interest in in a Corsair build

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I've seen your corsair, and was quite impressed with your work. Thanks for interest in this thread. I thought I would get the wing covered and ailerons attached over the long weekend, but I spent my time doing other things. No progress to report at the moment.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 PM
BalsaDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kelsey_B

ORIGINAL: Rocketman612

Kelsey B,

Just found your thread. Great work. There is always interest in in a Corsair build

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I've seen your corsair, and was quite impressed with your work. Thanks for interest in this thread. I thought I would get the wing covered and ailerons attached over the long weekend, but I spent my time doing other things. No progress to report at the moment.

Well, I'm gonna drop my "ME TOO!" in the ring.

Nice job on the plane and the thread. Even if you don't SEE any action on your thread, that doesn't mean that there aren't lurkers reading it. Been a lurker for a while, but when I found your thread I registered just so I could tell ya what a good job you're doing.

Also, If you don't mind I would love to get my hands on a set of the templates you've done. Do you have them in .pdf format that will print to size? I was in the process of working on a set myself (I bought a set of plans at a yard sale), but since yours are MUCH better than mine I thought I'd ask.

Keep up the good work, and keep the info coming. It sure goes a long way helping up-and-comers like me get the skills to do this kind of thing.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Kelsey_B

I covered the wing this weekend. I don't claim to be an expert with plastic film, but I'm pleased with the way this turned out. I'm sure there are other ways, but I covered the curved area first, and overlapped the film.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30635.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	675872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46226.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	675873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76089.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	675874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63266.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	675875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46660.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	675876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16036.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	675877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43814.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	675878   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43940.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	675879  

Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 PM
ZX1Ninja

Kelsy B

I just recently bought a Royal 60 kit and I am very interested in what you are doing here with this one. Please keep up the updates and I would also be intersted in getting more details if you have any. Great work!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM
perfectplanes
My Feedback: (133)

Kelsey
I have acquired one of these already built. I dont have the plans, can you tell me what the throws are and what the CG is?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Kelsey_B

I don't think the control throws are shown on the plans or in the instructions. My plan is to consult the manual for my TF corsair and use their recommendations. Everything I have read about the TF corsair is that it is very sensitive to evelator movement, and not to exceed the recommended throws. This plane seems to have a large elevator, so that sounds reasonable. Maybe its due to the short geometry or CG location, I really don't know why this happens.

Anyway, I will be away from the computer until Monday, but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I will post the TF suggested control throws and the CG location on Monday.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:41 PM
BalsaDawg

ORIGINAL: perfectplanes
I have acquired one of these already built. I dont have the plans, can you tell me what the throws are and what the CG is?
Like Kelsey said, the booklet for the Royal plans do not have throw or CG information, and the plans show the CG but no measurements (not at home ATM so can't measure). But below is direct from the TF Corsair Manual:

--- *snip* ---8<--------
We recommend the following control surface throws. (Throws are measured at the widest part of the elevators, rudder and ailerons.)

ELEVATOR:
11/16" up, 5/8" down (High Rate)
1/2" up, 7/16" down (Low Rate)

RUDDER:
2-3/8" right, 2-3/8" left (High Rate)
1-3/8" right, 1-3/8" left (Low Rate)

AILERONS:
1/2" up, 1/2" down (High Rate)
3/8" up, 3/8" down (Low Rate)

FLAPS:
At low point of middle flap, 1-3/8" down

NOTE: If your radio does not have ā€œdual rates,ā€ then set up the control surfaces to move midway between the recommended high and low rates.

--- *snip* ---8<--------

--- and on balancing:

--- *snip* ---8<--------
Accurately mark the balance point on the top of the wing on both sides of the fuselage. The balance point is shown on the plan (CG) and is located approximately 4-1/4 inches back from the leading edge at the center. This is the balance point at which your model should balance for your first flights. Later, you may wish to experiment by shifting the balance up to 5/16" forward or back to change the flying characteristics. Moving the balance forward may improve the smoothness and arrow-like tracking, but it may then require more speed for takeoff and make it more difficult to slow down for landing. Moving the balance aft makes the model more agile with a lighter and snappier ā€œfeelā€ and often improves knife-edge capabilities. In any case, do not balance your model outside the recommended range.
--- *snip* ---8<--------
Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
BalsaDawg

I covered the wing this weekend. I don't claim to be an expert with plastic film, but I'm pleased with the way this turned out. I'm sure there are other ways, but I covered the curved area first, and overlapped the film.
Cool! Your wings look awesome!

Been messing around with the templates, and some of them got stretched in the conversion.

But not to worry, just whipped out the ole PShop, and did a little creative shrinking. Got most of them fixed, and even to the point of having some of the pieces cut and sanded and ready to go together. Prolly get around to that this weekend.

