Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

building 4* 40 wing questions...

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

building 4* 40 wing questions...

Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building 4* 40 wing questions...

ok I now have to put the trailing edge and glue the wing halves to gether. what I cant figure out is how im suposed to use the dihedral "tool" the instructions just say, "now use dihedral tool" or some thing like that im --> [&:] huh? did I miss some thing??
I have done a search but could not come up with any thing. so 4* builders how do I do this dihedral thing. thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
flyierjon

Default RE: building 4* 40 wing questions...

hi, before you glue the root (center) ribs, put the wing halves on a flat surface. now take your dihedral tool and that is used to set the angle of the root rib on each wing half. once you have the root rib angle set with the dihedral tool, CA the root rib in place. Make sure the top of the root rib is leaning toward the outside of the wing panel. now after the glue dries butt the two wing panels together. Before you glue the panels together trial fit them to make sure they fit proporly and check the dihedral brace as well.

Hope this helps!!
Jon
Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
lyotchik
My Feedback: (21)

The 4* wing is supposed to have 2 degrees of dihedral on each panel. The "tool" provided with the kit is supposed to give you this. Each point along the length of the center rib, both sides, should lie flush with the jib. I found that it was pretty tricky to use this tool and get a straight rib. After you cut slots for the dihedral brace and before the upper spar is glued in place, the rib is pretty flimsy and its difficult to keep it straight. (On my first build I found some wide pretty wide gaps between the two center ribs when I joined the two halves.) I was thinking of making my own tool by squaring up a short section of 2x4 and then cutting a 2 degree face on my table saw. This would be a very wide version of the tool provided in the kit, but when held against the rib this would give support to the rib over its entire length.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The dihedral tool should be a piece of Die-Cut plywood that came with the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22108.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	418116