Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Monokote & Econocote

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Monokote & Econocote

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Buz_Bo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote & Econocote

I'm in the process of covering a OMP 540Edge. I am covering everything with white monokote and then going back to trim it out with different colors. I bought some Econocote rolls for the trim colors because it was cheaper. Is this a bad idea? Should I trim it with Monokote or will the Econokote work just as well. I was also going to try the windex trick. Will that work with econocote also?
Old 12-18-2002, 12:10 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I have not used the Windex with Econocote over Monokote but would imagine it will work fine. The major difference is the working temprature for each product. Econocote works at much lower tempratures than monokote. Just keep that in mind when you go to seal down the edges of your trim and keep the iron on a low setting. As usual, experiment with some scrap pieces to get the temprature correct.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:55 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put Econokote over Monokote, but I don't think the reverse would work, due to the different working temps as Top Shelf said. I (personally) have found Econokote to be more finicky with temperature settings. I rarely use either anymore, since I became a Ultrakote fan.
Randy
Old 12-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Buz_Bo
My Feedback: (1)

rryman,

Tell me about ultrakote. I've never used it. Why do you prefer it over Monokote?

Another thought. What if you have wrinkles later in the monokote but you have ultrakote on top. Does that mean you can't take them out because of the working heat differences?
Old 12-18-2002, 05:27 PM
jc4me2

Ultracote can take a lot more heat. It's a bit more expensive but it's definetly worth it. It's a bit thicker a heavier, but it's a great for starting out. It'll take a MUCH wider heat range to. Oh yeah, I've tried monocote over ultracote and DIDN'T like the results. Jordan
Old 12-20-2002, 04:17 AM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

rryman,

Who makes Ultracote?

Ron
Old 12-20-2002, 04:38 AM
rryman

DUH! I just had to go look at a roll to see that Hanger 9 makes it. I buy it from my LHS and never paid attention to who made it since I've been using it. I've seen others on here say that there are other brands similar to this, just called by a different name. The local LHS started stocking it because at the time he couldn't get Monokote, and I wanted to support him. I'm glad I did, I haven't used anything else since. I just like the way it goes on. I'm not that good at covering, but I think I get along better with this than anything else I've used. Just personal preference. I just finished two SIG King Kobras and they didn't turn out bad. It does cost more than Monokote. I'll pay the difference. Different strokes for different folks.
Randy
Old 12-20-2002, 04:42 AM
boxbeam

Thanks Randy, will check it out!

Ron
Old 12-20-2002, 04:46 AM
rryman

BTW, I forgot this. The LHS bought a Sig Rascal ARF from a guy that started to put the wing together, and epoxied the aluminum wing joiner into one half-upside down! I told him I'd fix it for him. They say they are covered with "Oracover". He checked and told me that it is actually Ultrakote. Anyway, I used Ultrakote when I made the fix and it matched and worked perfectly.
Randy
Old 12-20-2002, 04:49 AM
boxbeam

Cool! I'm doing a 1/4 scale right now, and want to give it a fabric type of look. Is that what Ultracote is? I am looking for a little bit of strength also.
Ron
Old 12-20-2002, 05:04 AM
rryman

Ultrakote that I use doesn't have the fabric look. I used to use Super Coverite, but found that Worldtex Natural is about the same. (I think the Worldtex is lighter). I did my AC-47 with Worldtex and sprayed it camo. I also like Worldtex. I don't use the fabric that much, but I'm sure someone else will have a good suggestion for something.
Randy