Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig vs Great Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig vs Great Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

With Hobbico/Tower Hobbys going bankrupt, I wonder what will become of Great Planes/Goldberg/Top Flight since all 3 are owned by Hobbico.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM
ma_mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
With Hobbico/Tower Hobbys going bankrupt, I wonder what will become of Great Planes/Goldberg/Top Flight since all 3 are owned by Hobbico.
With kit building so slow, I would suggest getting any kits you want now. I'm not so sure the kit side of the business will survive. However, the ARF side could survive if demand were high enough.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM
acdii

Considering all ARF are outsourced, that will be a given. WOuld not at all be surprised to find Hanger 9 planes built in the same sweat shop as Top Flight and SIG.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:45 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have built: Sig Kougar, 2-LT-40, Senorita, Citabria, 4*60, 4*40, 1/5 Cub, Riser 100 and I have these kits: 1/4 scale Space Walker, Astro Hog, Hog Bipe, Kadet Senior, Senorita, 1/6 Cub. Currently refubishing a 4*60 and finished a Senorita that I converted to ailerons for the club trainer. Thinkin' about a 1/4 Cub...from Sig.
Do I like Sig?
I have other brands but prefer Sig.
I once owned a GP .40 Cub which I flew with an O.S. 70 four stroke, puttering around the sky at 1/4 throttle.
I also have a BUSA 1/6 Sopwith Pup in waiting.
It might be interesting to find out just how many like BUSA kits. Would not be surprised as they have the biggest selection of WWI and golden age kits for 1/4 and 1/3 scale.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ma_mulcahy
With kit building so slow, I would suggest getting any kits you want now. I'm not so sure the kit side of the business will survive. However, the ARF side could survive if demand were high enough.
I think the cottage sized kit manufacturers will carry the load. There are several out there and there are more and more kit cutters showing up who can cut a short kit. I hope Tower stays open but if not, Sig is still alive and well, Dubro isn't going anywhere, and there are others who are still open.

carl
Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 PM
acdii

Getting wood cut isn't a problem, getting plans, so-so, but getting hardware is troublesome at times. If Tower falls, then getting hardware if you have no LHS leaves you with looking for a reliable online shop.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 PM
jollyroger

Originally Posted by acdii
Getting wood cut isn't a problem, getting plans, so-so, but getting hardware is troublesome at times. If Tower falls, then getting hardware if you have no LHS leaves you with looking for a reliable online shop.
Try Advantage Hobby; Advantage Hobby has RC Airplanes, Helicopters, Cars/Trucks/Boats, Radios, and R/C
Besides when one company fails there is always someone else to pick up. If Hobbico goes under there will be someone else to take over.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 PM
acdii

I'm the kind who wants to physically see it before I buy it, so buying online is troublesome for me, and losing LHS has been a big problem. I would love to load up on hardware too, but never know just what I would use and what would be a waste.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:37 PM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've built two GP kits:
PT-40 - great build, not the easiest trainer.
SlowPoke 40 - challenging build, okay flier. Thought it would be good as a first low wing but the short coupled nature of the plane did not lend itself to a good experience for me.

I've built five Sig kits:
Kougar - first RC plane - truly a builders kit - no laser cutting. Didn't last long as a trainer.
Sr. Kadet - challenging build, but the flying is great for a beginner! Much better than PT-40.
LT-40 - Great build - comes with most everything you need to put the kit together and laser cut. I soloed on this plane.
LT-25 - The easiest RC plane kit I have ever built - laser cut. Flies great, but has a tendency to lose the dural landing gear with not so perfect landings.
Midstar - Nice step toward a low wing trainer. Laser cut - easy build - good flier.

The point of all this - I like Sig better
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 AM
jollyroger

I live in Northern Michigan where the LHS is few and far between and I mean few and far , the only real local hobby shop is in Traverse City, Mi. and is actually centered around trains, so it sells only ARFs and what little hardware they stock, mainly Dubro but the rack always seems to be missing parts and the supply of covering is dwindling to only a few rolls. Needless to say they have very little to offer except if you need some Cya in an emergency and don't mind paying a dear price for it. The shop is located downtown , in the main business district, which is now mostly trendy T shirt shops, overpriced ice cream and the like. An expensive place to locate a hobby shop.
If I actually wanted to I could end up driving all the way to Grand Rapids to either a Ryders or Hobby World. Otherwise it would be all the way to the Prop Shop in Warren (north of Detroit)..
needless to say I end up ordering everything online.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 AM
ramboy

Originally Posted by fix-n-fly
PT-40 - great build, not the easiest trainer.
Do you mean the PT-40 did not fly well?