Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

For my next build...You guys help me decide...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

For my next build...You guys help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For my next build...You guys help me decide...

Hi all, I have so many kits to build I don't know what to start on first. I'll give you the types and scales then you let me know what build you would like to see done first.

Bridi 1/4 Killer Bee(this is original, one from Joe)
Bridi 1/3 Corben Baby Ace(Bluejay Kits)
LittleBirdz Predator B Semiscale 63" wingspan
Dare Hobbies Eindecker EIII Semiscale 45" wingspan
Flight-tech Models 1/5 Long-EZ
RBC Kits 1/12 Blohm & Voss P212-03

I also have to many short kits and plans to list. If its not here I probably have the plans for it so let me know what you think.
As you can see they are varied greatly in size and powerplant. Thanks, Ben

This is for a very near future building thread...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: For my next build...You guys help me decide...

The 1/5th scale Long-EZ!!!!

Flown in a real 1, awesome, and FAST!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Bridi Killer Bee. This is an unusual kit and it is good looking and Bridi has reputation for good flying kits. Second I just got one yesterday. Instructions are two pages! I'm a experienced builder so I feel I can handle it. Being this is a unusual kit with little instruction maybe we can help each other. I do build very slow will take me a year, I have many commitments and probably won't start until May. Power would be a ST 3250 with smoke.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
badger5964

Bladenboro?

Definetly the Killer Bee. Just build both I'll pick mine up Sunday.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
teufelhund

Hi badger5964, I hear ya, I don't think it's going to be bad at all. I am leaning toward the Bee anyhow. Unless I get some overwhelming support for another kit. I hava a US41 going in it. The engines NIB and been setting up for 3 years now. By the way you going to the April 1st flyin at PAM ? Ben

P.S. I've built Bridi Kits before, I'll be glad to help you in any way possible , just let me know.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:09 PM
badger5964

Might be at PAM fun fly on Saturday as spectator. I do not have anything IMAA legal. Fly out of the club in Stedman, Fayetteville R/C.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:26 PM
teufelhund

Hi badger5964, I'm going to be there Sat and Sunday probably. I'll be flying a JDM 1/4 PT-19 Sat. It's done in the usual trainer colors from WWII. Also probably be selling a Great Planes Pete'n'Poke and a P-51. We could get together if you want on the Bee also. Ben
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 PM
badger5964

Just looked the Killer Bee over. Wood looks to be first rate and sanded to shape. Ribs are in a neat little stack, nothing to push out of sheet. In fact all of the cut material is out of the sheet. All my other kits I've had to push out the parts. I'm concerned over the Balsa spars in the wings. They are 3/8". Seems very light, probably going to put spruce in there. Mine is the Bluejay kit, yours is the original Bridi kit. What did Mr. Bridi put in his kit? The cowl and wheel pants are plastic. I'll glass the insides of them all for strength.

I've never built on this scale before. All my other stuff is 40-60 size. I'll need servos. I have a couple Futaba S3010 with 72 oz-in torque. Planning to put those into aileron service. Think that is enough? Probably shop around for a sport type servo for rudder and tail. Any idea of what kind of torque to get?

Scott

Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 PM
teufelhund

badger5964, Mine also has the 3/8 balsa spars, I think they will be fine with added webbing. The Futaba S3010 with 72 oz-in torque should be fine throughout the model. You could substitute a smaller one for the throttle however, with a standard servo 40 oz. Oh yea, the spars can also have some carbon fiber added for strength also. Don't skimp on the servos, especially for the elevator and rudder. (This is what I'm using) Another servo to use would be a Hitec HS-645MG High-Torque 2BB MG Servo or the Futaba S3305 Servo High-Torque Standard w/Metal Gears
. Ben
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
badger5964

Teufelhund ,

Did you ever decide what to build? I finally started the Bridi Killer Bee in Sept. Just finished most of the fuse yesterday. I'll post some pictures if your interested.

