Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Calling SIG Four Star 60 Experts: Missing rudder?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Calling SIG Four Star 60 Experts: Missing rudder?

Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling SIG Four Star 60 Experts: Missing rudder?

I had this kit built for me. I'd been doing some knife edges and thought I noticed a little section of the rudder gone where it meets the horizontal stab. Maybe it's just my imagination, however, look at the picture and you will see an opening where the elevator rod goes through. Obviously there has to be an opening but I could swear it was plugged with a piece of covered balsa before.
Any advice on if I need to put a little balsa in here or what piece may have come off the plane would be appreciated.
sorry for the crappy pic you can see the area in discussion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76971.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	456122  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Calling SIG Four Star 60 Experts: Missing rudder?

As long as the rudder and elevator have their full range of travel and don't bind, it shouldn't hurt a thing, just a pimple.

Where in Tn is Cordova?, east, west? I plan to go to the Great Smoky Mtn R/C rally in Sevierville next month, sounds like it might be a good fly-in.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:22 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

I Agree With khodges It May Be The Opening The Bilder Used To Fit The Elevator On The Ship So It Will Not Hit The Rudder.The Onley Thing I Will Add Is If There Is Any Bare Balsa You Might Seal It With CA Or 5 Min.Epxoy.Just Be Carfull Not To Get It On the Hinges.I f you Use CA You Can Draw Around The Aera With Crayon.The CA Wil Not Stick To The Wax.
Or Just Leave It Alone And Go Fly The Heck Out Of It
John
Old 05-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

It's fine...

The builder has removed a little out of the stab to ensure that the elevator will move freely... (Which it does without doing this) But nothing is missing...

Matt
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Newc

I agree with the other posters that it's OK and even needed. When faced with this sort of thing I use a trim iron and put Monokote in the cutout part which is now exposed balsa.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
parrthd

jigeye - i've built the 4*60 and that is correct, the rudder must be trimmed a bit to allow for the elevator connecting rod. no big deal. just fly it or seal it with thin ca as stated above