Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt Question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Skybolt Question

Old 04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Rflyin
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Skybolt Question

Hello,
I'v started to build my Skybolt and am beginning to build the fin and rudder. There are 6 parts in the outer framework numbered R1 Thru R6. My problem is that R2 and R4, the ribs and the fin TE are 3/16" balsa but R1,3,5,6 are 1/4". So has anyone else who's built this kit have this issue? Is it just a matter of sanding everything to the same thickness? Why would GP put 2 different thickness's of wood in the fin and rudder perimeter?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-08-2006, 05:44 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Super Skybolt Question

I'm building the GP Extra and it does the same thing I think. The vert stab is narrower than the rudder. The stab is sheeted to bring it to the same thickness as the rudder. The rudder gets no sheeting.
Have fun, MikeB
Old 04-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Rflyin

Thanks for the reply but thats not it. R2 is in the fin and R4 is in the rudder between R5 and R6

Rick
Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 AM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I built my Super Skybolt about 10 years ago, I had to pull the plans and manual to verify the thickness and assembly of the rudder. According to the manual, all parts for the rudder and fin (R parts) are die cut from 3/16 sheet balsa. Since the fin, rudder, horizontal stab and elevators are sheeted with 1/16 balsa, you will need to make the rudder parts 3/16 thick. You can assemble the rudder and then sand the 1/4 thick parts using the ribs as a gage to the thickness as they should be 3/16 thick. After sanding to the proper thickness, sheet with the 1/16 balsa as instructed.

George
Old 04-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Rflyin

Thanks for the reply George, Yes,I know fixing this is easy, having to fix it at all is the issue. This is the 2nd "mistake" I've found and I haven't glued anything together yet. And what other yet undiscovered "mistakes" do I have to look forward to?

Now to be fair I have'nt built a major manufacture's kit in 10 yrs and maybe things are different now. Are we now expected to find and fix these "mistakes" as we go as part of the kit building process? Did they run out of 3/16 balsa and decide to punch out a few parts from 1/4" stuff figuring we'd fix it? I've read most if not all the threads about the Skybolt on RCU and I don't recall any issue's with the kit mentioned.

I am looking forward to building and flying this plane and come hell or high water I will get it done, I've always been good at fixing things. If any one who's built this plane could give me a heads up about any more issues with this kit I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Skybolt was my second kit. The only real pain was the center strut with regards to incidence. I recall no mistakes in the build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77026.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	441879  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
k9rwt

Randy:
That's an AWESOME covering job!!! Mind sharing some of the details?

Bill Gordon
ORIGINAL: Deadeye

The Skybolt was my second kit. The only real pain was the center strut with regards to incidence. I recall no mistakes in the build.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Monokote black, platinum and metallic wine. Wing panels were done off the plane. I applied the platinum and wine with trim solvent. It took a looooong time.