Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Easy Sport 40 - Spar sticks above ribs

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Easy Sport 40 - Spar sticks above ribs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:29 AM
kolban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Easy Sport 40 - Spar sticks above ribs

Folks,
Newbie here again. Still working on my 1st kit build - the Great Planes Easy Sport 40. I have completed the wings and find that the spar just behind the leading edge sticks higher than the ribs. See the attached pictures.

The spar slotted into the pre-cut slots and the spar is seated all the way down in these slots.

My question is ...

Does this look ok? I am thinking ahead and when I come to cover it, shouldn't there be a smooth surface across the wings? Surely this spruce (or other hardwood) bar be flush with the tops of the ribs?

Did I make a mistake?

Should I sand the spar down to be flush with the ribs?

Looking for advice.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57606.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	426270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55584.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	426271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35370.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	426272  
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: GP Easy Sport 40 - Spar sticks above ribs

Neil, welcome to the wonderful world of Kit Building

This is not all that uncommon, what you need to do is to cut the slots a little deeper with your hobby knife or a razor blade so that the spar sits flush with the top of the ribs.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 AM
kolban

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I have already glued the spar in place!!

Should I attempt to free it, clean the slots and re-apply or should I attempt to sand-down the spar?

The thing is, its not one or two slots that aren't deep enough ... it appears to be all of them!!

Neil
Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Dsegal

This usually happens when I cut the spar slots myself! (G) If you glued the spar with CyA you can release it from each rib, recut the notch carefully and then reglue. It will take time and patience to do this. Apply the debonder on a rib and wait. Apply some more and use a new blade, #11 or razor blade, and carefully pry the joint apart. Don't try to hurry this. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 AM
kolban

Hmmm ... the thing is that it is every slot ... not just one or two. I took great pains to ensure I was using the right part and also that it was correctly oriented ...

Neil
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 AM
T-crafty

Look later in your plans - there may be leading edge sheathing that raises the covering surface of the leading edge above that spar. It may be intentional.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
T-crafty

I took a look at your instructions and the drawing they provide shows them being above the covering surface but it does not show sheathing. I have to say I do not know now what there intentions are. Sorry.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
kolban

I had followed the plans blindly (first model) and had assumed that there would have been a step later to add some sheeting (or else they knew what they were doing ... I don't want to second guess the plans at my junior career).

In the plans:

http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/g...152-manual.pdf

on p36 D1 they show the wings ... no sheeting.

The spars were added on p15 DD12 and p14 DD8

I am guessing that there is a problem ... maybe there isn't? I am guessing if I leave it alone I will have a horrible ridge in my stretched covering.

Neil
Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
MinnFlyer

You will have to cut them all free - Like I said, "Welcome to the wonderful world of Kit Building"

BUT just for the heck of it, ask your question (With pictures) in the Great Planes Direct Support Forum,[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_55/tt.htm](Click Here)[/link] and Bill Baxter from Great Planes will tell you for sure if it's supposed to be raised or flush
Old 03-15-2006, 09:54 AM
MinnFlyer

PS. If you DO have to cut them all free, it's really no big deal. I've had to do a lot worse at times!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:50 PM
JC

Kolban,

It is difficult to see from the photos, but could you have glued together the 3/8" to 3/8" spar sides instead of the 1/4" to 1/4" spar sides?

JC
Old 03-16-2006, 01:07 AM
kolban

JC,
You caused me to go out to my garage again and check, check and double check. The plane comes with 4 bass wood spars. They are 3/8" x 1/4" x 30".
There are two spars per wing, a total of 4. On each wing, one spar is at the top and one at the bottom. The slots were exactly 1/4" wide and snug at that. There was no way they would have fitted the 3/8" width so I believe that they were 'polarized' to accept the 1/4" (front to back) and the 3/8" top to bottom. Now, as you say, if they could have accepted the 1/4" (front to back) then they would not have been proud of the ribs ... but I would have had to cut each of the slots to fit.

Is this what you were getting at?

Neil
Old 03-16-2006, 12:17 PM
MinnFlyer

Once again I would like to refer you to the GP support forum (In my previous post)

Maybe they were supposed to send you 1/4" x 1/4" spars. Only they can tell you
Old 03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
kolban

Thanks Mike, I posted to the support forum yesterday and got:

If the spar is proud of the ribs, then the slots may be too shallow, or a too-thick piece was put into the kit for the wing spar.
from Bax. I am now in 'solve it' mode ... and was looking for recommendations. The meat of which appear to be to debond the spar, trim the slots and reset the spar so it is flush. Since this was my 1st kit, I blindly followed instructions and assumed that since everything was tight in the slot, the proudness of the spar would be 'taken care off' in a later step ... but for me, not the case. In a future build, I will know much better to ensure that all is good at 1st fitting.

--- Neil
Old 03-17-2006, 08:46 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh yes, kit building. At least you didn't build two right or two left halves.
Looking at the manual online, it looks like the front top spar should have been 3/16" x 3/16" (DD8 pg 14).
Instead of debonding the spar, you may try adding cap strips to the tops of the ribs to make up the difference.
I have had to debond ribs from the spar more than once. I epoxied a main centre spar into place and it shifted before the epoxy cured. Big hunk of 1/4" ply sticking up from the top surface of the wing and the wing dihedral wrong. The most useful tool to remove the spar was if I remember, a razor saw to cut the epoxy. I also used a dremel with a small saw blade, various x-acto knives and a lot of very bad language. I believe I also required scotch.