Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig kits.What do you suggest?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
SIG Astrohog
30.56%
SIG Somethin'Extra
50.00%
SIG Fourstar 40
19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Sig kits.What do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig kits.What do you suggest?

Hi.
I want to know what people like most from the Sig kits.
Also,
i think a Sig kit will be my next project,if i will finish the Uproar 40.
Also,the 3 kits i added in the poll options,are Laser cut?
Thank you.
Kostas
Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig kits.What do you suggest?

Actually the SIG Astro Hog is not laser cut. I wish it was, then I would buy it. It requires a TON of sanding. Now the Astro Hog Bipe, which you did not mention, IS laser cut and IS one of the best kits available on the market. It flys great, it builds great.

I have owned many SIG planes:

Hog Bipe
Smith Mini Plane
Rascal 40 ARF x2
P-51 Mustang - not produced for many years.
Astro Hog
Somethin' Extra x2

I beleive that SIG makes some of the best kits and ARF's in the world. Any chance I get I throw money SIG's way.

David
AMA 336517
Old 04-26-2006, 06:25 AM
dmrcflyr2

I forgot, I have also had the 4*60.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Kostas1

The 4* is a laser cut kit?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
dmrcflyr2

I have never built the 4*40 but I beleive it may have been one of the first laser cut kits. I know the 4*60 is laser cut.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
dmrcflyr2

I just checked the SIG site. It does not state that the 4*40 is laser cut, usually they say if it is. It states die cut parts. NOTHING beats a laser cut kit!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Sig does do a great kit... yes, even the astro-hog. The Hog Bipe is a great flying plane, as is the Something extra. I've built all 3, and they've all gone together with no problems at all. Do a search for them for some recommended improvements, but they'll fly great built stock.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 PM
carrellh

The Astro Hog kit was designed in the 1950's and hasn't been updated a lot in 30+ years. No laser cutting at all. In fact, the outline of some some parts is just printed on the wood for you to cut them out.

The Hog Bipe was mentioned. This is not a laser cut kit. It has 38 laser cut parts (wing ribs) and the rest of the parts are die cut.

Four Star 40 - die cut

Somethin Extra - laser cut

Four Star 60 - laser cut
Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Kavalier is an excellent sport and aerobatic kit. I built one a few years ago and recently bought another kit for the future.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I like the Sig Mid-star 40 for it's easy construction and excellent flying qualities. I wish I had one now. I do have a 4 star 60 now, another fine Sig kit.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:48 PM
egor

I'm in the finishing stages of two 4*40 both laser cut, Both went together very well. You may want to look at the Idea on any of the 4* of making copies of the top 1" F-1 thru F-3 So that you can make a hood &/or Hatch cover as it will make access to the fuel tank much eaiser, have done this on both the 40 & 60 Make and additional copy of F-3 A little longer from top to bottom to place forward of f-3 a couple inches to run your sheeting from it to f-3 allowing room for canopy attachment. on the 40 you may want to make a couple of filler blocks from balsa for the trailing edge and also at the wing joiner. For the wing bolts and the dowel rod both looked a little weak, but that could just be me.

egor
Old 04-26-2006, 08:36 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be a man about it.....AstroHog.....not some woossie laser cut kit, heck, this IS a hobby
Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I built the Kavalier for A club member just A few months ago. Very nice build and it really is one tough little plane. Also A great flying plane. There wasn't A lot of room to get A bigger fuel tank in there but I did manage to increase the size A little. The 4* is one nice plane in the air too. SIG makes some very well designed kits so just take your pick, some just take A bit more sanding then others, no big deal if you don't mind the dust.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Devo

Is the Sig 1/4 scale J3 Cub still available? If so, where is the best place to purchase one online?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:44 PM
blw

You are right about the fuel tank area. I could only squeeze an 8 oz tank in there. I recently converted mine to dual aileron servos by using Hitech minis, one for each torque rod. I even saved .1 oz in the process. *g*

The big, big thing about the Kavalier is to reinforce the fin mounting, which I didn't know about when I built mine. The next one will have 1/4" reinforcement pieces under the slot in the fuselage. The fin wiggles some. The Kavalier will tumble easily and I wish the fin were attached more securely so that I could tumble it more with confidence. It really looks good when it starts tumbling and isn't flying any longer. I also only put in half the dihedral the plans called for. It seems to fly fine with that.

