Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe build

Old 09-03-2004, 12:34 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Hog Bipe build

Hey kit peeps... Got a Sig Hog Bipe the other day and was searching for build threads or advice on what to avoid while building.
Anyone build this and have advice?

Was hoping to build and fly her in the next few weeks. Doable? off work on the 16th / 17th, and again on the 30 / 1st for jewish holiday (not jewish, but loving working for a jewish company ) and wanted to have her out and flying by then...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:49 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe build

You're gonna love this plane - I still regret selling mine. Here's a link to a review I wrote in '98 (gosh, time sure flies!)

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...s/HogBipe.html
Old 09-03-2004, 01:58 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

Thanks luvbipes!

Question: Did the turtledeck behind the cockpit get sheeted? I hate the exposed stringer look...
I flipped through the instructions briefly on the can and dont' remember seeing this, nor sheeting in the box for it...
Old 09-03-2004, 02:59 PM
CP140

Just finished mine a couple of weeks ago, but with work etc, I've only got three flights on it...well 2 and a bit flights...I had one of the older guys, pardon me, "more experienced" guys do the first flight...I did fly it, but he took it off and landed it.

Yes the turtle deck is sheeted. You have to cut the pieces for it from the sheets in the box. Mods I made were to move the main gear ahead about an inch, dual servos for the ailerons(easy to do since the instructions/kit came with all the extra bits) and a Sullivan tail wheel. Mod I wish I had done was use a size or two larger blindnuts for the main gear to allow for using larger nylon bolts.

As for how long to build...I can't give a good answer...with work etc, I'm a slow builder...but remember, with two wings to build, it will take longer!

If the weather is OK, maybe I'll get another flight in on it this weekend!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 PM
LMProd

Let us know how it flies, I am covering one now.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:28 AM
swooper

http://www.fubarhill.com/
Eric's Fubar Hill has a ton of info on Hog-Bipes in various trim schemes, with construction mods, engines, etc.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:31 PM
jucava

Sweet thing you got, very aerobatic an fun to fly.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:52 PM
p.j

I have put more than 50 flights on mine this year. It is a great plane for allround fun.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:33 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

ORIGINAL: swooper

http://www.fubarhill.com/
Eric's Fubar Hill has a ton of info on Hog-Bipes in various trim schemes, with construction mods, engines, etc.
Good stuff here swooper! Thanks!

Planned on moving up the landing gear as was mentioned before... what I'm thinking is: try the stock, and if I don't like I can move up an inch by reinforcing the ply infront of the landing gear plate... drill some holes, 1/4 20 blind nuts and nylon bolts...
Also on the tank making a hatch... hate not having enough fuel specially on a fun plane to fly

ps swooper... the one image on Matt Winter's P-47 (another kit in the works) 1st image has a bad link to a popup thingey (link is http://zeus.rcwizard.com/fubar_hill/images/mattjug.JPG but people do not click it!)
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 AM
jucava

Plan on a stronger servo for the rudder helps a lot when you knife the plane, which engine are you planing to install?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:38 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

funny you should ask.... kit reccomends a .60 to .65 size, AND NO LARGER muhahhahhahahahaha

I was hoping to get a Supertigre G-75 for her. I bought a G-51 ringed and am in love with it. I can flip the nose cone backwards and she fires to life with a click up of throttle... I was gonna ask what yall thought of .10 over the recommended engine range.

If it wont work or I get cheap I have a TT .61 I used for the engine mount size. May maiden her and fly with that one for awhile.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM
LMProd

I am finishing a Hog Bipe.

Was thinking of using a OS 70 four stroke. Or would a 91 be better ?

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2004, 01:44 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

LMProd...

How long did the build take you? I've had the kit for a few days and already have the fuse done and the top wing 3/4 done. Think it's gonna be done by next thursday? I WANNA FLY IT!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: LMProd

I am finishing a Hog Bipe.

Was thinking of using a OS 70 four stroke. Or would a 91 be better ?

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

LMProd, the 70 flew my HB just fine, but if you're into "hot dogging" a .91 is the way to go. A 13X6 APC is a good prop to start w/, on the .70 by the way .
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 PM
LMProd

LuvBipes, Thanks for the info

I am not into Hog Doging and I thought a 70 Fourstroke would work well. Plus I can use the 91 in a Tiger Moth.

Crash Johnson:
It has taken me an estimated two years to build. Set is aside for a while, Got busy, built to ARF, and went back to flying full size. Missed building and flying RC planes.
So I dusted off the Hog Bipe and finishing it.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:11 PM
jucava

The 70 will make it fly, the 91 will make you enjoy it.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:17 PM
swooper

Crash, my first Hog-Bipe first had the ST G-75 and was very powerful at 6000 ft. You should love it!
Later it got a Thunder Tiger .91 4-stroke, which later went into my 2nd one. Looks, sounds, and flies great.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

I've got a Fox 74 in mine w/ 13x6 zinger. It tachs 10,900 rpm with 0% nitro. Fly 3/4 throttle all day. Might just take it vertical if I leaned it out. Had a ST75 in a four star, its not as powerful as the Fox and about 4 oz heavier. The ST 75 will be great in your bipe. I love this plane and you will too wether you put in a 60 or the 75. Definetly move the gear up but I would think an inch is too much. I'd try 1/4 to 1/2" I've heard some thoughts that the landing gear area is a little weak moving it up gets it further from the bulkhead that adds strength. With gear on orginal postion the plane likes to nose over on a grass feild taxi. I tried moving gear up 1/4" by drilling new holes in the gear. handling is improved but gear was shaky, ended up moving it back. I have to take off with full up elevator. The big 16 oz tank compounds the problem a smaller tank would help but I like to fly.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:05 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

Cool thanks for the advice guys!

Got some SERIOUS building done Sunday and should be ready to go hopefully this Friday or Sat. Got the fuse, top and bottom wings framed and ready to start covering
Old 09-13-2004, 04:09 PM
lbrande
My Feedback: (16)

My son will be building this as his first build. I'll be helping, of course. I love your scheme, and I think that we will copy the pre WWII scheme for the Bipe.

Thanks,
Lew B
Old 09-14-2004, 10:38 AM
hans
My Feedback: (2)

Just about done covering mine going to put a 91 saito in the nose, need some advice on a prop.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:43 AM
*Crash*Johnson*

I got my SuperTigre 75 and I'm going with a 12x5 or 13x5. Not looking for super killer speed, I don't fly too fast, looking more for hover capability. Chances are may have to go with a 14x5 to hover her.

Prop selection all depends on what you wanna do with the plane. Sport flying for fun, go with the recommended prop for the engine.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Gary496

I'm glad to see a post on the HB. I purchased a Mag 80 on sale for 129.00(couldn't resist the price, after I said I would never buy a 4 stroke). I plan on building a HB soon, probably this winter. The Mag 80 should be ok for this plane?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Keep on posting!, I got one in the box for this winter build, it will be powered by a Thunder Tiger 91 FS, I don't think I'll modify anything since I fly off asphalt runway, any input on this?
Joe
Old 09-14-2004, 11:29 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

Don't know first hand about the Mag 80 on it as I am still about 75% done on the build. Should work out and if it isn't as powerful as you need, just upgrade

In hindsight I sorta wish I did a build thread on this plane... Was gonna in the begining but ya know how that goes. By the time you realize it's half done and who wants a half build thread?
I'll get some pic's of the uncovered fuse for yall for motivation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.