Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit buildingto plans building.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit buildingto plans building.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit buildingto plans building.

Realising that arfs are killing the kit industry, why couldn't manufacturers release plans with templates of kits that have been "put to rest," or are requested by customers? They could still keep their copyright so other companies can't make a profit on their design, but we could still have and build those planes we love soo much! Yet they could still make a "few" bucks too.

Or are we consigned to learn CAD engineering? (Maybe that wouldn't be all too horrible/ or maybe it would!)
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
nickj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kit buildingto plans building.

Not a bad idea. Of course, once you're into plans building the restrictions of limited kit selection disappear, and you have literally thousands of choices.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:05 PM
EscapeFlyer

That's kinda' where I was going.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 AM
huggins

Actually some manufacturers will sell the plans only. Balsa USA sells them and so does Great Planes. I bought a set of plans for the Giant Aeromaster from GP's about a year ago. There are no "templates" of course. Kit plans don't necessarily come with enough information to build it from scratch and you have to fake-it a little. But, that makes it fun. Also, some of the "classics" like Ultrasports, Sportsters, Kaos, Ugly Stiks, Hots, etc. are available from Model Airplane News and RCM Plans Service (I think they are still up and running even though the magazine is not) because they were originally magazine build features before they were kitted. Check them out.

Mike
Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Dr1Driver

Also, many of the older kits are being re-released. Building from plans, without instructions, isn't that hard if you've already built several kits of moderate complexity. Most assembly procedures are basically the same, with only a few exceptions.

Dr.1
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

I always try to save the plans from any airplanes that I build. Unfortunately most kit plans to not have all of the views of ribs, formers, etc to make a replacement. Oftentimes I have actually saved the former or rib die 'cutouts' to use for the future.

David
AMA 336517
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

What I have begun to do with all of the kits I build is actually trace each part onto light weight cardboard, It is only the die cut, laser cut or cnc cut parts you need to trace as most sticks and sheeting can be purchased at your local hobby shop. I also make note on each piece what it is made of, light ply, aircraft ply, balsa, and also mark the number of each piece inside the tracing. This does two things, it give me the ability to cut and make new pieces if I need them, but also gives me the ability to have the plans enlarged as I now have scale tracings of each piece, enlarge the plans, enlarge the tracings, enlarge the plane......a little extra work but guarantees I can get parts at a later date.

PS I use a fine tip drafting pen to do this, the ink does not run and the line is fine enough that it does not enlarge the size of the piece and when I cut them I know to cut and sand to shape right on the line.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
EscapeFlyer

I was thinking that they would not have to redesign the blueprints at all, but offer templates for the parts that cannot be determined off of the plans. Some people are very good at doing this. I would love to see a "How to cut ribs for a Ultra Sport without templates."

Now, I realize that the US 60 is already available on plans with templates from rcmmodeler.com, which I have recently ordered. But how about plans and templates for the corsair, or the CG Super Chipmunk? These kits are not out of production yet, but may someday be. Or how about the Sig Liberty Sport biplane?

I think this just makes sence. But then, it is only me.