The 4* hatch is a good idea. I have a 4*40 kit in the box and will do that. I did it on a Somethin Extra from the firewall to the turtledeck.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
FrancisPerson

I just got my hands on a Sig 4* 40 and it is Laser cut

Francis
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Gray Beard

BLW, I can't remember if I got A 10 oz in there or not, think I went with an 8oz though?? The one problem I have seen with this plane is the fuel tank position and most of them have A fuel draw problem. I know I was able to get that tank in all the way to the top of the fuse and in line with the carb and it has worked out fine. To do the final CG I drilled holes in the wing sheeting top and bottom between the ribs.
This one was built for club pylon racing and it came out very light with minor care in building and A lot of extra sanding.
It hauls Mule and there has never been any problems with flexing of anything. I did peg the fin and it is epoxyed in very well though.
The cowl had to be repainted after A color match was found. The club member I built it for wanted it covered like the one on the box and it came out very close.
Like yours, it flies way beyone what I thought it would.
Our club has A racing class just for these little guys and it's A thrill to see six of them in the air and that close together, way fast and in harms way!!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Gray Beard

OOPS??????????? For some reason the photos won't come up????? That's never happened before. [&:]
Old 04-28-2006, 07:10 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Devo,
The 1/4 scale Cub is still available and you can buy direct from Sig online. I fly the 1/4 Clipped wing and it is an excellent flying plane.
Anthony
Old 04-28-2006, 11:52 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have built several Sig kits including the 4*40, Astro Hog Bipe, and Liberty Sport. The Liberty Sport is very old technology but gets me to the point I intended to make. The instructions and plans in Sig kits are next to none and may well be their strongest point. If you spend a little time studying the instructions, the planes will turn out very well. I have built kits from other manufacturers in which you were pretty much on your own as far as detailed instructions are concerned. I too will throw money Sig's way as long as the kits and plans/instructions maintain their present quality.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

[8D]Lets hope that Sig is listening (or wants to listen).

My pet peeve is their discontinuance of the Morrisey Bravo.
What a great giant scale aircraft!!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:24 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Until the post about he 1/4 scale Cub, noone had mentioned Sig Cubs. The 1/5 scale Cub is an awesome kit. All laser cut, very straightforward but still a challenging build, two- piece wing, functional struts, and the scale is very true, even has a functional flip-up window and drop-down door. There's scale gear also available. Begs for fabric cover and a .56-.72 4-stroke.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
susquach

With you all the way jcokeefe....the Bravo was an extremely cool plane.

But then, I'm still whinning about the loss of the Ryan.[]

In the meantime, the Cougar has been 'round forever for good reason....it's a great little plane....how'bout it Sig, any chance of seiing a .60 size?????
Old 04-30-2006, 05:29 PM
blw

Gray Beard- you race with a Kavalier? I would really like to see that. I've heard that they had aileron flutter at high speeds, and some of the older builders would not run the ailerons to the wingtips.

I have a Saito .56 on mine and it has never had a fuel draw problem with the 8oz tank. This was my first kit in about 20 years, and I didn't build much back then, so I didn't know much about mounting engines, tank heights, etc. The .56 is a really sweet engine on this plane and I think the tank is a little too low.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:59 PM
WMB

First build for me was a Kadet Senior
2nd- LT40 framed up only
3rd- 4*40
4th- Building a Kobra, kind of old school but going together good so far.

Whatever you decide on, Have fun- MikeB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.