Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass Reinforcemet

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fiberglass Reinforcemet

Old 12-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiberglass Reinforcemet

I've been told that the retract rails and engine rails in the Model Tech P-51 can be a little weak, and should be replaced with Maple or Hardwood.

What if I were to apply or wrap these rails (if possible) with Fiberglass tape and either CA or Epoxy? This should add some strength, right?

Besides, I think replacing the existing rails will be tedious and could weaken the remaining structure, specifically, the nose.

Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2002, 10:08 PM
Juice-Dog-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Reinforcemet

Kevlar,

I have no experience with a P51, however we do a-lot of fiberglassing where I work and just completed a 3' wide x 6' long x 3" thick plank made from blue foam and wrapped in fiberglass cloth. We set both ends on buckets and it held me at 240lbs in the center. So to answer your question I would "think" that fiberglassing with cloth, not just resin, would strengthen the areas your are questioning.