Badger5964
Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 PM
teufelhund

Hey Badger, Definately post some pics of the build! I would love to see your progress. I have not built any kits lately. I been doing some scratchbuilding on small parkflyers for some friends and I scratched my first autogyro this past month. It's a DAG1 plans set by imsofaman here on RCU. Thers's a thread on it in autogyro section. Here's the link if you'd like to see it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3196447/tm.htm I am staring a TreeHopper build this week for my next project. It's going to be my new AV platform. How do you like the BJ kit? Any problems with anything? Best Regards, Ben
Old 11-12-2006, 06:40 PM
teufelhund

Hey Badger, I forgot to mention I had a chance to visit the field you fly at about a month ago. It was a little windy but a few guys were flying. I remember one guy had a red trailer behind a white dodge truck I think. Was'nt you, was it? Ben
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 PM
badger5964

Sorry not me, I do not have a trailer. I hope the fliers were friendly to you at Fayetteville R/C Club.

The kit has really nice wood and fine packaging, but the instructions leave much to be desired. In progress photos would help tremendously. But I had no problems with fuse. I did make some changes. Plans call for stringers only on the turtle deck, I sheeted with 1/16" balsa. I also did not like the simple butt together construction of the fuse sides, so I reinforced the corners with 1/2" triangle. Plans called for alot of reinforment of front end with 1/2" triangle but I've seen alot of 1/2" and some 3/4" triangle on .60 size models so replaced with all 3/4". Chose a ST 3250 for power and it needed to stick way out there to clear the cowl, so I added another 1/4" peice of ply to firewall. I then cut rings of 1/4" ply to bring out ST 3250 to proper location. All this adds weight so I went back and cut lightening holes in the rear of the fuse.

Thats alot of modifications to just the fuse but I'm on the high end of power and don't want it busted up.

Glued everything together and did a little rough sanding. I like to get all the major building done then do the finish sanding when all peices are complete. I takes me quite awhile to build a kit, might be 3-4 months before I finish, a fully finished peice just get full of dings and dents during this time. I little ugly but here they are.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11406.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	560501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32171.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	560502  
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 AM
KrisG

hi there badger,

any progress on this build? would love to see some more pictures of this!

Kris G
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man! I'm still reeling at the thought of the mind that can have these as four of the six planes on the "short list" for the next model.

Your parents experimented with controlled substances before you came along, right?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
teufelhund

Hey Guys! First off, I don't know how it happened, but I didn't realize anyone was still reading this thread as I wasn't notified in any emails.(subscribed)Charlie P., I have no idea what you are trying to say , it went right over my head[X(]. Badger how is the build going? Keep us posted and try to include pics whenever possible. I have been building the Treehopper and am almost done with the construction aspect of it. I have been posting progress here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1309940 Best Regards to all! Ben
Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Mode One

I don't understand why you would consider letting other people influince what you'd like to build. My list of what I'd like to build, is so long I have no room for letting other people get a word in edge-wise, which reminds me, I'd like to build an Edge!!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Treehopper looks like fun, too.

That Blohm & Voss Company must have been a fun outfit to work for, excepting the Nazis perhaps.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
badger5964

Thanks for the attention.

Made very little progress for the two months since the last post. I have the left wing built and the right wing minus leading sheeting, cap strips, tips and servo mount complete. Never was comfortable with the balsa spars so put in 1/4" carbon fiber, top and bottom about 2/3 length of wing.

I have yet to start the stab, fin and their control surfaces before assembly. Still need to glue the plastic together on the cowl and pants.

All and all not quite 1/2 done with kit I figure. At this rate it looks likely to fly in April. I love to build but can't put it high on priority list. The shop is currently covered up with family related projects.

I'll post some pictures of wing with all the pieces attached.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 PM
teufelhund

Hey Badger! You did surface! Glad to hear you made some progress on the kit. I am about to complete the project I'm working on and I am going to make the Bee my next. I am shooting for a start date of mid February. Cya, Ben