Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

top-flite p-47 monocote covering

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

top-flite p-47 monocote covering

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:40 AM
RubenJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top-flite p-47 monocote covering

Hi,
I think I am going to cover my p-47 thunderbolt with monocote. Has anyone done the same thing?
I would really like to see the results so pictures of monocote covered airplanes would be great! Please post them here.
thanks
Ruben
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: top-flite p-47 monocote covering

I've not done it, but have pondered this as project. Will you cut the Monokote into individual panel sections? How will you deal with any compound curves, etc.? What will you use for matching paint as Lustercote can be very difficult to match colors and even apply?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Top-Flite seafury in monokote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57260.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	417339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72152.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	417340  
Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice monokote job.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:57 PM
RubenJ

For me it will be the first time to cover whit monocote, I've done it once with oracover. I want to cover it with monocote because this seems the easyest way for me. Painting is more difficult I think. I want to cover it with the olive drab color cause I want that military green color. I don't know how that look but the sea fury looks great! Does anyone know if this is a good plan?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:40 PM
jamie_duff

Personally, I despise iron on films with every fibre of my body.

But that's just me. I find fibreglass can be very nearly as light if using 3/4oz cloth and spreading the resin out properly, looks infinitely better, because you can do as much or as little surface detail as you want, and you can paint using accurate colours rather than bright shiney film colours.

I also find the iron on films really fiddly and take me just as long to apply as fibreglass. Of course you dont need to let films cure or paint them afterwards, but I've never been happy with the finish of any models I've covered in films.

Tht Sea Fury is pretty, but I think it's an example of an extremely good job. Most film covered models look dump.

Don't get me wrong, I use films for sport models when I occassionally build them, but for scale models, even casual "club scale", I know I can do so much better with fibreglass, or even doped tissue covering.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
tfarmer96

I have a spit on the bench right now and am getting to the point of asking the same question. I have decided to monocote it and use lustercote to put the camo on it. From what little i have done its a big game of taking your time.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 PM
skymortar

my olive drab monokote{still on the roll mind you}looks a little glossy.i was thincking of covering it and hitting it with some gold or grey scotchbrite.do you think tha will work?also,i paint cars,can you paint monokote?we use a flex agent but im not sure it is up to the variances it would be subjected to.how else can i do the stars and bars over invasion stripes
Old 03-01-2006, 11:38 AM
RubenJ

I already thougt that monocote doesn't look so good on a warbird and painting would be look much better but I hoped I that my thougts were wrong. I think I am going to paint my p-47. I've never done it before but I think with some help I can do it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
rcuman

Do not monokote. I had a horrible time with it and this next winter I am going to strip it all off and fiberglass it if it lasts that long. Mine is the P47 Razor Back version and it was hard as H*** to monokote it and didn't look good. I had a buddy of mine make it look presentable but all of that is falling off.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:24 PM
K01S

The Monokote on that Sea Fury is a real first rate job! Great work! - K01S [8D]
Old 03-03-2006, 04:58 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Skip Monokote ...Oracover (Ultracote to you Americans) is much easier to use and it adheres much better to any surface compared to Monokote.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

Name:	Ge94031.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	419398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81671.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	419399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77506.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	419400  
Old 03-05-2006, 03:39 AM
RubenJ

Oracover looks great on your plane but for the militairy green color that I want on my p-47 I am afraid that it won't look so great. Maybe it's better to paint it, I've seen lot's of warbirds that have been painted and they look great! I think I am going to try that.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:02 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi just want to pop in with an alternitive to fiberglass and monocote Try world tex natural you iron it on pant it any way you want can even put scale panel lines on it ( see my pics in members galery under p 51 a prodject ) these planes are done with this product.any questions just ask

watch ur 6 and trust your wing man

Name:	Yw66576.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	423779  
Old 03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
AVGJohn

I finished mine this winter and used MonoKote to cover with no big problems. Painted the cowl with Aluminum Lustre-Kote and followed with a couple coats of crystal clear on the cowl. Looked good. The flat Olive Drab MonoKote on the razorback and in front of the canopy went on fast and looked good. I had to extend the OD over the cowl with paint and also paint the greenhouse canopy. Lustre-Kote OD was a very poor match and completely unacceptable. I finally fiddled with some Sig brush on dope and managed to blend and mix up an acceptable color match. (I've had considerable experiene with paint mixing in industry.) Most hardware store paint depts. could probably furnish a good match. Plane came out looking good and I am now waiting for Michigan winter to go away so I can get in the sky.