Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Landing gear for 60- size GP Aeromaster

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Landing gear for 60- size GP Aeromaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 12:43 AM
loopnspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing gear for 60- size GP Aeromaster

I am in the process of building a Great Planes 60-size Aeromaster. The instructions do not explain how to attach the wheel pants to the wire landing gear. Does anyone have any suggestions as to accomplish this? I have considered using collars on each side, but I don't think this would work very well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Loop
Old 12-13-2002, 02:25 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Loop
I got a wheel pants mounting bracket from my Lhs that just bolts to the side of the pant. I was made just for installing pants on a single wire like the aeromaster. It slides over the wire and has a bolt that you tighten down to keep the pant in place. sorry I cant remember the name of the manuf. but it was one of the larger ones.
Jeff
Old 01-14-2003, 11:32 PM
loopnspin

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. After posting this question, I did some more research and found out that Sullivan makes wheel pant brackets just for this kind of application. So I have already purchased them. Looks like a pretty simple set up. Thanks for you reply. I almost have the plane covered now. Should be ready for first flight in another couple of months. Happy flying.

Jeff aka- Loop
Old 01-15-2003, 06:36 PM
ramcharger

I just finished a GP Aeromaster 60 this autumn and I was unable to glue the flimsey wheel pants halves together so I pitched them and decided not install wheel pants. Are you installing these wheel pants that came with the kit or did you buy replacements??????
Old 01-16-2003, 01:39 AM
loopnspin

Default Wheel pants for 60 size Aeromaster

Hi Ramcharger,

Yes, I am planning to install the wheel pants that came with the kit. I have a couple of other scale planes that have wheel pants and the ones included with the Aeromaster are no worse than those. I do plan on fiberglassing them and putting a larger light ply block of wood inside where the wire landing gear goes through to add additional strength to the ABS wheel pants. I like to feel that I fly and land well enough that I can do so without damaging them. I do like the finished look that it gives the plane though.

I have seen advertising in Model Airplane News and Model Aviation magazines that advertise cowls. I'm not sure about wheel pants though. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2003, 04:47 PM
ramcharger

Loopnspin

I never added the cowl either. I put it together but the diameter was so much bigger than the fuse. I ended up installing a blunt nose about 3-1/4" diam with a 2-3/4" diam spinner. Still unsatisfied. Actually I'm now almost complete with the AAMCO Aeromaster Too. I converted it to all screw-on attachment like the updated GP Aeromaster. Both planes are identical in configuration. It never came with wheel pants. Both are version 3's with 53"/53" swept back wings. I had both kita a long time so I decided I would build them both this winter. Both kave used ST S61 K-ring engines. Compared to todays kits neither is an easy build.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:55 PM
fbarbas

Just finished my Great Planes Super Aeromaster. Made a few mods, see my photo gallery. Test flight went well. Using a 61fx with bisson style pitts muffler. I have a 91fx new in a box for it.
It was my second kit, after building the King Kobra, It almost turned me off kit building .

Good Luck with your aeromaster
Old 01-16-2003, 08:06 PM
at6fan
My Feedback: (13)

Default Aeromaster

I'm just finishing my aeromaster with both wings swept. I installed the stock wheel pants with fiberglass reinforcing and a lite ply stiffener on the mount side. I used the sullivan wheel pant mounts. I've used them before and they work great. There are a number of aftermarket cowls available. I highly recommend their use. Fiberglass Masters has a neat one with cowl blisters for about 26 bucks plus shipping. I'm sticking a 91 FX up front for unlimited vertical. Pay attention to the proper wing incidence mounting and it will fly like a dream.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:49 PM
airbarron

Default 91 in the aeromaster?

Just wondering wat everyone else thinks about putting the 91FX in the Aeromaster... Mine is about 70% completed, and cannot guage weight and balance yet, but would like to maintain a light wing loading.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:41 AM
loopnspin

Default 91 FX in Aeromaster

Hey airbarron,

Thought I would get back to you regarding the 91 FX in the Aeromaster. In my opinion, this would be considerably too much engine for it. I am using a Saito .91 four stroke in mine. This past weekend at our field, another member flew this plane with a Saito .72 and it pulled it around pretty well. Vertical performance wasn't bad either. Whether it was unlimited vertical or not I can't say. He built his with a 52 inch straight top and bottom wings. I figure mine, built with the 52 inch swept wing top and bottom, that it will weigh about 6 3/4 to 7 lbs max. That's why I think a 91 FX would be more engine than this plane needs. Another consideration is the maximum size fuel tank you will be able to fit in this plane. I am using a 14 oz and it just fits between the fuse sides with some foam to cushion it. I have never had a 91 2-stroke but I would guess that it consumes fuel considerably better than the same size 4 stroke would and may limit your flight times some. I also don't know if the plane is stressed for that much power. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2003, 03:21 PM
at6fan
My Feedback: (13)

Default engine size?

Here are my thoughts on my selection of engine. I watched a club member fly an Aeromaster with a OS 1.20 four stroke. Too much engine?? You bet. That's what throttle management is all about. With a big prop and tons of torque it was a real showstopper every time he flew it. I have reinforced my firewall, landing gear mount and replaced the balsa wing spars with spruce. I beefed up the shear webs in both wings. The extra weight will be worth the piece of mind while flying. I think the 91FX will be perfect for my style of flying. I have a 14 ounce tank which will be plenty of time for me. Good luck to all of you flying this great biplane.

Lynn
Old 02-05-2003, 05:09 PM
airbarron

Default Aeromaster

I think that we all have different preferences in how we like the airplanes to react to our flying style. The Aeromaster is very well rounded in respect to engine, wing, and weight configurations. My only hangup is that I would like to give it power for aerobatics and also keep it fun and easy to fly. I think I will go with the .91 FX because it is right on the line between being too aggressive for me and too weak to do anything exciting. Thanks for the input guys!!