Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Wonder

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Wonder

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Mike Baldwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Wonder

Just finished my Sig Wonder. Fast kit to build it really only took about 3 1/2 days to build. I dont know if I'm ready to fly it yet, maybe mid summer. I made some of the mods I found in these pages. These forums really help, so much information at your finger tips.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10905.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	423426  
Old 03-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Sig Wonder

Very nice job. I like the color scheme, too. 3 1/2 days? You must work steady. Good luck on the maiden. Give us a full flight
report, please.

Jim
AMA 821369
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Mike Baldwin

I did work pretty much straight through. I get pretty kind of obsesed when I start a build, cant wait to see what it will look like. Currently working on a Tiger 60 with a G 90 on it, next is a Tower Uproar 60. I wish the snow would go away so I can put some of my new ones up. I dont like doing maiden flights in the snow and cold.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Wonder is a BLAST! You're gonna love it!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Nice job on the wonder. I really like flying the wonder. Bring it down and I will fly it for you.

It's my favorite winter plane. It lands very nicely in the snow with that skid on the bottom of the fuse. They land really easy. I can usually land mine within 20-30 feet from me.

What motor are you using?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Mike Baldwin

I put an OS FP 15 on it. When I started out in this hobby when I was about 17 I bought it and a FP 25 for my PT 20. I had put it on the PT 20 and it wouldn't even start to take the plane off the ground. So there it sat for over ten years waiting for a new home. It finally has one. It should be pretty quick.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Antennaman
My Feedback: (3)

oh man. I just started building mine. Planning on putting a .25 fx in it. hope it flies.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Mike Baldwin

Going through some of the threads on the Wonder I found that you need to do some beeffing up if you are going to use a 25.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I picked up a Wonder partially completed with the fuselage already covered. I didn't like the covering job on it, so I stripped it off only to find that there is a sheet of metal laminated into the sides of the fuselage between 2 sheets of balsa. Is this how the kit is built, or did the builder add this? It sure does feel strong, but I don't even want to think about how much weight that added if it's not supposed to be there in the first place.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Mike Baldwin

There was not metal in my kit. Must have been a mod some one had made. Havent gotten the nerve to fly mine yet.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:58 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flew mine 2 weeks ago. The maiden flight was very short. Since you never know how a plane will fly the first time I always add a little up trim. When I released the plane it shot straight up I immediately gave it down elevator but it was'nt enough. after the first 5 seconds I was able to trim the elevator down and at about 100 ft up the motor quit (thank god). Have you ever tried to land a plane by giving it down elevator? The plane was porpoising so bad I finally got it into the wind and slowed down to get it on the ground. I was impressed on how slow this plane will float the landing was just a small thud.
After gathering my nerves, I took the small up trim out and gave it some down trim. Well I let the plane go again and it landed 3 ft in front of me with the nose stuck in the soft mud. Broke the prop and I didn't have a prop reamer with me so I could'nt try it again. I still haven't flow in again.
I'm sure that it will be a hauler when I get it trimmed out.
Got a magnum .15 XLs, 7 x 4 prop, weight 2.2lbs.

Larry
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Mike Baldwin

Mine is ready to go, but I think that I am going to have some one else launch it for me so I can be ready on the sticks. Sounds like it will be real touchy on the elevator. I used Cirrus micros for the elevator and throttle, both mounted in the rear compartment and a Futaba 148 for the ailerons. I know that the Cirrus servos dont have much torque but I hope it will be enough. What type of equipment did you use.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
lbarnes

Using JR servo's and Hitec radio gear. Looking at the elevator surface, I really dont think a high tourqe servo is necessary.

Larry
Old 03-26-2006, 11:11 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry, sure sounds like aft CG to me. The Wonder has a very narrow CG range - you don't want to be off in either direction. Don't use your fingertips to balance; that's not accurate enough. Build a little balance stand like it shows in the manual.

Also, I'm wondering if you are actually throwing the model to launch. Your post makes it sound like you're just letting it go. Mike's got it right - get somebody else to launch those first couple of flights until you get used to it.

