Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Successful maiden on first kit built plane - BalsaNova

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Successful maiden on first kit built plane - BalsaNova

Old 04-27-2006, 08:38 PM
ravenatnm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successful maiden on first kit built plane - BalsaNova

This last weekend I successfully maidened my first kit built plane. A Morris Hobbies Balsa Nova 40 sized. It was the first plane that I built from start to finish completely by myself. It is a great looking aircraft and seemed to have a lot of potential during the maiden. I ran three tanks through it alternating from lean to rich every 10 seconds as per the directions. It was a bit to windy on the field for a great day of flying, but I was to anxious after spending all the time building it in my basement. I am not great at flying tail-draggers, so the taxi was a bit squirly until I remembered that the elevator is your friend. As it lifted off the ailerons were much more responsive than any plane I was used to flying which was very surprising, but wasn't a problem. I got it up two mistakes high and all it needed was two clicks of of trim on the elevator (was sinking fast) to make it fly like a dart. I did a few stal turns, which were a funny to see in 15 MPH wind. The roll rate was incredable about 3 in 1.5 seconds without much sinking at all. I haven't ever had an airplane that can knife edge, but this looks capable to do a knife edge loop (only did half of one before I exited the manuver). It could slow down to almost go backwards in the strong wind. I cannot wait to start learning pattern and 3D manuvers with it.

Here is a link to my BalsaNova build blog/photo-book
[link=http://www.flickr.com/photos/benbaumann/sets/72057594085078881/]BalsaNova Photo Album[/link]

The Top with the OS .50 peeking out

The bottom:
Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 PM
tuwood

Default RE: Successful maiden on first kit built plane - BalsaNova

Great looking plane and congrats on the maiden
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
copelab

Congrats on your Balsa Nova.I have been flying one off and on for a few years an it is a great plane. I finished mine with Sig Koverall and Hobbypoxy an it is a bit of a rock.It flys great an will knifedge easily because of the fuselage shape.Mine is powered with a SUPERTIGER .51.The only problem I have had is with the landing gear.It keeps coming loose.
Cheers
Bob
Old 04-30-2006, 04:28 PM
ravenatnm

After this last Friday I have flown it about 6 times. I haven't had any problems with the gear. I replaced the Blind nuts and bolts that hold the gear to the fuse with stronger ones from the Hardware store though. I had to do this, while I was building it I accidently glued the bolt into the nut and had to break them out of there.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:55 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balsa Nova's are one of the best flying planes out there.It even makes me look good.I've been flying mine for 3 years,(120 size).I have moved on a little bit,I now built a 80" big Chaos.I definetly put these two planes in the same catagory-Great fliers!Nova's are a little slower with a dash of 3D built into them.The Chaos is a much cleaner bird and flying in a 15 mph breeze is no big deal.They fly the same upside down then right side up.Congrats on your build,have a blast!
-Jeffo
Old 06-24-2006, 05:01 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Great covering job on your BN!

I "cheated" and picked up the ARF version. Morris had an auction on eBay and I got it for under $90. so I couldn't pass it up.

I'm a kit and scratch builder from back in the early 70's and haven't had much use for they-all-look-alike ARFS but this Balsa Nova is by far, the best engineered and executed ARF I've yet seen.

Everything fit, was there and went together exactly as outlined in the manual...I was knocked-out!

Power is a used MVVS 40 on pipe just like the catalog shows. Fuel is -0- nitro, (FAI) and it runs sweet.

I'm just about ready to maiden this one so here's the pix before the flight:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83251.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	482115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14542.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	482116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71016.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	482117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76698.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	482118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48576.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	482119  
Old 06-24-2006, 05:47 PM
ravenatnm

I just got back from the flying field with the BN. I just finished the 3rd gallon of fuel on thie plane. It is still my favorite plane in my squadron. It can do just about any acrobatic move and still slow down for a nice three point landing at walking speed. Deadsticks are very calm. Almost as easy as landings under power. I still get all the old-timers at the field telling me it is a profile. I have to explain to them all the I built it, it isn't a profile. It doesn't have quite enough rudder to do a loop with it, but I can fly knife edge forever with it.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Cool looking plane, is the wing removeable??

Joe
Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 AM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Landing gear is the proverbial, "weak link" in the Balsa Nova design.

I too, had similar issues however mine revolved around the entire ply plate cracking loose, (along the glue line). Upon closer examination, the plate was a laminate of 2-lite ply pieces. I decided to tackle this issue from a "through a brick wall" approach.

I removed the engine and exhaust support hardware first. Then I sliced away the balsa bottom strips on either side of the forward fuselage just behind the firewall. This gave me a clean, unobstructed area to work on a new gear plate.

I measured the area from the bottom of the fuselage, front to back and side to side. This is a slightly tapered piece and I wanted it to be snug so I started a bit "fat" and sanded each side down until it just sqweezed into place on top of the existing plate. I used 5-ply, birch aircraft plywood, 1/4" thick.

30 min epoxy, unthinned was used to secure the new plate in place. Not stopping there, I added 3/4" triangle stock to both sides. I did have to rout away some of the forward area of the 1/4" plate to clear the header pipe for the MVVS 40.

I then drilled from the inside of the tank compartment, the 4 holes for elongated bolts, using the original pattern and blind nuts. I did have to enlarge the slots in each fuselage side to accomodate the aluminum gear legs.

I replaced the screw-head bolts with hex head M50 metrics, I believe. This allows for better torquing with lock washers.

I've flown the modification now several times and have has -0- issues with either loose bolts or wobbly gear legs!

Hope this helps...

PM
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
gatorindyh

Do you happen to know the CG on this bird? I just bought one and I don't have the instructions.
THanks
John
Old 07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]Great job. It's always good to hear from builders.
We need a whole lot more of you getting back into the
kit building part of the hobby.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
gatorindyh

I just maiden'd mine last night. I wasn't quite sure about the CG, but it flew fine with what I thought would be a little nose heavy. I think I may be about 1" in front of the optimal zone. I hope to get the plans tomorrow so I'll be able to verify before the next flight . This thing flies like it's on rails. Pretty fast rolls and nice knife edge. I did have a hard time getting it slowed down for landing. I'm running an TT .46 with an 11X6 prop. I was skimming the corn on final and it still floated half way down the runway. Guess I need to get a few more tanks through the engine and a smaller prop. I bought this to use in a fun fly competition. Looks like I'll be using it for other flying as well.
It is a little ugly, but just like the warthog it grows on you!