Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

U.S. Aircore Colt 40 information

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

U.S. Aircore Colt 40 information

Old 12-02-2002, 09:30 PM
ricdel
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. Aircore Colt 40 information

I was given a U.S. Aircore colt 40 missing the rt & lt spars .

I need to know the thickness and the width and I can make some.
Can anyone help??
Richard
Old 12-03-2002, 06:17 PM
rcs36
My Feedback: (4)

Default Spars

Hi, I have built and flown US Aircore 40 Colt and the trainer. They both have the same wing. I cut my wings to make the 58" sport wing version on the Colt. Anyway, the spars are: 1 5/16" tall X 1/4 thick X what ever wing span you choose 64" or 58". The spars are angled at the tip to form the tip of the wing. These spars are glued together with ply as a dihedral brace. Do you have the manual and the braces?

Hope This Helps,
Richard
Old 12-03-2002, 06:26 PM
rcs36

Default U.S. Aircore Colt 40 information

Richard,
I just noticed that you too are from IN. How about that! Same first name, same State and same plane. I'm south of Terre Haute. Just thought I would mention this. Anyway, if you need any info on set of your colt, let me know. I have flown mine all season and it is a blast to fly. If you wish to just e-mail me, I am at [email protected]

Later,
Richard
Old 12-04-2002, 02:16 AM
ricdel
My Feedback: (9)

Default Colt 40 information

Hello rcs36

Thanks for the information on the spar. I can finish this plane up now and get it in the air.
I live near Rochester, IN and it looks like I will be flying in the snow.
Thanks again,
Richard
Old 12-04-2002, 03:51 AM
rcs36

Default Colt 40

No problem, glad to be of help. A few more things that might be of help to you is that when you try and fit the wing into the pre-cut wing saddles, you will find that the curve of the saddle does not match the wing. But, as you carve out the saddles to match the wing, also carve them to set the wing incidence. You set this at "0". Do this and square your wing with the stab before you add on the wing positioning strips which are mentioned first in the manual. The wing incidence is very important as to how this plane flies. I also added some thin one sided sticky foam, like that used when installing camper shells to trucks, to the wing so the saddles do not rub on the wing. You might also consider clear coating your plane. The red ink on this plane rubs off from the fuel. I'm not sure if clear coating will work, but it might be worth a try. Set the CG right on the wing spar ,for now, and you should have no problems. What size engine are you going to use and what prop? I have an OS .46 FX with a tuned pipe and a 11 X4 APC prop. I set a little right thrust angle, 1 - 2 deg, on mine and she tracks pretty straight on TO. When you think you are ready to do the best flat spin that any plane can do, let me know and I can help with the set up.

Good Luck and Keep Warm,
Richard