And Cobra99 - No, it's not designed with sheet metal in the sides. There must be a story behind that!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wonder needs a strong 0.15. I had a TT15 and it was too weak - I'd suggest using something stronger than an LA 15. Mine also was tail heavy and I had to add lead to balance (the TT 15 is pretty light). Good airplane, easy to build, and fun to fly.

Paul
Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
lynnman

I've been flying my Wonder for 5 years now. I use an old OS 15FP with a 7x6 master airscrew prop. The prop has lasted all those years. Flies about 15 minutes on 4 ounces of fuel. It's the most fun you'll have. My favorite airplane. As described be careful with the CG. When hand launching be sure you send it straight into the wind at about a 30 degree angle. Get some help on the first couple of launches until you are sure the CG is just right. As the fuel level drops you will want to put in a click or two of down trim so that you are not fighting the elevator to keep it level. Since this plane is so short coupled it is naturally pitch sensitive. Take it easy until you get a few flights on it then turn up the controls and have some fun. Good luck.

Lynn
Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Mike Baldwin

Lynnman
When I normally balance a plane I make if level then useally make it lean forward a couple degrees. What would you suggest for the wonder.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
lbarnes

Thanks for the info but the C/G is right on.
It was my adding UP elevator that really caused the issue of going straight up and my over reaction to the up and adding down trim to make it a lawn dart.
I have about 12 1/12 scale combat planes without landing gear and have mastered the art of releasing the planes. some I just let go of and other need a shove.
There was no damage to the plane only my pride, but I have a saying that I have use over the years. "I always win". The plane will fly again.

Larry
Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
gumhead

Great looking color scheme Mike!

Ok can I show off my now? It has an OS 15 CV-A w/apc 7X6 prop. Its was a little scary at first but now I just start her up and throw her in the air. Its a fun plane to mess around with... My next one Im gonna put some rudders on it.

here's mine...

Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Mike Baldwin

Looks great, a real patriotic looking plane. Have you seen one fly with the rudder mod. I was just wonder how effective they would be. With the plane being so easy and cheap to build a guy could have a whole fleet.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
lynnman

Mike,

I had to mess with my CG quite a bit until I got it just right for me. I'm on the aft edge of the recommended range. It makes the plane pitch sensitive but I'm used to it. Start with your CG on the forward edge of the recommended range. Adjust it until you are comfortable. I sure miss the rudders sometimes but do not personally feel it is worth the extra weight, If someone tries it out let me know. These planes are a blast. I have flown it in 20-30 mph gusts. It penetrates great and floats in for that nice skid every time!! Have fun.

Lynn
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 PM
ramcharger

[:-]I fly a Wonder with an OS 15FP. It has 2 Futaba quick mini servos on the aileron and elevator
and a S148 on the throttle. It has been flyin for over 8 years on the same 270mah battery. I never
could get a tank over 3 oz in the fuselage. I launch mine be myself. I use a Hot Shot glow battery,
extend my antenna and make sure I throw at about 30 degrees up into the wind. I have flown a lot
of Wonders and a 25 engine is good if your going pull combat tail. If my prop quits in the
horizantal position I land the plane on our asphalt runway. Don't throw the plane to hard or you
starve the engine. I have thought about removing the throttle servo to make it lighter but haven't
figured a way to keep the engine @ full throttle. Have fun.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Mike Baldwin

Ramcharger you could put a contol line motor on the wonder. This just means you would have to fly it out of fuel to land. Alot of times you can pick them up cheap from guys who used to fly contol line and moved up to RC. A few years back I picked up a 19 and 29 enya from a guy for 15 dollars for both. Its nice to have trottle though.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
lbarnes

Keeping the throttle wide open is easy, just use a small spring or rubberband to hold it open. I used this method on a small norvel .061 on a Zagi just for fun.

Larry Barnes
Old 03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
gumhead

How are you gona do tail slides with the throttle stuck open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.