Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit builders

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit builders

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
koolhand11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit builders

To the masses out there...Do you know of any kit building companies that have a good reputation???

THanks
Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Kit builders

I'm not certain just what you mean. There are some reputable companies that will cut a kit for you from plans. Its a little expensive, but I hear good things about them. There are good companies that make kits. Many of the kits companies here in the states are going out of business. Its difficult to compete with the cheap ARF's from China and the Far East that are built using something very much like slave labor.
There are still a few good kits companies left. Sig has been around for a long, long time and makes wonderful "sport" kits and a few scale kits. You generally can't go wrong with Sig kits.
If you are looking for something a little more scale, then they are getting difficult to find. My source is Ebay. But beware. 90% of the kits there are absolutely junk. If you don't know your way around and know which kits are the good ones, you probably should not attempt to shop there.
Could you be a little more specific about the types of planes you wish to build ? And do you mean kit cutters or kit manufactures ?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
koolhand11

No I mean I buy the kit from the company that makes them. Then pay someone or company to build it for me. Deployed right now and would love to have a AKM Flanker ready when I get back...Just tired of building now got a little burnt out before I left, and there arent many good prop jet arfs
Old 02-28-2006, 09:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know if there are any "companies" that do that, but there are a few of us individuals that do it. This time of the year it may be hard to find one as most are already involved with builds for the winter. What are you looking to get built??

Ken
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built planes for people in the past and have been asked a couple times by PM from a couple people on here to see if I would build them a plane....for my work see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3916506&key= This is a Ultimate that im building for myself right now any questions please ask
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
kendoll

I remeber about 18 years ago in my home town, there were several older guys in the local club that would build kits for people. Of course, that was back when ARF's weren't around just yet, all you could get were kits.

It's been 18 years since I've been out of the hobby, until about 6 months ago. I asked my current club members if they knew of anyone who builds for people and the response was "not to their knowledge."
Old 03-01-2006, 01:55 AM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: kendoll

I remeber about 18 years ago in my home town, there were several older guys in the local club that would build kits for people. Of course, that was back when ARF's weren't around just yet, all you could get were kits.

It's been 18 years since I've been out of the hobby, until about 6 months ago. I asked my current club members if they knew of anyone who builds for people and the response was "not to their knowledge."

Yes its sad to hear that not many people out there like to build anything anymore. And I think its a good knowledge to have on how a kit is put together. That way if you should ever crash something you would have some knowledge on how to fix it and fly it again rather then buy another ARF again.... Dont get me wrong ARFs are a hell of alot nicer then they were 15 years ago. and now-a-days with everyone wanting something yesterday its a shame that no one wants to take a little time to have some REAL pride and joy of making a box of sticks into a great flying airplane....just my .02
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

I just wanted to tell you, I am building the AKM Flanker right now and it is allot easier build than i ever thought it was going to be. Alex has done the kit right. There are some mods i have made that were well documented in the extreme speed prop planes forum. So far i have about 20 hours and have the fuse 3/4 framed (on installing equipment before i seal up the engine pods) and also have half of one of the 2 wings framed. All in all the laser cutting and fit is excellent. I know i am not answering your question about your finding a builder but if you do take on the kit yourself it is easy actually.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Kool,i Still Build And Feel Building Is As Much Fun As Flying.
Some Of The Problems With Building For Some One Else Are As Followels
How Do You Charge For What May Be 300+ Hours To Build A Kit.Even At $5.00 An Hour It Will Be a Large Sum.
The Time Frame,It May Take Months To Build And The Customer My Want It On There Time Schedual.
I Have Had People Ask To Build For Them The First Thing I Will Say Is You Provide All Parts And For A 40 Size Kit I Want $500 Up Front First Because i Do Not Want To Get Stuck With A Model I Have Built For Some One Else.
Then There Are Warranty Issues.If You Build and Test Fly It And The Owner Crashes It In The First Few Flights.A Refund My Be Demanded Esc...
So I Will Build An ARF But Not A Kit.
Just My Opinion.Good Luck And I Hope Find A Good Company To Help With Your Project.

John
Old 03-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

I do building work in the KY area from Kits to ARF's
Old 03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
kendoll

I've recently been trying to find a decent laser shop that will cut parts for me. Have you ever sent files out to have parts laser cut?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:45 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are looking for a laser cutter go here [link=http://www.lazer-works.com]Lazer works[/link] . Give Eddie a call and tell him that Ken from Lawton referred you. He'll do a very good job of cutting what you need done, and his prices are very reasonable. I've had him cut me 6 kits in the last 2 years and they have been outstanding. He takes the time to try and make sure that the wood he cuts in is as good as it can be.

Hope this helps

Ken