Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

silly question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

silly question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:51 AM
samsdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly question

I am putting the finishing touches on my Mid Star and I want to run my attena out of the bottom instead of out the top of the plane to give it a "cleaner" look. This is my 3rd build and I,ve never done this before. I am setting it up as a taildragger if it makes a difference. How do I run it out of the bottom of the plane, and is it a good idea with it being a tail dragger? Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: silly question

No problem at all. Use nyrod sheath or drinking straws to make a conduit. All my planes (except one) have the RX antenna running out the bottom.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

If you really want a clean look use a piece of inner nyrod or a piece of Dubro antenna tube and keep it inside. I've been routing my antennas inside for many years with nary a range problem.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Silly answer : Nuck KNcuk wally ally tee poo pie snoort brrrr ung chin.

Not so silly answer : Just make sure you do a good range check!!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 AM
samsdad

How far back do I have to run it? And, if I do keep it inside, does it have to exit the plane at the back? If I run it out the bottom on the ouside, how do I secure the conduit to the plane?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run the conduit on the inside of the fuse, and let it exit at the rear of the fuse. Let the extra RX antenna dangle out the back, or secure it with a servo horn and rubber band.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:52 AM
samsdad

Sounds good. Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

When I run my antennas out the bottom, I hook them to the tailwheel. First of all, I always tie a knot in my antennas about three or four inches from the rx to keep them from pulling out of my receiver. Then I drill a 1/16" hole in my fuse and stick out the antenna. The I reach it back towards the tailwheel, and grab it about four inches short of the tail wheel and tie a rubber band onto it there and hook it over the tailwheel (the rubber band that is). Then just let the extra hang out. Be careful not to step on the antenna!@#&@%#&*!@
Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Silly question HUH there are no silly questions, Just normal questions that only silly people ask. A pic is worth well at least a few words but here is one anyway, It's the yellow nyrod I wouldn't dare use on my control surfaces now that I fly 60 size and up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65723.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	417260  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Timmahh
Banned

i was thinking about this as well for a build i started a month back. i have not liked alot of the normal antenna mountings i have seen, for a plane i really appreciate the clean look of no antenna wire. This is my first build, and i am going for a GOOD scale appearance. for my antenna wire solution, i am planning on running the wire across the top of the fuse, tubed ofcorse, up the inside of tail and right out the top of the tail itself, just before the rudder? by the time you add the extra distance up the tail section, and you exit the top, you should only have a small amount of wire hanging out. is there any flaws in this theory? the only Possibly issue i can think of is possibly interferance with rudder control should the antenna actually get cought up in the rudder itself, binding movement.
what do you all think? am i missing something important about the reception itself? the freqs wavelengths should be sufficient to have clear full reception with this method.
comments?
Tim
Old 03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Timmahh
Banned

sorry if i am hijakcing here, but i think it fits in this thread.
Tim