Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

covering materials

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

covering materials

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 03:17 AM
Dogz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering materials

I'm very new to this kit building, the covering part I did not enjoy!!...

I do notice a big difference between coving materials.

I started to use a product called solar film it is very thin and very very hard to take the clear backing of the material if your not using an edge piece of material. The only thing is the solar film has some great colours, like metallic red..

The other material I used was PROFILM very nice extremely forgiving material with a nice wax paper on the back that is easy to take off and irons on easy and doesn't break when you pull it to hard..

Is this normal to have this difference, and after I become more experienced with covering am I likely to go back to the Sola Film or is it just crap??
Old 12-10-2002, 04:18 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering

Haven't had the pleasure of either of the materials you mentioned, but if you can get access to MonoKote, UltraKote, or the cheaper version of TowerKote, all of which are available at Towerhobbies.com, you might find the strengh and quality to be acceptable. In that order...
Old 12-10-2002, 05:31 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the last forty some years I have probably used more than twenty different makes of covering.Most all were workable.Some are suited to different types of air-craft. The coverings that are popular now have stood the tests of time. Solar film is one. Covering is like sex,your not too good at it the first time,but you don`t give up. just takes practice. big max 1935
Old 12-10-2002, 06:13 AM
Dogz

Big thanks for the tip but as an Aussie when it come to things like sex we just want to get in and finish as quick as posable.

I'll try to slow down I must admit I am working to a deadline for its first flight with my instuctor this Thurday....

I think the second one will be a bit slower......

I do like that Profilm but.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:43 PM
BrianMorris

Hanger 9,believe it or not,has some of the nicest covering I have ever used.
I don't know where they bought the recipe for this covering,but it is awsome.
Brian
Old 12-10-2002, 09:24 PM
Steve Lewin

If you don't worry about weight then Profilm is great. It's very easy to use though it's a bit plasticky looking for my taste. It too has some great colours. But I only use it on heavyweight IC models where I don't want the fabric effect of Solartex.

As I build more electrics I use Solarfilm most of the time because it's so much lighter and, I find, very easy to work with. In the UK it's also a lot cheaper than Profilm. It's a low temp film and you do have to get the temp fairly right but it's not exactly rocket science. The instructions are on every roll and they work. BTW the trick to getting the backing off is to scrape lightly towards one corner a couple of times with a razor blade/knife blade. The backing just lifts up. Takes about 2 seconds.

Steve
Old 12-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Dogz

Thanks Steve for the tip to take the backing off.

The Solar film does have some great colours...... I Think I will probably end up recovering my first plane again after a month or 2.......Oh.. That’s if I don't crash it before then!.

I think using the hair dryer on the wings would have worked better than the iron....... I was thinking of using the hair dryer while stretching the covering out and get a nice finish then go over it lightly with the iron to make sure it sticks next time.

Like they say Practice!

Old 12-10-2002, 11:12 PM
Live Wire

Hair drier or heat gun will still work .will take out wrinkles that iron left. make sure all seams are sealed. Watch that you don't get to close and burn a hole in materal.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:23 AM
Dogz

I take back what I said about solar film...

I took my plane to the field for the first time and commented about the film, the instructor said just hit it with a heat gun and it will be fine.

I stoped in at a hire company I know very well and tried it out in the workshop ...and bang....it was magic!!!!!... the wing look fantasic now!!!!!!!!!!

It just needed some more heat!!!!

Now I have 1 heat gun on the shopping list!.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:02 PM
ysrcflyer

Dogz: Just like sex: Sometimes you need a little more heat!!