Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help a newbie kit builder

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help a newbie kit builder

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 AM
rsantrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a newbie kit builder

Hi everyone. Just a quick background on me first. I have been flying for the last couple of years and own a couple of different ARF planes. This is my first kit build and am unsure where to begin. The kit is a SIG Sealane. We have a lake lot that we spend a lot of time at in the summer and I figure this will be a good way to get in some flying. Anyway I have never built one of these before. I have done some serious searching on the internet for something to help out and get me going. I am mostly unsure of what glue (Thin or Thick CA) to use where. Plus I am sure there are lots of other tips and tricks out there. Can anyone suggest a good resource on the net or a good book that might go step by step over a build? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:16 AM
tuwood

Default RE: Help a newbie kit builder

Well, you certainly found the best resource already. RCU has everything you'll need.

I personally prefer thick CA for most of my build & use Medium where I have to let the glue seep in a little. (gluing corners & stuff)
You'll find everyone has their personal preference, wood glue, CA, etc...

I would strongly suggest reading RCKen's LT-40 build thread. It's a different plane, but you couldn't find a more detailed description of how to build anywhere..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3439708

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Dr1Driver

Use thin CA whereever you have balsa-to-balsa joints. If it's a balsa-plywood joint, use thin CA first then medium CA. If it's ply-to-ply or hardwood, use thick CA. If you use epoxy, use the slow-set (1 hour or more) type. Fast-set epoxy will not soak into the wood and will give you a joint that looks solid but isn't. Be sure to use CA or epoxy to fuel/waterproof all the exposed wood. Take lots of pictures during your build.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dr.1
Old 03-25-2006, 07:34 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might take a look at [link]http://www.airfieldmodels.com[/link] lots of good info.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:43 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; Did you get an instruction booklet with that kit? That's how I started.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM
rsantrock

Hey, thanks for the informantion provided. already I am off to a good start. I definatley am interested in making a magnetic building board. Donkey Doctor, there is a very good instruction manual with the kit but it does not provide any details on how to glue it up. Ryan.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Hellcat1st

Here is how I glue wings I use just a drop if you have to double you spars use thin ca to glue the ribs to you spar and leading and trailing edges get them lined up ( thats were instructions come in ) use 1 drop of ca and som acelerator get you wing build be gentle with it at this stage it wil be fragile still after I have the wing framed (not sheetet yet I mix 30 minute epoxy and thin it with lacuer thinner) I apply this with a sryinge they are availbe at most pharmacys and you can buy them with out a prescription as long as they dont have needles) i then apply the thined out epoxy to all of the wood to wood joints the less the better try to make it look like a weld the epowy thinned out takes about 2 days to fully dry but the wigs are super strong good luck and keep building.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: rsantrock

I definatley am interested in making a magnetic building board.
Rsantrock,
If you want to build a magnetic building system check out this how-to. [link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/magnetic_building_board/index.htm]Magnetic Building system at www.airfieldmodels.com[/link] . It's an excellent how-to on building one. I used this guide to build my magnetic building board. Trust me, once you start to build using the magnets you won't ever stick a pin in wood again. It really makes for a nice system to build with.

Hope this helps

Ken