Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Stearman c/g

Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 PM
T-Rex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Super Stearman c/g

Hi, can anyone tell me the center of gravity
for the Midwest Super Stearman ? And is it
checked on the top wing or the bottom wing.
I've tried it but it seems tail heavy, but not
knowing the proper c/g, it may be right as is.
I have installed an o.s. 120 gemini twin-cylinder
four-stroke. Thanks for any info.
t-rex
Old 02-22-2006, 08:20 PM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Super Stearman c/g

ORIGINAL: T-Rex
Hi, can anyone tell me the center of gravity for the Midwest Super Stearman ? And is it checked on the top wing or the bottom wing.
I've tried it but it seems tail heavy, but not knowing the proper c/g, it may be right as is. I have installed an o.s. 120 gemini twin-cylinder four-stroke. Thanks for any info. t-rex
According to the instruction manual (it works well for me) the CG should be located at 1/2 inch behind the leading edge of the bottom wing. Obviously, it is easiest to test the balance by projecting this point upward to the top wing and then placing your balancing points on the underside of the top wing. On my model that is 4 and 3/4 inches behind the top wings leading edge.

<edited to add> With a Saito 1.50, and a 1600 ma battery pack under the fuel tank, I had to add between 13 and 14 ounces of lead to the motor mount to achieve the balance point.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Super Stearman c/g

It seems like your question was answered by tony but in the future finding information like this can be as easy as doing a search for Midwest Models and you can find a self help page such as this [link=http://www.midwestproducts.com/consumer%20customer%20service.htm]one.[/link]