Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

60 TF CORSAIR & CJ RETRACTING TAIL WHEEL

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

60 TF CORSAIR & CJ RETRACTING TAIL WHEEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 PM
happylandings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 TF CORSAIR & CJ RETRACTING TAIL WHEEL

OK, I RECEIVED MY CJ RETRACT TAIL WHEEL TODAY. I CAN UNDERSTAND THE
'GET IT TO RETRACT" PART, BUT THE STEERING OF IT HAS ME KINDA PUZZLED. THIS GOING TO BE INSTALLED IN A TOP-FLITE GOLD EDITION 60 SIZE CORSAIR. I ORDERED FRONT GEARS TODAY FROM SIERRA. ANY INFO ON GETTING ALL 3 WHEELS TO RETRACT AT THE SAME TIME? AND THE CORRECT WAY TO SET UP THE TAIL WHEEL TO TURN WITH THE RUDDER? ALSO THE ONE THING I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THE CJ TAIL WHEEL IS NO SHOCK ABSORBING? SEEMS TO ME THAT ONE HARD LANDING AND I CAN KISS THE REAR OF THE PLANE GOODBYE.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Default RE: 60 TF CORSAIR & CJ RETRACTING TAIL WHEEL

hmm good question, how have you come out so far, im going to be starting this kit after i finish a arf 120 p47d. any pix yet?
Thanx
Tim
Old 03-26-2006, 01:42 PM
charlieoneseven

I did use the CJ mains but didn't use their tailwheel and left it stock.
If it's anything like the pull-pull design Robart sells you'll have to add a pull-pull crank in the fuse like a control horn from a UC plane and 2 cables to the retractable gear. Good luck and keep the pictures coming so we all can improve that design.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Timmahh
Banned

as Charlie said, now that i have halfarsed educated myself on this. you ll need to set up a pull pull on your rudder servo, on linkage to rudder and one to tailwheel. set links an same side of servo horn and adjust so the rudder and wheel are aligned and turn the same.. as far as getting all 3 to retract, that is only 2 Tees and a bit of hose to go to your rear retract. you ll splice the tee s just after your control valve. on side to the mains,the other side to the rear. another tee to split between the stern/aft rec on mains for up and do the same to the down side.
all your doing is creating 3 hoses for up and down instead of 2...
if you need a pic let me know, i can get you one.
hth

tim
Old 03-26-2006, 03:42 PM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Go to Zollnermodels.com . He has the "how to build your own" especially for the Corsair. You can use pull/pull with fishline to steer the tailwheel. and a pushrod to the rudder. The retracting can be done with an air cylinder moving a push rod or directly hooked to the tailwheel itself. I have done two on Hellcats by using a servo and pushrod for retraction. The servo is "Y" harnessed to the retract servo that operates the retract air control valve.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Timmahh
Banned

i was on the Zollner site, but only found some of the links working.. but what was available to view was fantastic...
Tim

check the F2G build. it has ALOT there as well.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 PM
mitchelsanders1412

where can I buy the landing gear for the f4u Corsair gold edition?