Name:	Om34250.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	695013  
Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Kelsey_B

ORIGINAL: Woggs

Cool! Your wings look awesome!

Been messing around with the templates, and some of them got stretched in the conversion.

But not to worry, just whipped out the ole PShop, and did a little creative shrinking. Got most of them fixed, and even to the point of having some of the pieces cut and sanded and ready to go together. Prolly get around to that this weekend.

Thanks, but this plane can be made so much better than what I'm doing here. I think my next investment will be some of the Platt videos so I can get some ideas and be a better builder. I have been trying to duplicate some of these old canopies, but have struggled.

Which parts are you starting with? Post some pics of your work. Since this thread gets a lot of hits, more building shots would keep it interesting.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
BalsaDawg

Well, I've pretty much decided that my FIRST corsair will be built pretty much to plans. I've got a lot of ideas for details (mainly thanks to guys like you, Luke, CorsairJock, etc.), but I'm gonna save it for the next one.

As for parts, I've got the VStab and Rudder, HStab and Elevator, Tail Block and the main spar of the wing cut out and ready. I've got a pile of 1/16" for sheeting and some ply for the fuse. I hope to have things started this weekend, and some preliminary pictures taken.

By the way to whoever is reading and thinking about starting one yourself, you can take the templates I posted a couple of replys back and print them on a sheet of letter sized paper (I used cardstock to facilitate re-use) and get started with the VStab and Rudder.

I wish I could get in touch with Luke and get a copy of his website from him. I would be more than happy to host it on my domain as a sub. I've got plenty of room and the bandwidth I use per month doesn't even register on the usage graph. Of course I also want it for my own selfish use too! ;D
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
RookiePilot

Kelsey,

How exactly did you get the parts into Autocad? Did you actually measure every part, or did you scan images and trace into Autocad? Your drawings or flawless, just wondering how you went about it.

Thanks,

Reggie
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Kelsey_B

ORIGINAL: perfectplanes

Kelsey

Here is the CG info as promised. It appears to be 3 7/8 from the leading edge

Name:	Db83974.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	697315  
Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Kelsey_B

ORIGINAL: BalsaDawg

I've got a pile of 1/16" for sheeting and some ply for the fuse. I hope to have things started this weekend, and some preliminary pictures taken.
For sheeting, you will need 3/32 for the wing, and the fuse is completely sheeted with 1/8 balsa.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Kelsey_B

ORIGINAL: RookiePilot

Kelsey,

How exactly did you get the parts into Autocad? Did you actually measure every part, or did you scan images and trace into Autocad? Your drawings or flawless, just wondering how you went about it.

Thanks,

Reggie
I did draw each part into cad. I first created a drawing the was simply a grid sheet made up of vertical and horizontal lines 1/4" apart. I traced the actual part from the kit onto this sheet. If the part had a straight edge, I would line it up with one of the grid lines. I picked a few reference lines to measure from, and using dial calipers I started measuring where my tracing intersected the grid lines. It was just a matter of plotting the points in the computer and connecting them with the arc command. I would print the part and compare it to the original and make any adjustments necessary to match the original. The curved pieces such as ribs and fuse formers require more time to draw than a piece that has some straight sides on it.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Quinoa

Hi everybody,

I won the ebay auction for the royal plans including the building manual. Does anybody know where can I purchase laser cut parts, cowls and cockpits, for this 60. Corsair?

One more thing. I saw the plans and the outlines of the parts are very thick. What is correct, to cut a pice of wood from the plans with the same size as the inside + outline or just the inside?

Alberto
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
BalsaDawg

Hmmmm, I don't think you can GET laser cut parts for this kit. If you find some PLEASE let me know.

Royal has been out of business for years, and the kits are getting harder and harder to find.

I have done quite a bit of digging and searching on the internet, and about the only things I could find in way of parts is the cowl and oil cooler parts made by Fiberglass Specialities. Of course the cockpit, cowl, canopy, and decals from the GP or TF corsairs will also work, but other than that you'll have to cut your own.

I think I know the auction you are talking about, and as far as the "templates" go: DON'T TRUST THEM! The plywood templates are pretty close to what is needed, but the balsa sheets aren't even close! I have no clue where he got that sheet, but it is VERY misleading. I bought the same one, but I did it just to give me a set of plans I could cut up and work off of, leaving my originals intact.

The plans are an excellent source of "what goes where", but they were designed for you to build a plane from THEIR die cut parts, and as such they are not so good for scratching new parts. The die cut ribs and other miscellaneous parts that are shown on the plans fit just about on top of the drawn line. At least in MY kit they do... :P
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
BalsaDawg

For sheeting, you will need 3/32 for the wing, and the fuse is completely sheeted with 1/8 balsa.

Eeeep! Uhm... I mean... YEAH! I knew that! Yeah...

I was just... um... seeing if you were paying attention! Yeah, that's it! [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Quinoa

I think I know the auction you are talking about, and as far as the "templates" go: DON'T TRUST THEM! The plywood templates are pretty close to what is needed, but the balsa sheets aren't even close!
[]

That means... ItĀ“s a waste of time to build from scratch with this set of plans? Does Anyone have drawn more accurate templates/plans?

Alberto
Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Kelsey_B

BalsaDawg,

Have you checked my drawing against actual parts to check for accuracy? You should fine its dead on. I've seen that template sheet on the ebay auction and assumed it was supplied by Marutaka at some point. Its a little disappointing to hear its not right.

Quinoa,

I'm not a scratch builder and would not have been able to build from the plans only. I wanted a kit so I see how each piece is made. If you can get access to autocad, I have drawn every single part that comes with the kit. All you have to do is print it out. The lines won't be thick either. The cowl from precision fiberglass is top notch and fits well. I'm assuming the canopy from TF would work, or maybe even the hanger 9 canopy would fit, and it would already have the frame rails painted.

This is an awesome 1/8 corsair, but it is out of production which means there is no support for it regarding parts. Building from scratch means you will have to get over some of these hurdles. I'm trying to learn how to make canopies, but so far, all I have done is waste a lot of .040 PTEG.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
BalsaDawg

BalsaDawg,

Have you checked my drawing against actual parts to check for accuracy? You should fine its dead on. I've seen that template sheet on the ebay auction and assumed it was supplied by Marutaka at some point. Its a little disappointing to hear its not right.
Kelsey

Yup, I have, and most of them are spot on with the Royal die cut parts. Here and there the curves are not quite the same, but nothing that will be noticable without laying it on the plans and comparing dot by dot...

Some I have found - mostly the really long pieces like aileron and elevator - are stretched. I don't know if that is because of the conversion from AutoCAD to .PDF or my scaling technique, but it is not anything that can't be fixed with a little piddling around with the scale of the piece to match the die cut part.

What I do is snapshot the ruler in the .PDF file that I am working on, zoom in to like 400% or so, copy and paste into PShop, count the number of pixels between 0 and 1", then copy the parts into PShop the same way and print the parts out to paper at that dpi. That way I can add the part number, quantity and material to use.

Of course, my "scaling" technique is quite extensive and exacting and is completely above being suspect! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

ORIGINAL: Quinoa

That means... ItĀ“s a waste of time to build from scratch with this set of plans? Does Anyone have drawn more accurate templates/plans?
Quinoa,

Using the "template" page, yes. If you start reading the "Building Manual", you will see right off that there are a LOT of pieces used (preshaped by Royal) that are not shown on the template sheet or the plans except in exploded views and by reference.

But the actual PLANS are really nice. MY originals have some age spotting and are a little brittle, so it was nice to find those to give me something clean and since they were rolled it doesn't have the folds in them.

If you have a way to print Kelsey's files, do it! They are really nice.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Quinoa

If you can get access to autocad, I have drawn every single part that comes with the kit
Could you please send me these AUTOCAD files?

I donĀ“t use to work wit AUTOCAD, but IĀ“ll try to print the parts. Is it difficult to print? What size of paper (A3?)

Alberto
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Kelsey_B

Autocad is a drawing program. A cad drawing is not restricted to any paper size. Cad drawings can be very large. They are scaled down to fit a standard paper size.

This is ignorance on my part, but is autocad used outside the U.S. If so, try to find a local company that uses it, and ask them to print the parts. You don't have to print the entire drawing at one time. Parts of it can be printed. You just need a printed copy of each part on the drawing. you will wind up with several sheets. It just depends on what size paper a particular company uses. I think if you can find some one to do this for you, they would be quite interested in your project.

It should be obvious, but make sure to print the drawing at full scale (1 = 1)

Send me your email, and I will forward the drawings. The file extension for the drawings is .dwg
Old 06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Quinoa

my email: [email protected]

I have Autocad. I will pay atention to print full scale (is this option in the printer dialog when printing?)

Is it difficult to draw in AUTOCAD your own parts? I think itĀ“s a good way to store the plans information
Old 06-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Kelsey_B

Sorry Alberto,

I misunderstood your post. I got the impression you were not familiar with autocad.

You will have the drawings in a few minutes.

Keith
Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Wildcard

If any of you want the parts laser cut I have a friend that has a laser who you can hire to cut the parts out for you. He is a fellow RC builder and is pretty good with CAD designs. His prices are pretty decent and will vary depending on how much you are looking for him to cut out and how much work he has to do on the CAD drawings. Just send me a PM on what you want done and provide the CAD plans and I will get you a quote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.